No announcement yet.

How can I beat this guy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
    Thanks a lot. I'm in Tokyo too, but unfortunately I won't have any time until after the match.
    Your jab is getting better than in the first video I saw. You are learning fast.

Good stuff.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep it in mind, about footwork out-positioning him, but unfortunately I don't think I'll have any time to practice it because of my condition right now. I was hoping to go to the gym today but still feel sick, so the way it's going I'll be lucky if I can go to the gym tomorrow.

As for the video of him from last year, I noticed the same thing about his poor footwork, but that was last year! I think he's improved a lot since then.
      Don't give him too much respect.

Be wary of your opponent, surely, but regard yourself as better.

Walk through some of that flim flam he throws and crack him with the right.

You are the more powerful puncher, as evidenced by that final shot, he doesn't like to get hit, it seems he quit halfway through the round!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
        Your jab is getting better than in the first video I saw. You are learning fast.

Good stuff.
        Thanks for the compliment! I appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
          Don't give him too much respect.

Be wary of your opponent, surely, but regard yourself as better.

Walk through some of that flim flam he throws and crack him with the right.

You are the more powerful puncher, as evidenced by that final shot, he doesn't like to get hit, it seems he quit halfway through the round!
          Thanks for the advice.
          I had the match today, and i did what you said. I wasn't afraid of him, and he didn't hurt me, I hurt him.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
            I had the match today, and i did what you said. I wasn't afraid of him, and he didn't hurt me, I hurt him.
            That's famous. Good job

I would really like to see the fight, if someone recorded it. The transformation will be most fascinating to behold.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
              That's famous. Good job

I would really like to see the fight, if someone recorded it. The transformation will be most fascinating to behold.
              Of course! But you might be a bit disappointed...I'll explain why.
              There were a lot of surprises, and looking back it was all kinda weird. Here's how it went down:

1. While warming up and doing my shadow-boxing, I felt that something wasn't right- I felt a bit weak and that I'd tire easily, maybe because of my cold.
              2. I was quite nervous, but that's to be expected.

3. When the first round started, we went toe to toe against each other. It was totally different to the sparring video I posted. Maybe because our trainers told us to do the same thing, or maybe because we both knew that we only had 3 minutes to prove ourselves. This wasn't the best idea for him, because straight away I connected with some powerful punches- straight rights, right hooks, and I could see it in his face that he was hurting.
              HOWEVER, it felt like a slugfest...I wasn't really thinking about the advice I got here. For example the problem I thought I was having, about not being in range for the straight right, wasn't an issue because we were always very close, as far as I remember. I don't think I even slipped and moved to the sides at all. All I remember was just punch punch punch. I don't recall paying much attention to my defense, or to doubling up my jabs etc. I don't know, but maybe on video it might look like a terrible fight between two amateurs just slugging it out and not worrying about defense.

4. I had ZERO support from the crowd. It's actually a shame when I think about it, and it's something I noticed during the match. Most of the people watching were from my opponent's gym, but there were plenty of guys from my gym too. Guys who I've been training with for a long time, at least one guy who explicitly told me he'd come to watch and cheer me on. But it was literally dead silent. It was like the noise you hear from the home crowd when their team is getting beaten unexpectedly- no noise, just silence. It's a shame- it's not like it was even a real match and it would've been nice to have some support from the other gym too, especially since I'm a beginner and it's my first time etc etc. Japanese people are generally not so vocal but they only made some noise when my opponent started hitting me in the second round.

5. Now this is the thing that shocked me most and I was completely unprepared for it- no stamina. The one thing which I thought certainly wouldn't be an issue for me turned out to be a game changer. Because it was only a 1:30 round I thought i wouldn't have to worry about energy, even if it was a fast-paced fight, but after the first round I had no energy left in my arms. When I started the second round, I didn't feel like I could punch him much more. However, I still went toe to toe with him again- perhaps I should've fought more defensively. I also kind of gave up...I just wanted the final bell to sound. I was kinda fed up with all the pressure and training, just for 3 minutes of boxing, and I didn't really feel like enjoying the match, just getting it over and done with. Maybe this will be evident on the video. I've also noticed a tendency in me to give up when I feel I've done enough. Like, ok I've shown everyone that I can fight, so to hell with it.

6. More problems with headgear. I'm sick of using headgear now. This time, halfway through the second round my headgear came down and was obstruction my vision- I could barely see the top half of my opponent, and it took an awfully long time for the referee to notice and stop for my trainer to readjust it. In the meantime he's hitting me a lot and i'm just trying to get away for a second.

7. He won. After the match the judges said something like "it's a draw, but the winner on advantage points is the red corner!"
              In his winning speech he said that he thought I actually won, and several people came up to me and said they thought I won, but in my opinion I lost because that was the judges' decision. To be honest I don't care about winning or losing in this case. The competition is me vs me, competing against myself to be the best i can be. But, it would be very nice to have a trophy right now- and I'm thinking, maybe if I had just tried that little bit harder in the second round that trophy would have been mine.

So that's all I have to say...a huge learning experience for me. I feel like boxing isn't only about training and improving skill-wise, but also getting to that point where you can keep a cool head and actually remember all training in a match.

Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

You accounted well for yourself. Sounds like that first half round was a fight. That arms heavy is a mental trap, just keep swinging and your power will resurface, once the mental plateau subsides.

also loss. Every man must learn to deal with loss in his life. Even champions are brought low by personal tragedies, and ect. When this occurs, how you deal with the loss is what defines you as a man. Just keep throwing, even if you can't feel your arms!

I'd still like to see the fight.

Comment

Working...
                X