Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we need Catchweights with 17 divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There should be a weight class for every pound

Comment

its differant now..back in armstong days there were 8 weight classes

to get from lw to ww=12 pounds

ww-mw=13 pounds

mw-lhw 15 pounds

so you can see catchweights being used...nowadays theres really no point

Comment

catweights are kinda meaningless considering the 24 hour weigh in as well.

makes no real difference on a fighter if they are going to rehydrate 10-20 pounds anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
          catweights are kinda meaningless considering the 24 hour weigh in as well.

makes no real difference on a fighter if they are going to rehydrate 10-20 pounds anyway.
          How many times have you cut weight?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Jesus View Post
            How many times have you cut weight?
            lots when I was young for various sports.

it depends on how much weight your talking about obviously - if we're talkign about 1-2 pounds, not usually a big deal. If it's a lot more than that, obviously that can be significant.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
              lots when I was young for various sports.

it depends on how much weight your talking about obviously - if we're talkign about 1-2 pounds, not usually a big deal. If it's a lot more than that, obviously that can be significant.
              thats not always true either. 1 or 2 pounds can be really grueling for some ppl to lose. ive seen friends struggle to make weight. its not fun and it does take a lot out of u.

Comment

you guys make too much of catchweights. if the fighters agree, what's the problem?

I only disagree with allowing TITLES (vacant or current) to be on the line in catchweight fights. It completely disregards the weight division limits in the first place.

But if the fighters agree...then what's the issue?

Delahoya called up a LIGHTWEIGHT Pacquiao to 145...lost.
                Delahoya called up a WW Mayweather to JMW....and lost.
                Delahoya wanted a MW Hopkins to go to 157....titles on the line...and took a dive. (c'mon man, that was fixed. don't be stupid)

Mayweather (WW) wanted a LIGHTWEIGHT (career featherweight) JMM to go to 144lbs....and disregarded the contract agreement....and won.

SRL v. Lalonde
                Whitaker (147) met Chavez (140) halfway.

Comment

Catchweights are bull****!!!!!!! and we should have only 10 weights classes, <<<<

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                    thats not always true either. 1 or 2 pounds can be really grueling for some ppl to lose. ive seen friends struggle to make weight. its not fun and it does take a lot out of u.
                    yes i know, I'm generally speaking of course.

It depends on how comfortable you are at that weight as well. For example let's use Cotto. Cotto struggled big time to make 140 pounds. It would have killed him let's say if he had to make 138 pounds. 147 he's comfortable and he weighed in at 146. Going to 145 = not a huge deal.

Comment

Calzaghe didn't need any catchweights to beat American bums.

Comment

Working...
                      X