No announcement yet.

You've got to give Andre Ward credit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    "Honest" would be nice. People praised Kovalev's 2nd victory over a broken down Pasqual, who had been a joke for a while, who Kovalev already beat, AND who's previous win (Gonzalez) was an absolute robbery. You think these people wouldn't consider Barrera to be a good win?
    For one, almost no-one thought Pascal II was a worthwhile fight, including most Kov fans. Those who did might praise Kovalev for fighting Barrera but their opinions can probably be discounted. I think if Kovalev had been fighting Barrera he would have caught some flack for it - same way he did for Agnew and Caparello, both of whom were undefeated prospects of approximately the same level as Barrera. Not much, but some.

The difference is in the circumstances - while Kovalev was a world champion at the top of his game, Ward was a guy moving up to a new weighclass after a major lay-off, therefore he deserves some praise for taking on an unknown but potentially dangerous LHW prospect, whereas for Kovalev it would have been considered a step down. That doesn't however, turn Barrera into a world class LHW. Unless he now goes on to achieve greatness, he'll be viewed as just another prospect - the guy who in 5 years time will have people scratching their heads and going 'who was this dude' when they look at Andres resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Smith is pretty much on the level of Golovkin's opponents and Barrera is arguably better than anyone Golovkin has fought (if that sounds shocking, give it some thought).

There's a few sad twats who pretend Ward ducked gg and was "forced" to fight Kovalev but no one really puts any stake into what they say.

Andre is a humble, quiet, intelligent guy, who is going after a nightmare opponent. To hate on that, you've got to be a pretty miserable fker.
      Ok let's hear you argue that Barrerra is better than Lemeiux, Murray,Geale,Macklin,even Wade...what has he done that is so special to be on the level of former world champions and multiple top 10 rated contenders who've fought top level competition?

I could argue he's no better than Wade honestly..never beat anyone, very few pro fights, somehow got ranked very high by a terrible organization...

But if it makes you feel better thinking what you do then keep at it...

And I agree with the last part, it's unfortunate more Americans don't get behind Ward but that's his fault partly by fighting so infrequently the past few years after the super 6

Comment

His entire career is masqueraded.

I'm not impressed by his style he needs to fight cleaner and knock guys out he is a boring cautious first fighter who is gun shy and when it comes to fighting someone who is a better fighter than you i.e. Kessler and Froch he decides to hug them down for 12 rounds or whatever throw as many illegal punches and headbutt them into oblivion.

Certainly not an impressive fighter at all, I think Ward is to blame for doing it because sportsmanship exists for a reason (which Ward has none of) and secondly the referees are to blame for letting him away with the act.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
          Ok let's hear you argue that Barrerra is better than Lemeiux, Murray,Geale,Macklin,even Wade...what has he done that is so special to be on the level of former world champions and multiple top 10 rated contenders who've fought top level competition?

I could argue he's no better than Wade honestly..never beat anyone, very few pro fights, somehow got ranked very high by a terrible organization...

But if it makes you feel better thinking what you do then keep at it...

And I agree with the last part, it's unfortunate more Americans don't get behind Ward but that's his fault partly by fighting so infrequently the past few years after the super 6
          Wades win over Sullivan is better than anything Barrera ever done.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
            I don't now how anyone can hate Ward no bull****, no hype, just a proven great fighter.
            I haven't seen anything that proves he's a "great" yet.

Very good yes. But definitely no great by any stretch.

Comment

just hope there's no last minute stuff

almost seems to good to be true

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                I haven't seen anything that proves he's a "great" yet.

Very good yes. But definitely no great by any stretch.
                Alright, I'll humour you and pretend the super six didn't happen. Would a win over Kovalev prove his greatness in your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by Shrap View Post
                  Alright, I'll humour you and pretend the super six didn't happen. Would a win over Kovalev prove his greatness in your opinion?
                  No I remember the super six quite clearly. But he didn't beat no Kessler. That's for sure. He did very well vs Carl Froch and Abraham etc. But is that greatness? Not really to me.

And especially since he hasn't really done anything since then. That was 2011 when he fought Froch.

If he beats Kovalev he goes down in the HOF for me. Right now, I wouldn't put him there.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                    No I remember the super six quite clearly. But he didn't beat no Kessler. That's for sure. He did very well vs Carl Froch and Abraham etc. But is that greatness? Not really to me.

And especially since he hasn't really done anything since then. That was 2011 when he fought Froch.

If he beats Kovalev he goes down in the HOF for me. Right now, I wouldn't put him there.
                    That's fair. Personally, I disagree about Kessler (it wasn't pretty but Ward won) but I can understand your point of view.

I agree on Kovalev. Whoever wins goes straight into the HOF and will be the current P4P #1 by a long shot.

Comment

He won't get that respect because large parts of NSB are so threatened by the idea of Ward beating their favorite fighters that they are still insisting he won't Kovalev. Even if Ward wins that fight, they'll make up excuses why it doesn't count.

Comment

Working...
                      X