Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Of the recent ATGs Julio Cesar Chavez is a bit overrated by the media and casuals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    As many times as I've seen people on this forum say this fighter or that fighter never beat a prime great, the great J.C. Superstar did not either

He has 2 of the most controversial outcomes of a fight in the last 25 years and he escaped with out a loss.....Taylor kick his butt and Whitaker boxed his ears off.

some say he had a loss removed from before his title days

He barely got by good but not great Rocky Lockridge and Juan Laporte

he had over a 100 fights but Manny, Mayweather, DLH, Jones, Hopkins, and others had 40 or more less fights than him and they faced more former champions and beat more hall of famers

Some say he is the great Mexican fighter of all time......I don't think so.....there were too many great fighters in mexico to go that far and some fought better comp.....Personally I rate Juan Manuel Marquez, Erik Morales, Manuel Ortiz and Ruben Olivares over him

He is a great fighter but refs and judges helped him out in some of his biggest fights

some people have him as high as the top 20 all time.......I don't have him that high and off the top of my head I can name 20 fighters ahead of him all time
    Chavez beat some very good fighters but much like Whitaker, he doesn't have greats on his resume simply because there weren't too many if any around sfw to ww when Chavez/Whitaker were in and around those divisions.

So, when a fighter lacks true marquee names, you have to look at other criteria, such as skill, heart, dedication, longevity, championship wins, length of reigns and unifications (meaning that the fighter has beaten other contemporary champions).

Chavez was a long reigning champion at 130, unified at both 135 and 140, defending unified titles multiple times. In his time, during his championship reigns, he was regarded as the best in 3 divisions. That's all a fighter, a great fighter, can do.

Comment

Working...
    X