No announcement yet.

Joshua Clottey = This generation's Ike Quartey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D.I.E.S.E.L View Post
    dude said "I didn't see nothing i was face down".

WTF you mean, you didn't hear the ref counting right where you lay? He should be slapped. Its not like he's a rookie either, 32 yrs old, over 100+ amateur fights? It was the dumbest thing I've seen happen to a boxer
    LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

oh **** i didnt catch that. i ws there live, i havent seen it on TV

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
      Besides the obvious heritage connection, Joshua Clottey mirrors Bazooka Quartey in the way that he is sort of the "Mr. Tough Luck" of this generation. Whatever the case may be, both guys have gotten their share of bad luck in the boxing ring, and both were the sort of guys that you would seriously dread to fight.

Clottey: Received a questionable DQ against Carlos Baldomir, after leading on the cards.

Lost to Antonio Margarito after stopping nearly all of his punch output because of a broken hand, following a dominant 5 rounds at the beginning of the fight.

Lost a close, controversial decision to Miguel Cotto.

Is arguably avoided and ignored by several top dogs.

Quartey:
      Lost a close, controversial decision to Oscar Delahoya.

Lost an even CLOSER, razor thin fight to Fernando Vargas. I still have trouble scoring that one.

He was flat out robbed (imo) against Vernon Forrest.

Wanna talk about tought love? How about the way in which Quartey was initially announced the winner against Jose Luis Lopez, but then had the win taken from him and changed to a draw afterward. Talk about unlucky.

The main difference between these two may be that Ike was more popular after gaining a reputation by building his name in France. But both guys have been somewhat ignored by the biggest names. Too much risk and too little reward.. even Quartey was looked at that way by Tito, imo. In the same way that a controversial loss to Cotto makes another big fight less possible for Clottey, so the same was true for Quartey after DLH. He never got a piece of Mosley or Tito. I doubt Clottey will really get to tussle with the biggest names unless they lose and are forced to take a challenge like Cotto had to.
      The main difference is that Ike was ten times better.

Comment

gotta hand it to the Ghanaian fighters they're some tough sob's

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
          Besides the obvious heritage connection, Joshua Clottey mirrors Bazooka Quartey in the way that he is sort of the "Mr. Tough Luck" of this generation. Whatever the case may be, both guys have gotten their share of bad luck in the boxing ring, and both were the sort of guys that you would seriously dread to fight.

Clottey: Received a questionable DQ against Carlos Baldomir, after leading on the cards.

Lost to Antonio Margarito after stopping nearly all of his punch output because of a broken hand, following a dominant 5 rounds at the beginning of the fight.

Lost a close, controversial decision to Miguel Cotto.

Is arguably avoided and ignored by several top dogs.

Quartey:
          Lost a close, controversial decision to Oscar Delahoya.

Lost an even CLOSER, razor thin fight to Fernando Vargas. I still have trouble scoring that one.

He was flat out robbed (imo) against Vernon Forrest.

Wanna talk about tought love? How about the way in which Quartey was initially announced the winner against Jose Luis Lopez, but then had the win taken from him and changed to a draw afterward. Talk about unlucky.

The main difference between these two may be that Ike was more popular after gaining a reputation by building his name in France. But both guys have been somewhat ignored by the biggest names. Too much risk and too little reward.. even Quartey was looked at that way by Tito, imo. In the same way that a controversial loss to Cotto makes another big fight less possible for Clottey, so the same was true for Quartey after DLH. He never got a piece of Mosley or Tito. I doubt Clottey will really get to tussle with the biggest names unless they lose and are forced to take a challenge like Cotto had to.

Yep i feel he shares a lot of similarities with Quartey.

Quartey got jobbed against DLH and Forrest but i thought he did actually lose to Vargas, great fight that was.

I thought he was lucky to get the win over Lopez so a draw might have been a fair result.

Comment

imo, Quartey was quite superior to Clottey. no offense to Clottey, but other than Judah and a blown up Corrales, he aint got any big wins. good effort against Cotto, but he didnt think he had any real claim to a 'robbery'.

Quartey has underrated wins, not to mention the controversial loss to Oscar and him getting robbed against V Forrest.

Clottey's loses were unfortunate, but their his own fault. he did NOT break his hand against Margarito, that is a myth. it was a sprain, I believe. hardly a fight ending injury, and Margarito was reportedly injured as well. and its his own fault for the Baldomir DQ.

Comment

The loss to Vargas was fair.

Quartey had abilities but his own inactivity didn't help things.

To be inactive for nearly a year and a half and arguably beat an undefeated fighter the caliber of Oscar De La Hoya shows his quality as a fighter.

Comment

Ike n Clottey don't fight much alike. Ike was a boxer puncher who always worked off a power jab. Clottey is a flurry fighter who pressures behind a tight guard. Clottey don't bring Ike's kinda pop either.

Comment

Way too different fighters, Ike was way better than Clottey imo, Yes they have been involve in some controversial decision going against them but Ike has more claims to been robbed than clottey who seem to take some time off in his fights or use his headbutts in his fights......And Ike's jab is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Comment

Ike had a great jab...

Comment

Working...
                    X