No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Larry Merchant Ends His HBO Run This Saturday Night

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TBear View Post
    He has been part of boxing alot longer than any here has been a fan. I will miss his contributions.

Larry Merchant(circled below)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Yeah a few days ago I was watching one of the old school HBO programs with him and Tyson and they talked about him being at the Ali/Liston 2 fight and witnessing the phantom punch.

Comment

what are we suppose to feel sorry for him because he's up in age? he should've been gone years ago. his obligation, for years, was to his employer not to boxing fans so he WAS biased and it had nothing to do with being a mayweather fan or whoever fan. his track record when he wrote for the philly daily news and the paper in ny was biased and borderline racist and it carried over to hbo because he thought he was bigger than the game and he wasn't. good riddance

Comment

Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
        He started off well.... Over the years he's become jaded.... But he's been in the game longer then I've been alive..... Hope he enjoys the remainder of his time on earth doing whatever he loves
        Same post different thread.....

Comment

Originally posted by rckdees View Post
          what are we suppose to feel sorry for him because he's up in age? he should've been gone years ago. his obligation, for years, was to his employer not to boxing fans so he WAS biased and it had nothing to do with being a mayweather fan or whoever fan. his track record when he wrote for the philly daily news and the paper in ny was biased and borderline racist and it carried over to hbo because he thought he was bigger than the game and he wasn't. good riddance
          Absolutely !

Merchant was seriously overrated.

People get complacent after seeing the same face for years.

Good Job !

Comment

He was just getting hateful, not sad at all that he is stepping away. I wish him the best.

Roy, Jim, and Max will do just fine without him.

Comment

I wouldn't mind to see some one hour special or something where Merchant ranks the best fights he saw on HBO.

Comment

Good on him for having a long successful career. There were time when I liked and disliked him.

I can't say I'm at all disappointed he is finally leaving though. It was time.

Comment

I think I would like him if he was 20 years younger, but I have always hated his post fight interviews. Then again I hate the idea of a post fight interview, especially when its a war and the guys need some time, they don't need to be bombarded with questions and Larry always would ask big questions, that I am assuming a guy that just went 12 rounds, probably wouldn't be in the right mindset to answer. Also hate how they show the knock out to a a guy that just got knocked out, and then ask them to tell him what happened.
                  Well I got knocked the fuuck out Larry, don't really wanna talk about it right now.
                  End of the day, always liked his input during the fights, but he is way too old and has been for a while, time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by An Enigma View Post
                    I have been waiting for this for a couple of years now. Kellerman is so much better with interviews and commentary.
                    Kellerman? yeah right! watch Berto vs Guerrero and tell me he is not biased towards Berto unless you are a Berto fan. Goodluck HBO with Jim and Max... I love Roy Jones and Lewis as alternative, but Jim and MAx? they are both "YES HBO!"... Good luck Merchant and thanks for adding more colors in boxing...

Comment

it's been a roller coaster ride with merchant but the sport will never be the same without those post fight interviews. thanks for the memories ol' timer

Comment

Working...
                      X