"Garcia needs to teach Rios how to adjust to boxers" - Cooper

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Garcia needs to teach Rios how to adjust to boxers" - Cooper

Very insightful...

You can tell a boxer what to do but you can't do the fighting for him.

Rios will always be Rios.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Matty Ice View Post

at this stage, i agree 100%.

rios is going to get tagged and revert to his old habits. there's no way to prevent it. if he can't overcome an opponent with his size and his chin, then he'll lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Matty Ice View Post

Agreed!! I believed most of these top name trainers knows what they're doing. I'm pretty sure Robert tells and teaches rios but it's up to the fighter to execute what he learned.

Comment

I agree that at this stage in Rios career, you're not going to change his identity as a fighter. But I don't think that's what Cooper is talking about. He's talking about adjustments. Adjustments aren't wholesale changes to a fighter's style or even their strategy, they are tweaks. And I think Garcia as a trainer is obligated to AT LEAST come up with slight adjustments and tweaks to Rios game that aren't too far from his core identity as a fighter to deal with a guy who is out boxing him. It's basically like Rios just assumed he'd be able to lure Alvarado into another brawl, and when he wasn't successful, he had no alternative strategy.

Now everyone has the blueprint on how to beat Rios...and until he decides to adjust to deal with boxers like how Abril or Alvarado fought him, he's open to more losses. I know this is easier said than done, but to get to the next level, it's necessary.

Comment

He should be able to considering he such a big time trainer.

Comment

Rios gotta learn the Hopkins hold and hit style

Comment

Working...
              X