No announcement yet.

I got put in to get my ass kicked...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got put in to get my ass kicked...

I had a sparring session and before I went in I heard the coach telling the more experienced guys (I only started boxing recently) that he was going to put them in with the new guys. So I watched the sparring while hitting the bag and they're going light, like I expected, they're tapping the new guys and basically just showing them when their hands are down etc.

Then I go in, and **** this **** I've never been so discouraged in my life. I straight up went in there and took hits like I've never taken before. If I made the slightest mistake I would catch hits from every angle at what felt like full force. I stayed in for 3 rounds and got cycled through 3 of our experienced boxers. Holy **** at the end of the round every one was marked by the blood and mucous spewing out of my face.

When the bell went to signify the end of round 3 I just spit my mouthguard out tore off my gloves and headgear and jumped out of the ring. I don't know what it was but I've literally never been so ****ing pissed off in my life. I went and hit the heavy bag full force for the next 20 minutes and went home.

The worst thing is I'm not even mad at my coach or the boxers, I'm pissed off at myself. I knew why I was getting my ass kicked and I couldn't do anything about it. My form was ****, I was dropping my gloves and I was leaving my hand out like some dumb **** who's never thrown a punch in his life.

I'm not going to quit but after a session like that I feel like I'll never get to the point that I want to as far as boxing goes. Yet the head coach still thinks I'm going to be ****ing amazing and keeps working 1 on 1 with me. I feel like I'm being lied to and this is all a bunch of bull****.

Originally posted by 2ofEverything View Post
    I had a sparring session and before I went in I heard the coach telling the more experienced guys (I only started boxing recently) that he was going to put them in with the new guys. So I watched the sparring while hitting the bag and they're going light, like I expected, they're tapping the new guys and basically just showing them when their hands are down etc.

Then I go in, and **** this **** I've never been so discouraged in my life. I straight up went in there and took hits like I've never taken before. If I made the slightest mistake I would catch hits from every angle at what felt like full force. I stayed in for 3 rounds and got cycled through 3 of our experienced boxers. Holy **** at the end of the round every one was marked by the blood and mucous spewing out of my face.

When the bell went to signify the end of round 3 I just spit my mouthguard out tore off my gloves and headgear and jumped out of the ring. I don't know what it was but I've literally never been so ****ing pissed off in my life. I went and hit the heavy bag full force for the next 20 minutes and went home.

The worst thing is I'm not even mad at my coach or the boxers, I'm pissed off at myself. I knew why I was getting my ass kicked and I couldn't do anything about it. My form was ****, I was dropping my gloves and I was leaving my hand out like some dumb **** who's never thrown a punch in his life.

I'm not going to quit but after a session like that I feel like I'll never get to the point that I want to as far as boxing goes. Yet the head coach still thinks I'm going to be ****ing amazing and keeps working 1 on 1 with me. I feel like I'm being lied to and this is all a bunch of bull****.
    You know how you can be guaranteed that you won't get to the point that you are aiming for? By quitting now. That's the difference between champions and the guys who fall off...i've seen it so many times in my gym, people have got schooled in sparring (usually the guys still relatively inexperienced) and I've never seen them again...that's the people that are just not cut out for the sport.

You gotta take the hits, realise where you went wrong and go and improve...everyone is the same - I had my share of sparring experiences where I was caught...bloody mouth, busted nose...fatigued and frustrated at being outclassed quite frankly. But it's like a circle...after some time you'll be the one laying that down on the newbies.

I don't know what you expect if you have only recently started boxing - natural talent will only get you so far - before you have put in the work, the people who have will always be superior. Doesn't mean you can't get to that level though...

Take some time off if need be, calm yourself down, re-evaluate and get back in there...otherwise you are giving up and that's simply not an option in boxing.

Comment

Never been a fan of those coaches that throw you to the sharks straight away to see what your made of. Don't get annoyed, sparring is a learning experience and now you know what it's like, you can only get better. Don't quit, keep at it and you'll get better. Just make sure that this isn't an everyday thing.

Comment

You didn't get dropped? You didn't get stopped? No KO!
        You got a lesson, a hard one but just a lesson! If you talk in the gym, STOP!
        Kreep your eyes on the ring when sparring is going on, learn by watching right from wrong! Learn the differences because there is a difference!
        Next session ask your trainer what he wants out of you for the first round! Do what ever he says round to round! Shut up and do your work and show him that your willing to sacrifice! This is a game of sacrifices!

good luck Ray Corso

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
          You know how you can be guaranteed that you won't get to the point that you are aiming for? By quitting now. That's the difference between champions and the guys who fall off...i've seen it so many times in my gym, people have got schooled in sparring (usually the guys still relatively inexperienced) and I've never seen them again...that's the people that are just not cut out for the sport.

You gotta take the hits, realise where you went wrong and go and improve...everyone is the same - I had my share of sparring experiences where I was caught...bloody mouth, busted nose...fatigued and frustrated at being outclassed quite frankly. But it's like a circle...after some time you'll be the one laying that down on the newbies.

I don't know what you expect if you have only recently started boxing - natural talent will only get you so far - before you have put in the work, the people who have will always be superior. Doesn't mean you can't get to that level though...

Take some time off if need be, calm yourself down, re-evaluate and get back in there...otherwise you are giving up and that's simply not an option in boxing.
          I appreciate it man. I've been so pissed off that I just felt like writing it all out. I'm not going to quit, if anything I'm starting to realize that this might just be the motivation I need. I'm going to train smarter and harder.
          Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
          Never been a fan of those coaches that throw you to the sharks straight away to see what your made of. Don't get annoyed, sparring is a learning experience and now you know what it's like, you can only get better. Don't quit, keep at it and you'll get better. Just make sure that this isn't an everyday thing.
          The thing is my coaches have been totally cool, this was probably my 15-20th sparring session but I've never caught a beating this bad. They're usually all about going 50% or whatever but this time it was different. I'm not going to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            You didn't get dropped? You didn't get stopped? No KO!
            You got a lesson, a hard one but just a lesson! If you talk in the gym, STOP!
            Kreep your eyes on the ring when sparring is going on, learn by watching right from wrong! Learn the differences because there is a difference!
            Next session ask your trainer what he wants out of you for the first round! Do what ever he says round to round! Shut up and do your work and show him that your willing to sacrifice! This is a game of sacrifices!

good luck Ray Corso
            Thanks I appreciate it. The thing that really bothered was he was telling me what I was doing wrong and I knew. Whenever I dropped my hands or was my stance was off I would correct, but 1 hit later and my hands are back down and my stance is ****ed up again. It's like I was fighting myself more than the guys I was sparring, body vs mind. That's what really pissed me off. At least now I know what to practice and I'll just work harder.

Comment

good thing that you were not at the old Kronk or you might have been crying. Not that I agree with beating up new guys but this is boxing and point blank, you gotta be tough. During the learning curve take on the best sparring that you can, with in reason. You'll get used to stolid work and then when you get in with a guy like yourself, relatively new, you should find that you are just better than him. You gotta learn to take it as well as learning to dish it out. The more extreme situations you find yourself in the better. When fight night rolls around you'll be more than ready to face a 'novice' like yourself. If your in boxing generally the first thing that you will learn is how to get your ass handed to you. If you show up the next day to do it again, the ass kickings should subside in time as you replace your inexperience with experience and then skill. You will not beat every boxer that you are matched up against in the gym, so it's something that you just have except. Every fighter who is now kicking ass has had his ass handed to him many times while he was learning to be an ass kicker, just keep that in mind.

That was my philosophy while growing as a boxer, it wasn't easy. But then again if you were looking for something that was easy you would not have found yourself in a boxing gym.

I do not recommend daily beatings though. Working/boxing hard is one thing but taking beatings every day is another. I sparred with anybody and everybody and I sparred hard just about every time out (it just happened that way) and I learned very quickly. Since I generally always sparred hard I always wanted to work with guys who were better than myself, or atleast on even ground skill wise. And if you don't mind crackin' hard than you should not get upset when somebody cracks you hard back. Against the better guys push the pace. You will take some lumps but you will grow as a fighter much faster than those who step in to spar and just 'touch' each other. Those guys are learning to spar, you'll be learning to fight.

Welcome to the hardest and toughest sport out there.
              Last edited by Rockin'; 04-30-2015, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                good thing that you were not at the old Kronk or you might have been crying. Not that I agree with beating up new guys but this is boxing and point blank, you gotta be tough. During the learning curve take on the best sparring that you can, with in reason. You'll get used to stolid work and then when you get in with a guy like yourself, relatively new, you should find that you are just better than him. You gotta learn to take it as well as learning to dish it out. The more extreme situations you find yourself in the better. When fight night rolls around you'll be more than ready to face a 'novice' like yourself. If your in boxing generally the first thing that you will learn is how to get your ass handed to you. If you show up the next day to do it again, the ass kickings should subside in time as you replace your inexperience with experience and then skill. You will not beat every boxer that you are matched up against in the gym, so it's something that you just have except. Every fighter who is now kicking ass has had his ass handed to him many times while he was learning to be an ass kicker, just keep that in mind.

That was my philosophy while growing as a boxer, it wasn't easy. But then again if you were looking for something that was easy you would not have found yourself in a boxing gym.

I do not recommend daily beatings though. Working/boxing hard is one thing but taking beatings every day is another. I sparred with anybody and everybody and I sparred hard just about every time out (it just happened that way) and I learned very quickly. Since I generally always sparred hard I always wanted to work with guys who were better than myself, or atleast on even ground skill wise. And if you don't mind crackin' hard than you should not get upset when somebody cracks you hard back. Against the better guys push the pace. You will take some lumps but you will grow as a fighter much faster than those who step in to spar and just 'touch' each other. Those guys are learning to spar, you'll be learning to fight.

Welcome to the hardest and toughest sport out there.
                Thanks for the advice. And I'll have you know I haven't cried since the day I came out the womb.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ofEverything View Post
                  And I'll have you know I haven't cried since the day I came out the womb.
                  I do not believe that at all.

Comment

you always want to face better opponents

Comment

Working...
                    X