No announcement yet.

Do you bet on boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you bet on boxing?

If so, what is your betting strategy? Do you have any memorable stories to tell? What's your best win?

I find it quite tricky at the best of times, the more elite the fight is, the more wayward my predictions become.

I tend to write a tissue (compile my own betting odds) before I check the online betting websites (oddschecker), then I hunt for value.

Ever since that cold wet night in Hamburg with the broken toe, I've consistantly bet against hyped British fighters to mostly success (Froch, Hatton, Khan's failings have paid well). I try to stick to the rule of only betting on British fighters in domestic clashes, which can offer huge value on the 'Method of Victory' markets (Mitchell, Burns, Brook have won me money).

In England, betting is part of modern culture (we have a lot of betting shops and online options). The times I've visited America (never been to Vegas), its not been as prevalent.

Please feel free to tell your stories and strategies so we can take them for everything they've got.
    Yes - Every/almost every fight I watch
    18.18%
    Yes - But I'm very selective
    66.67%
    No - Gambling's for chumps
    15.15%
    Last edited by Cleaver; 11-27-2012, 07:55 AM.

I don't bet on a lot on fights but when an over hyped fighter that the British media is behind distorts the betting odds I will get tempted if the opponent is good and underrated. Also if I have a really strong feeling on a fight I will bet. 2 days before the Benn Watson fight I had a realy clear dream of Watson KOing Benn in round 6. Watson was underrated at the time and the media was behind Benn. I put on 30 Pounds on Watson to win at 12 to 1 and 30 pounds for Watson to win by KO in round 6 at 50 to 1 and paid the Tax at the front end. That was my best bet and I remember walking out of the bookis with 1860 Pounds.
    I bet on Mayweather to beat Hatton as it was obvious to me that Hatton did not have a chance but the UK media distorted the betting odds.
    More recently I placed bets on Maidana and Peterson to beat Khan as I felt they had the ability to to win on the Peterson fight I went for a points win as I did not feel he hit hard enough to KO Khan. I also placed a points win bet on Ward to beat Froch on points because I could not see the fight going any other way.

Comment

I do. I win more when I bet with my brain rather than with my heart. If that makes sense.

Comment

Almost every fight that I watch. You win some, you lose some. Gotta be careful with parlays.

Comment

The problem with betting on boxing is that you can wipe away a years worth of profits with one massive upset. You can win 90% of your picks and still only break even. Its easy to pick winners, the trick is to pick the huge underdog for big money. That's how you break the bank. Sometimes over hyped Euros make it easier because their fans alter the odds or American Heavyweights because American Media wants them to win so bad they alter fan perceptions and betting tendencies.

Comment

I betted on fcking Quintana i still dont believe the Thurman hype btw the kid is crude reminds me of Mayorga.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
              I betted on fcking Quintana i still dont believe the Thurman hype btw the kid is crude reminds me of Mayorga.
              happy I didn't go out with my gut on that one, went with my brain.

Comment

I bet and try go with my head. Even now I sometimes get suckered in with nice odds.
                Most of the Germany cards particularly the cruisers, I put £2 on each draw especially if I feel it could be a close fight, this has bailed me out a lot of times in the past.

Sometimes I'll straddle a bet, particularly if the odds are huge and I feel a guy has a punchers chance.

This weekend I got Senchenko, Guerrero & Quintana let me down but I got a nice profit. I don't bet much, maybe £30-40 most weekends and tend to usually make a profit.

Not sure about this weekend, I fancied Price early but the odds are a bit poor & I feel an in shape Skelton despite his age could be more durable than the bookies think.

Comment

I went with my head on Quintana, I felt the bookies had that one wrong but Quintana looked awful.

Comment

I bet maybe once a month on boxing. I lose some and I win some, but overall I would say I dont think I won money. reason are the betting odds I would say. If you bet on the favorite you dont make any money and if you bet on the underdog you lose most of the time. The odds make sure there is nobody out there who makes money in the long run. but thats just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                    X