No announcement yet.

Maidana Admits Mikey Garcia gave him tough sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
    Hell you mean, "she"? When Mikey fought Juanma, he paid a penalty for not making the 126lb FW limit. He's now fighting @ the 130lb SFW limit, and probably walking around near 140lb or more between fights. I remember seeing him throw up on HBO's 2 Days: Mikey Garcia, killing himself trying to make 126lb last year. Maidana's fighting @ the 147lb WW limit, so they are probably not very different in weight right now. Let's not forget, Mikey Garcia is an undefeated champion with 28 KOs in 34 fights. http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?cat...uman_id=364679

garcia is probably more than 140 on the night of the fight, bro. he walks around much, much heavier. garica walks around in the high 130's or 140 range a week before the fight.

west coast fighters cut weight. many of them, anyway. i don't know how the hell they do it. these huge guys are at tiny weight classes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boxing/tag/_/name/mikey-garcia

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
      Barely. He just has good accuracy and timing. Not very fast.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
      He'snot the fastest, but he's fast bro. accuracy is a plus. The counters that dropped salido were hard to see and make out what it was in real time.

Comment

Maidana also said Broner was tough.. and he kicked the **** outta him.

this means nothing to me

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post
          realistically, maidana will probably win 2 rounds at best. he might hurt floyd in those two rounds like mosley did but eventually floyd will take over. maidana is just too limited and offers nothing else other than big punching power.
          The difference with Mosley is he was washed up, 2nd he couldn't take his spinach in which his body became accustomed too which left him weak an exhausted after 2 rounds. Maybe Madaina will lose but I can guarantee he will not be exhausted after 2 rounds like Mosley was

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            garcia is probably more than 140 on the night of the fight, bro. he walks around much, much heavier. garica walks around in the high 130's or 140 range a week before the fight.

west coast fighters cut weight. many of them, anyway. i don't know how the hell they do it. these huge guys are at tiny weight classes.

Does that include Andre Ward 6 foot 2 168 pounds ?

Comment

Mikey is kids big for his weight class but really why spar guys smaller than you especially for the biggest fight of your career

Comment

Mikey Garcia vs Floyd Mayweather Cinco de Mayo 2015!

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
                  Pretty sure it had much more to do with the fact that he was likely exhausted by that point (he sparred other people prior to Mikey, check that f*g Elie's videos) than the fact that he couldn't handle Garcia.
                  I think it's because people sleep on how good Mikey is. The dude is a really good boxer and excellent counter puncher. His command of distance is second to only Mayweather in boxing and I'm not exaggerating.

We need to understand though, sparring is not a pro fight. You do things in sparring, you would never do in a pro fight. Mikey is good, but if he fought Maidana with 8oz gloves, and no head gear, he would run a big risk of getting knocked out cold.

Maidana has the equalizer, the power. I'm not saying he will beat Mayweather because he won't, but I'm not surprised that in sparring Mikey might of gotten the best of him. Sparring with big gloves and head gear benefits the boxer over the puncher.

Comment

I don't think Mikey Garcia is fast at all, and I don't expect Maidana to have any answers for Mayweather's speed.

And I just don't think sparring Garcia will prepare Maidana for Mayweather in any way whatsoever.

Garcia would be great sparring to prepare for Juan Manuel Marquez.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

Yes, you're right. I was being too consevative. If Garcia was 141 for the Juanma fight after just weighting in @ 128 the night before, he must be walking around in the 150-160 range. The weight game is a joke. I've heard more than once and agree that weigh-ins should be the morning of the fight. This way fighters would have to fight in classes closer to their natural weight. Instead, they weigh-in at a lighter weight the day before, then re-hydrate to a much heavier weight on fight night with a size/strength advantage.
                      http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...-weight-limits

Comment

Working...
                      X