No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Freddie Roach Explains Why Cotto Will Knock Out Canelo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjer88 View Post
    Yes - with all the heightened attention on PEDs in boxing...and the allegations against fighers in Roach's stable, Cotto picked this point in his career to start taking PEDs. Makes a lot of sense.
    i dont know about that, but he wants none of VADA...

Comment

Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
      Here's the deal, Freddie. Cotto and Manny are the two fighters I root for the most. I try to be realistic and unbiased when accessing all fighters, whether I am a fan or not. Cotto has resurrected his career in his last three fights BUT he hasn't faced a fighter with a REAL pulse. This will be his biggest test since hooking up with Roach. Cotto's explosiveness is BACK! His power and speed are where they need to be as well. His ring IQ, timing, and experience are in tact. However, Canelo is one fight away from PEAKING and being in his physical PRIME. Since the Floyd draining, Canelo has been on a mission. He is what boxing is all about. A fighter who respects his craft, is hungry, and will fight anyone. This is a recipe for a Superstar in the making. This is his coming out party for those casual fans who underrate just how good he really is. He is a very smart fighter, he is strong, well-conditioned, and has a great chin. He is very brave and has the ability to adjust in the ring. The scary part of all of this is, he is only 25yrs old and continues to improve. He is obsessed with being GREAT. That is a scary and fun thing to witness. He will hit Cotto with hard combinations to the head and body. Cotto will try and do the same but Canelo is a better defensive fighter. Freddie is reaching by saying, "Canelo gets hit too much". That is BS. Canelo is an A Level defender. At the end of the day, Canelo's chin is still better than Cotto's. He is still tougher than Cotto. In a fight like this, that matters. And this is not a 50/50 fight either. It is more like 60/40 Canelo.

Canelo will KO Cotto in dramatic fashion. The Lara win proved a lot to me in terms of Canelo's ability to adapt and pace himself. Lara was winning early and then Canelo said okay, you wanna run? I'll pressure. You are difficult to hit to the head, but the body doesn't move. He won that fight because of his ring IQ and will. He is very brave in the ring like a true Mexican fighter. What win does my boy Cotto have that surpasses Canelo's win over Lara????
      I like this post the only thing is, Canelo takes way to long to put combinations together. The problem with the Lara is he respected Canelos power way to much.

If Cotto is in superior shape and can keep off the rope for the first 4 rounds I see Cotto outboxing and working Canelos body and chest all night while turning him. To be Canelo you have to beat able to turn him.

Comment

Yes...

Originally posted by onetwopunch View Post
        - Good post, and this is what is making this fight so exciting for fans. I think Cottos wins over Judah and Mosely are at the same level or surpass Canelos win over Lara. Mosely was a live opponent when they fought and Judah was live as well. But again..what has Cotto done lately..those fights were a long time ago. The people who followed Cottos carreer know that Cotto has not looked this good since he was at 140. Granted this is againts shaky competition but his skills and punches look to be on point.

Thanks and I agree. Natural size will play a MAJOR factor in this fight. I can see Cotto hitting Canelo at times and Canelo smiling at him. I predict that Cotto's punches will not have the same affect on Canelo, as recent opponents. Canelo's punches WILL make an impact on Cotto though. I just cannot see him going 12 with Canelo at this point. It'll be an exciting fight while it lasts. If anyone gets KO'ed, it'll definitely be Cotto. Canelo is used to facing bigger and stronger opponents. Cotto is not a middleweight and struggles with bigger guys anyway. Lara would KO even this version of Cotto. It takes size to compete against a Canelo, Lara, Quillin, Lee, or GGG sized fighter. I can't wait! We're 8 days away!

Comment

Here's the deal, Freddie. Cotto and Manny are the two fighters I root for the most. I try to be realistic and unbiased when accessing all fighters, whether I am a fan or not. Cotto has resurrected his career in his last three fights BUT he hasn't faced a fighter with a REAL pulse. This will be his biggest test since hooking up with Roach. Cotto's explosiveness is BACK! His power and speed are where they need to be as well. His ring IQ, timing, and experience are in tact. However, Canelo is one fight away from PEAKING and being in his physical PRIME. Since the Floyd draining, Canelo has been on a mission. He is what boxing is all about. A fighter who respects his craft, is hungry, and will fight anyone. This is a recipe for a Superstar in the making. This is his coming out party for those casual fans who underrate just how good he really is. He is a very smart fighter, he is strong, well-conditioned, and has a great chin. He is very brave and has the ability to adjust in the ring. The scary part of all of this is, he is only 25yrs old and continues to improve. He is obsessed with being GREAT. That is a scary and fun thing to witness. He will hit Cotto with hard combinations to the head and body. Cotto will try and do the same but Canelo is a better defensive fighter. Freddie is reaching by saying, "Canelo gets hit too much". That is BS. Canelo is an A Level defender. At the end of the day, Canelo's chin is still better than Cotto's. He is still tougher than Cotto. In a fight like this, that matters. And this is not a 50/50 fight either. It is more like 60/40 Canelo.

Canelo will KO Cotto in dramatic fashion. The Lara win proved a lot to me in terms of Canelo's ability to adapt and pace himself. Lara was winning early and then Canelo said okay, you wanna run? I'll pressure. You are difficult to hit to the head, but the body doesn't move. He won that fight because of his ring IQ and will. He is very brave in the ring like a true Mexican fighter. What win does my boy Cotto have that surpasses Canelo's win over Lara????
          When was the last time that Canelo was truly chin-checked? I still don't know what to make of Canelo's chin because though he's faced strong punchers, they have not been particularly skillful or precise. It's going to be interesting to see how he and Cotto take each other's power. I know it's a long-shot, but I actually wouldn't be terribly surprised if there was an early knockout for either guy.
          Last edited by bigjer88; 11-13-2015, 03:44 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

I can see this strategy...

Originally posted by BucaRican View Post
            I like this post the only thing is, Canelo takes way to long to put combinations together. The problem with the Lara is he respected Canelos power way to much.

If Cotto is in superior shape and can keep off the rope for the first 4 rounds I see Cotto outboxing and working Canelos body and chest all night while turning him. To be Canelo you have to beat able to turn him.

I think this is part of Cotto's strategy. It has to be at some point. So, who are you picking to win and why?

Comment

Thanks and I agree. Natural size will play a MAJOR factor in this fight. I can see Cotto hitting Canelo at times and Canelo smiling at him. I predict that Cotto's punches will not have the same affect on Canelo, as recent opponents. Canelo's punches WILL make an impact on Cotto though. I just cannot see him going 12 with Canelo at this point. It'll be an exciting fight while it lasts. If anyone gets KO'ed, it'll definitely be Cotto. Canelo is used to facing bigger and stronger opponents. Cotto is not a middleweight and struggles with bigger guys anyway. Lara would KO even this version of Cotto. It takes size to compete against a Canelo, Lara, Quillin, Lee, or GGG sized fighter. I can't wait! We're 8 days away!
              - Good points, I favor Cotto in a close fight. Canelo did show alot in the Lara fight, but Lara isnt known for going to the body. Cant wait for the fight either way I know its going to be a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by icha View Post
                i dont know about that, but he wants none of VADA...
                Is that right?

I would avoid VADA too, unless forced to submit by an opponent with leverage. VADA is ridiculously intrusive, aren't they?

Comment

This is a pretty simple deal, Roach knows he needs Cotto to get through the first 4-5 rounds without damage and then he knows Canelo's stamina issues will allow Cotto to outbox Canelo to a decision. This is all to keep Canelo on his back foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckfever View Post
                    This is a pretty simple deal, Roach knows he needs Cotto to get through the first 4-5 rounds without damage and then he knows Canelo's stamina issues will allow Cotto to outbox Canelo to a decision. This is all to keep Canelo on his back foot.
                    I think Canelo's "stamina issues" are bit overblown. I hope they're a factor, but I doubt they will be.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjer88 View Post
                      Is that right?

I would avoid VADA too, unless forced to submit by an opponent with leverage. VADA is ridiculously intrusive, aren't they?
                      the only problem was that WBC started using VADA for his championship fights as a way of "cleaning the sport", canelo accepted VADA but then Cotto-RN didnt for whatever reason, i cant say cotto is guilty for that, it just looks a little shady the way it happened... no reason to use this as an excuse either, you havent heard canelos team complain about it, they accepted Usada as a request from RocNation and moved on... no excuses...

Comment

Working...
                      X