Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some people need to realise A GOOD ATHLETE, DOES NOT ALWAYS A GOOD BOXER MAKE.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by £Hank$Moody€ View Post
    I thought the thread was about

"just because you're a great athlete doesn't mean you'll make a great boxer"

which apparently you then agreed with. That's probably when you should've moved on.

Quit while you're ahead and all that.
    Seriously, whatever dude you have not said one worthwhile thing in this thread.

So just run along as you have nothing worthwhile to say obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
      There are only so many large athletic men in the world as you go up in size the ranks thin out now taking into account what it take mentally to be a top fighter the ranks thin even more so any that get taking out of the fight game for whatever pursuit just cant be replace by some dude who is an ok athlete that happean to have boxed his whole life.

Now rugby and football players are generally smaller then NFL and NBA players but I am sure some of them could make damn good middle weights light heavies maybe cruiser but the big boys they are not.

It is impossible to say what these athletes would do in the fight game had they devoted their life to boxing instead of some other pursuit. I am sure some would be quality though.
      the average is probably 200lbs, the bigger guys are 230-270lbs, so they could be heavyweights, some of em are in fact

Thats john hoppoate (rugby league player, which are smaller than union players)

and he SUCKED

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
        the average is probably 200lbs, the bigger guys are 230-270lbs, so they could be heavyweights, some of em are in fact

and he SUCKED
        Alright some rugby guys could possibly have turned into heavies but it is impossible to know if they would be good by using guys who switched over as an example as to what thesde men could possibly achieve if boxing was their passion and first choice.

It is an impossible question to answer, other then I think some of these large athletes from around the world could have been fine fighters had they choosen that path early on. Boxing does take a special sort of person to make it to the top but I think it is foolish to say that any fine athlete that is of the proper dimension if that is what they devoted their life to early on does not have a chance of making it.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post

and he SUCKED
          There are some US ball players that have had some success boxing, like Seth Mitchell

But none of them are world class and even they are the exception to the rule.

Your point stands, sure if you took all the football, basketball and baseball players and trained them to box from a young age, you might get some great fighters. Then again you might not. And certainly not every athlete has what it takes to box, not everyone likes getting hit in the jaw for a living.
          Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 02-13-2010, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by £Hank$Moody€ View Post
            you might get some great fighters. Then again you might not. And certainly not every athlete has what it takes to box, not everyone likes getting hit in the jaw for a living.
            completely agreed. look at the way people in most sports treat an injury. they hurt their toe and they're out for the rest of the season. most people, athletic or not, don't have the toughness to truly be great. could anyone imagine putting kobe bryant or any baller in ali's shoes? they'd crumble the first time frazier or foreman looked at them wrong. now i'm not saying they couldn't be decent, but i sincerely doubt any of them could be great.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
              and the rest of the division is full of un-athletic, out of shape lazy bums!

Clearly there is a lack of talent.
              IMHO that is the problem with the HW Division, its easy to be a heavyweight just become "Out of shape lazy" and boom your 200+, I dont think heavies train like the way they used to, big difference during the time of Ali, Fraizer, Foreman they were always in shape...

Comment

Working...
              X