Collapse
No announcement yet.

George Sotiropolous

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GEORGE Sotiropoulos will return home next month as part of a contingent from the Ultimate Fighting Championship hoping to fight in Victoria.

But first Sotiropoulos must convince the Victorian government to amend laws which currently prevent him from fighting in his home state.

The planned visit of the Geelong-born mixed martial arts star will mark the start of preparations for the second visit of the UFC to Australia, with plans already underway for a return to Acer Arena in Sydney next February.

Having comfortably disposed of highly-rated American opponent Kurt Pellegrino in an emphatic display in Las Vegas on last Sunday, Sotiropoulos is on the verge of a shot at the lightweight world title, held by Frankie Edgar.

Edgar will defend his title against former champion BJ Penn at the end of August, with Sotiropoulos looming as a likely candidate for the victor, with the UFC looking at the possibility of staging the fight Down Under.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Given the overwhelming success of their last visit to these shores – which sold out just 47 minutes and set new records for merchandise sales – UFC czar Dana White said it had been a foregone conclusion the company would return “sooner rather than later”.

“The reality of Australia is that while I always talk about the USA, UK and Mexico are the obvious fight markets, Australia is one of those same sorts of places,” he said.

“A lot of tough dudes come out of Australia. You have men’s men down in Australia, guys who are tough and rugged – so it is an obvious market for us.

“Our last visit was great and we are keen to get back to Sydney again, but definitely we are looking at getting to Melbourne eventually as well.”

MMA events are currently banned in Victoria and while desperate to take Australia’s most famous UFC export back to his hometown fans, White was adamant there was no anomisity, admitting he had been through similar scenarios time and again in the United States.

“It is going to happen,” White said confidently

“As fast as we have grown we have hit plenty of roadblocks over the past nine years. But what I can tell you is it is all inevitable. Australia is a place we just got into. It was incredibly successful over there – the market makes 100 per cent sense for us.

“As far as getting into Melbourne it is going to take some time but it is going to happen.

“I know when I was there last time, everyone was saying you have to get this to Melbourne. Everyone from Melbourne was saying, get this to Melbourne and it will make Sydney look like child’s play and it will happen.”

To help kickstart that process, Sotiropoulos is hoping to secure some time with state officials to present both his and the UFC’s case, with the fact the last event in Sydney was estimated to have raised $10-12 million, certain to be one of the major selling points.

“I miss Geelong, I love it there and I can’t wait to get home and see my family and friends,” Sotiropoulous told The Australian.

“I feel like I represent Australia in the UFC. I’d love to get the chance to do my thing in front of my home fans, but we have to do some work before that can happen.”

It is understood emerging Queensland talent Kyle Noke, who starred on the recent The Ultimate Fighter television series, will also travel with Sotiropoulos, with the UFC understood to be eyeing the possibility of having a creating an Australian version of the hit reality program which would likely draw on talent from the Asia-Pacific region.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225889702412

Comment

Working...
    X