Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do fighters of the present get underrated to fighters of the past?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do fighters of the present get underrated to fighters of the past?

Yes, it happens too often in boxing
    83.33%
    Just No
    0.00%
    No, and I think fighters of the past are underrated to the fighters of the present
    16.67%
    Unsure
    0.00%

I don't think its fair to say a fighter from the past is better then a present fighter just because of how many fights they fought back in the day. Thats an amazing feat in all, but the present day fighters are going through an 8-10 week training camp. So when you step in the ring not only are you in amazing shape, hopefully physically and mentally, your opponent is also in incredible shape. This is all ideally thinking but its something to consider.

Comment

If track didn't have scientifically measured times, and track fans were like boxing fans, then I sure Usain Bolt would be much slower than Jeese Owens. True story.

Comment

Yes but people are right sometimes. We all know the former generations of welterwieght are better than what we have today. We still have mad talent in it but it looks dull compared to Trinidad-DLH-Mosley-Forrest. It's even worse when you compare it to the 80es. The other thing is that nowadays certain people require catch weights, certain people avoid certain fighters, other ones get title fights for no reason other than money,etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Cotto-Rulez View Post
          Yes but people are right sometimes. We all know the former generations of welterwieght are better than what we have today. We still have mad talent in it but it looks dull compared to Trinidad-DLH-Mosley-Forrest. It's even worse when you compare it to the 80es. The other thing is that nowadays certain people require catch weights, certain people avoid certain fighters, other ones get title fights for no reason other than money,etc...
          Fights have been made for money and fighters have been ducking each other for as long as the sport has been around.

Anyway, I do think current fighters do get underrated to fighters of the past. It's hard to compare generations, and I feel like people will always state the older fighters were better since the sport was run better at the time. It's easier to say the only champion is better than the champion with 3 other guys holding belts in the same weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotto-Rulez View Post
            It's normally not compairing current fights to fighter a decade or two ago. It's saying that a modern day champ would get crushed by like a fighter from the twenties. Only in boxing do you see that. If you said that the 1925 Notre Dame football team would crush the 2006 Texas longhorns, you would look like a fool.

Comment

Yes, specifically the heavyweight division. It's mind boggling with the way the heavyweight division champs of Tyson's era all the way up to K2 bros get underrated to the past.

Comment

Working...
              X