No announcement yet.

Greatest Lightweight Title Fights Of All-time Poll

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Jackal View Post
    Very nice just goes to show how good Gans was i believe he broke his hand of Nelsons head but some how he pulled it out late in the fight no question as to Nelsons toughness a hard man to boot.

Whats your top 5?

Must look up that fight thanks man.
    You're probably right about Gans and him breaking a hand. I believe I read the same thing regarding one of their fights.

The first fight ended in a DQ win for Gans in the 42nd round. Nelson was finally stopped for low blows.

Regarding my top 5 well, I'm not sure I can give you one. But for sure the LW's have provided some great fights over the years. The problem is that there really aint no footage of the old fights so one has to rely on old newspaper reports. But I go with Threadstealer (Corrales-Castillo I) as being the best I saw. Mancini-Arguello was also great.

I don't rate Chavez-Rosario as a great fight because Chavez was so unexpedtedly dominant. Still the fight was memorable. The didn't need a ring. The fight could have taken place in phonebooth.
    Last edited by BattlingNelson; 12-06-2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BatTheMan View Post
      You're probably right about Gans and him breaking a hand. I believe I read the same thing regarding one of their fights.

The first fight ended in a DQ win for Gans in the 42nd round. Nelson was finally stopped for low blows.

Regarding my top 5 well, I'm not sure I can give you one. But for sure the LW's have provided some great fights over the years. The problem is that there really aint no footage of the old fights so one has to rely on old newspaper reports. But I go with Threadstealer (Corrales-Castillo I) as being the best I saw. Mancini-Arguello was also great.

I don't rate Chavez-Rosario as a great fight because Chavez was so unexpedtedly dominant. Still the fight was memorable. The didn't need a ring. The fight could have taken place in phonebooth.
      I just asked man ok if you dont want its true that Nelson broke his hand read the other day.

Well a few guys put up good top 5 lightweights Gans was in there i didn't pick him but i got it from a sound guy sharing is caring.

Poor Nelson wouldn't let him go another round ouch my head.

Comment

Let me add that the fight was stopped under protest from Nelson. However the ref had seen enough as Nelson came out of his corner and squared off against one of the ringposts....
        I just checked the papers and the post fight reports. None of them gave the account of Nelson squaring off against the ringpost at the time of the stoppage. The stoppage came as the dane was defenseless only throwing harmless blows in Wolgast's direction while Wolgast was punishing the battler with lefts and rights.

So either the ringpost story is from another fight or just some fight lore. I cannot find the article where I read the story .

Comment

I just checked the papers and the post fight reports. None of them gave the account of Nelson squaring off against the ringpost at the time of the stoppage. The stoppage came as the dane was defenseless only throwing harmless blows in Wolgast's direction while Wolgast was punishing the battler with lefts and rights.

So either the ringpost story is from another fight or just some fight lore. I cannot find the article where I read the story .
          Its prob 1 of those myths like Willie Pep winning a round without throwing a punch.

Id imagine some fighters are capable pf of bashing the ring post but ive not heard it there's a book called "The San Francisco fighters" maybe there's something in there about it.

Thanks man for Wolgast most look him.

Any chance of a bit of Rep seen as ive been robbed a few points?

Comment

I found it!

"...Despite his condition, Gans had punished Nelson severely in their three bouts. Yet he admitted that while "I hit him blows with which I have knocked out many heavier men ... they had no effect other than to snap Bat's head back. He is simply impervious to punishment." Bat himself liked to gloat, "I ain't human." Doctors who examined him seemed to agree. They were amazed by his "quiet" nervous system, his abnormally low heart beat, his phenomenal recuperative powers.

These qualities were put to the supreme test when Nelson met Ad Wolgast, the Michigan Bearcat (BAT: Michigan Wildcat as far as I know), in a title match at Point Richmond, Calif. In losing his crown to the younger man, Nelson proved every inch a champion. When referee Eddie Smith stopped the slaughter in the 40th round, the blood-smeared Battler begged that he be allowed to continue. "I can beat him," he protested. But the Bat couldn't even find Wolgast. Just before the end, he had squared off menacingly against a ringpost."

Source: http://boxingbiographies.com/bio/ind...d=17&Itemid=29

Comment

I found it!

"...Despite his condition, Gans had punished Nelson severely in their three bouts. Yet he admitted that while "I hit him blows with which I have knocked out many heavier men ... they had no effect other than to snap Bat's head back. He is simply impervious to punishment." Bat himself liked to gloat, "I ain't human." Doctors who examined him seemed to agree. They were amazed by his "quiet" nervous system, his abnormally low heart beat, his phenomenal recuperative powers.

These qualities were put to the supreme test when Nelson met Ad Wolgast, the Michigan Bearcat (BAT: Michigan Wildcat as far as I know), in a title match at Point Richmond, Calif. In losing his crown to the younger man, Nelson proved every inch a champion. When referee Eddie Smith stopped the slaughter in the 40th round, the blood-smeared Battler begged that he be allowed to continue. "I can beat him," he protested. But the Bat couldn't even find Wolgast. Just before the end, he had squared off menacingly against a ringpost."

Source: http://boxingbiographies.com/bio/ind...d=17&Itemid=29
              Good stuff Bat. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X