No announcement yet.

How far can Callum Smith go?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far can Callum Smith go?

I hadnt really seen him until the Froch PPV, he looked good but was clearly fighting sub par opponent. Then i heard him getting hype on sky so decided to look for more fights and my god this kid can fight!

Obviously he is a pre 10 fight prospect so i cant go crazy but he has some great tools, he's 6'4, good technique, good power, calm, relaxed, excellent punch selection, balanced etc there's so much to like about this guy.

His stoppage of Ruslans Pojonisevs is very impressive considering who had failed to stop him before.

Possibly could have overtaken Kal Yafai as my favourite domestic under 10 fight prospect

So how far do you think he can go?

I saw 2 or 3 of his earlier fights & he looked decent.

He's obviously going to have learnt from his brothers & father - but we won't know if he has the toughness or will until he steps up.

But I do think he'll outgrow SM & maybe even Light Heavy.

Comment

Nothing special, early days so yet to see him take shots on the chin and how good his power really is. But he doesn't show anything to get too excited about, think he'll definitely go further than his brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
        I saw 2 or 3 of his earlier fights & he looked decent.

He's obviously going to have learnt from his brothers & father - but we won't know if he has the toughness or will until he steps up.

But I do think he'll outgrow SM & maybe even Light Heavy.
        True we are waiting on a proper chin/toughness/stamina check, but to be fair its the same with most highly rated pre 10 fight prospects.

I also think he will outgrow SMW, but if not then all the better as his height would be a huge asset to him.

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
        Nothing special, early days so yet to see him take shots on the chin and how good his power really is. But he doesn't show anything to get too excited about, think he'll definitely go further than his brothers.
        Gonna have to disagree mate....

Chin will be tested in time obviously, but im going to stick my neck out and say his power is going to carry through a good few levels, especially his left hook which he times brilliantly and throws well. If he has to move up in weight then all bets are off for that prediction though

We'll see i suppose, i think i see something in him. I prefer him to Ogogo i know that much...

Comment

He looks like a good prospect, better than his brothers which they acknowledge. I quite like him and can see him going quite far, doubt he makes it to world title level but hopefully he can prove me wrong! I like his power

Comment

Defo will go further than his brothers...

Comment

Been a bit more impressed by Buglioni....but early days for both Callum and Frank. It would be good to see these two fight for the Lonsdale in late 2014 or early 2015 and both around the 16-0 mark.

Comment

He looks good now but the guy he fought on the Froch card was way below par, he was knocked down and stunned by a jab which the commentators never saw, the following right hand missed.

But he looks good. He has to get his chin checked.

Remember a couple of years ago most of the boxing writers, especially boxing news were claiming steven smith is the best prospect in Britain.

Comment

I hope he's getting good sparring because his fights arent lasting long! 5 first round stoppages in a row

Next fight against Patrick Mendy who lives down my way i believe. Mendy is a tough fighter who has been matched rough from a young age. Should be a good test.

Amazing to hear in post fight interview Smith reckons he's closer to making Middleweight than he is to moving up to Light Heavy. Madness considering how tall the fella is!

Comment

I think Callum's a good prospect, I've seen him spar and know a few people who have sparred with him, the kid has legit power plus he has a great frame for when he eventually moves up in weight.

How far can he go? That's a totally different question to answer. He is definitely going to get some honours at the British and European levels, which is a great achievement in itself. Can he be world class? I'm not sure. His chin will have to be tested and his stamina in the later rounds against tough, strong, championship material fighters. I hope he does good!

Comment

Working...
                    X