Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry, but this boxers were /are incredibly overrated.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, but this boxers were /are incredibly overrated.

I ll try to not make this too painful, but i feel like i need to say this.

a) Mike Tyson.

Great champion, makes it to the top 20 (at the HW division) at his prime.
    But considering him among the top 10 best pound for pound fighters or the top 10 heavys, its ridicolous.

He never beated a really big name except an old larry holmes and a scared blown up cruiser Spinks.

b) Ray Leonard.

This guy, many people place him at the top 20 p4p or the top 10 as a welter / middleweight.

Being honest, if the analyze his 5/6 bigger fights, he wasnt that "sweet".

He lost to duran prime for prime, being Duran a natural lightweight.

He won to a dehydrated and unconditioned Duran only 5 months later, having duran got fat and slow after his victory in Montreal.

He got a lucky early stoppage over Thomas hearns, and before that, the hitman had clearly outboxed him and beated him on points.

Later on, as a middleweight, Hearns got robbed with a ridicoulous draw againts sugar ray, after knocking down leonard 2 times.

And then, after ducking Mike McCallum and Aaron Pyror his whole career, he came to suddenly fight and old and battered Marvin Hagler, and got away with a split decision which i consider a robbery as well.

c) Manny Pacquiao.

Nothing against the pac man, big fan of his, but today you can find a lot of people placing him in the top 10 pound 4 pound of history. No comments on that.

d)Rocky Marciano.

And undefeated record does nothing to make you a great fighter if you never truly fought any good fighter in his prime, and most of your opponents were bums of old fighters way past their prime.

Let the hate begin.

Its sad to see this section of the site become a "stir the pot" zone!
    Starting threads that degrade and attack past champions is only to get a reaction. Theres no real interest in these bashing threads and thats been proven over & over again by the young fellows who were posting here daily just to promote hate.

To the OP you make comparisons of opponents but you mention no techniques or methodology used by Tyson, Leonard or Pacman.

I personally had Holmes winning close over "a scared blown up cruiser Spinks". Spinks very much like Holmes was when fighting Tyson was not in a good position to win but he was one of the greatest Lightheavy chapions and I don't think he fought at cruiser ever!

I place the fellows you mentioned in the top tweny of their divisions. If you think about all the fighters of distinction who competed in the same division you'll agree being a top twenty placement is a very high rating.

ok, go on with your "hate fest" you forgot to mention Floyd or Wlad!!!!!!

Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      I place the fellows you mentioned in the top tweny of their divisions.
      I do have an issue with Marciano. Sure, he was tough as hell, but the standard of the heavywt. division back then is surely questionable.

And, it seems it was pedrog60’s second post only. Let’s welcome these youngsters challenging us ‘veterans’ on our thoughts.
      I expect, we’ll have a harsh time, persuading the younger fans that the champs of our time would have beaten theirs of present days

Comment

Originally posted by pedrog60 View Post
        I ll try to not make this too painful, but i feel like i need to say this.

a) Mike Tyson.

Great champion, makes it to the top 20 (at the HW division) at his prime.
        But considering him among the top 10 best pound for pound fighters or the top 10 heavys, its ridicolous.

He never beated a really big name except an old larry holmes and a scared blown up cruiser Spinks.

b) Ray Leonard.

This guy, many people place him at the top 20 p4p or the top 10 as a welter / middleweight.

Being honest, if the analyze his 5/6 bigger fights, he wasnt that "sweet".

He lost to duran prime for prime, being Duran a natural lightweight.

He won to a dehydrated and unconditioned Duran only 5 months later, having duran got fat and slow after his victory in Montreal.

He got a lucky early stoppage over Thomas hearns, and before that, the hitman had clearly outboxed him and beated him on points.

Later on, as a middleweight, Hearns got robbed with a ridicoulous draw againts sugar ray, after knocking down leonard 2 times.

And then, after ducking Mike McCallum and Aaron Pyror his whole career, he came to suddenly fight and old and battered Marvin Hagler, and got away with a split decision which i consider a robbery as well.

c) Manny Pacquiao.

Nothing against the pac man, big fan of his, but today you can find a lot of people placing him in the top 10 pound 4 pound of history. No comments on that.

d)Rocky Marciano.

And undefeated record does nothing to make you a great fighter if you never truly fought any good fighter in his prime, and most of your opponents were bums of old fighters way past their prime.

Let the hate begin.
        Duran was a lightweight for as long as he could squeeze into 135. He was a very natural welterweight when he beat Leonard.

Blaming Leonard for Duran's piss poor conditioning in the rematch is incredibly weak. Duran was no inexperienced kid and he knew he was signing for a very tough fight.

Hearns was slightly ahead on points, but his legs were gone when the fight was stopped and extending that fight would have put him at risk.

Hagler might have been old, but battered?

You're just creating your own self serving facts here. You are clearly someone with an agenda. We have enough of that already here.

Comment

Ray Leonard didn't duck Aaron Pryor, if anything it's the other way around, in the post fight interview of his fight against Leonard Blackmoore, Pryor states that Leonard offered him a career high payday that he turned down, one of the biggest myths in boxing that people just believe without looking into it.

He ducked McCallum in what year exactly ?, you say his whole career so I'm assuming you mean while Leonard was at Welterweight from 79 - 84 while Leonard was busy fighting Hearns, Duran, Kalule and Benitez while McCallum was nowhere to be seen ?, or was it in his return where he was fighting Hagler and re-matching Hearns ?, wait silly me you must mean when Leonard was way past it and fighting Terry Norris right ?.

Right Hearns got robbed when they fought past prime, let's just ignore that Leonard knocked him out at Welterweight, that never happened.

He lost too Duran ?, what a ****in loser, how dare he lose a close fight to one of the greatest boxers ever, he won a fight against that same man 5 months later because he quit ? (The fight being a lot closer then most remember and Duran still making a good account of himself), what a ****in loser.

He won a close fight with Marvin ****in Hagler after not fighting at all for the previous 3 years ?, my god you're right, after that in depth analysis you gave of his career this guy is clearly terrible.
          Last edited by NChristo; 09-26-2015, 08:36 PM.
          mrbig1 mrbig1 likes this.

Comment

Ray Leonard wins;

Benitez - Prime
            Hearns - Prime
            Duran - Prime
            Hagler - slightly post prime but still one if, not not the best fighter in the world.

No more needs to be said really. Don't even need to go into anything else he did.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Ray Leonard wins;

Benitez - Prime
              Hearns - Prime
              Duran - Prime
              Hagler - slightly post prime but still one if, not not the best fighter in the world.

No more needs to be said really. Don't even need to go into anything else he did.
              Leonard does not hold a win over a prime duran but is a fabulous boxer

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                Ray Leonard didn't duck Aaron Pryor, if anything it's the other way around, in the post fight interview of his fight against Leonard Blackmoore

Comment

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,3477066&hl=en

This is on Leonard vs Pryor too.

Comment

Thread fail............

Comment

Working...
                    X