Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Being on This Forum Increased Your Boxing Knowledge?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
    It sure did. I learned that a single loss will instantly make a fighter a bum, Floyd is TBE, the sacred art of ducking, and apparently some fighters are also firemen. Pretty good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      I've been on here for over a year now and well, I would have to say I've learned a good deal since joining.

I learned the difference between walking a fighter down and cutting off the ring. I'm glad that got cleared up. It was really throwing me off. Not anymore.

I've learned who more of the fighters are than I previously did which has been great. I knew nothing about Kovalev but the posts have helped a lot.

Overall, I learned my opinions are just as flawed as many other people's. It's been a lot of fun and I look forward to future interactions.
      This forum made me dumber responding to dimwits. Reason why i barely post here

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
        Way better. There were a lot of good posters, the history section was busy every day and no trolls. Even the trolls are in the history section now.

It has driven a lot of the quality posters away from the forum. And some just post way less regularly now. But even today, once a while there'll be a quality thread in the history section.

There are a few posters around here today who were watching boxing in the late 60s and 70s still. A few who were around in the 80s and a little more like me, who got into it in the 90s.

Then you have the guys who just got into it and think they know it all and disregard the history of the sport. Complete idiots.

I wouldn't necessarily say I like Frazier more than Ali, but it's interesting to know that if you speak to Holmes, Norton, Foreman, Shavers, Lyle etc. They all said Frazier was the best of that particular time.

Definitely didn't and still doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Wow, the ones who followed back in the 60s must be able to share a lot of knowledge. I hope they post a lot more. I think the 60s was a great decade for the sport with the rise of Cassius Clay and Joe Frazier and countless others. I definitely need to gain more knowledge of that time.

Like you, I came up in the 1990s around the time Julio Cesar Chavez was considered number one pound for pound. I got into Felix Trinidad early on for his power and aggression. It was a lot of fun to watch him develop over the years. The guy could fight and always gave the crowd a show. This is something I see a lot of boxers from this era not doing. If they think they have the decision in the bag, they tend to back off and let the fight go the distance. I can understand this from an older fighter who doesn't have the killer instinct or possibly the stamina to go hard the whole fight anymore but from a young guy, I do expect more. I see that GGG has a mean streak in him and there are others as well. I am positive Joe Frazier and most guys of the 70s had that same quality. Plus they put on great fights regularly. The 1990s had plenty of great fights too but I think even then, something had slipped a bit. I saw snoozers like Virgil Hill who, while talented, fought in North Dakota all the time and often on Showtime when Tuesday Night Fights on USA put on a lot of better fights often. A fighter doesn't have to be a KO artist, but let the fans know you want the win at least and don't feel content to hold back.

I'm not surprised those guys thought so much of Joe Frazier. The guy was simply a beast and he was in there to fight every time.

Do you think the current era is weaker? Your perspective means more since you have followed for quite a while. I wonder what the 80s, 70s and 60s guys think as well. And I figure they might be more honest on here than an older fighter in an interview as sometimes I wonder if they're hyping a guy they don't think much of deep down just to get air time.

Comment

Originally posted by KING MEAT View Post
          This forum made me dumber responding to dimwits. Reason why i barely post here
          Dang. I'm sorry to hear it, man. I have found some pretty cool folks on here at times who give insightful thoughts and comments. I try to stay away from the name calling and personal insults. I don't think that's what a good forum is about. It should be about learning IMO. You have a lot of green though. So I'm sure you know plenty. I hope you post a lot more!

Comment

Way better. There were a lot of good posters, the history section was busy every day and no trolls. Even the trolls are in the history section now.

It has driven a lot of the quality posters away from the forum. And some just post way less regularly now. But even today, once a while there'll be a quality thread in the history section.

There are a few posters around here today who were watching boxing in the late 60s and 70s still. A few who were around in the 80s and a little more like me, who got into it in the 90s.

Then you have the guys who just got into it and think they know it all and disregard the history of the sport. Complete idiots.

I wouldn't necessarily say I like Frazier more than Ali, but it's interesting to know that if you speak to Holmes, Norton, Foreman, Shavers, Lyle etc. They all said Frazier was the best of that particular time.

I've noticed much less trolling now that there aren't 10 may-pac threads a day. Lots have lost interest and hopefully the rest drop off when pac retires.

Comment

Are you always this harsh on yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                Wow, the ones who followed back in the 60s must be able to share a lot of knowledge. I hope they post a lot more. I think the 60s was a great decade for the sport with the rise of Cassius Clay and Joe Frazier and countless others. I definitely need to gain more knowledge of that time.

Like you, I came up in the 1990s around the time Julio Cesar Chavez was considered number one pound for pound. I got into Felix Trinidad early on for his power and aggression. It was a lot of fun to watch him develop over the years. The guy could fight and always gave the crowd a show. This is something I see a lot of boxers from this era not doing. If they think they have the decision in the bag, they tend to back off and let the fight go the distance. I can understand this from an older fighter who doesn't have the killer instinct or possibly the stamina to go hard the whole fight anymore but from a young guy, I do expect more. I see that GGG has a mean streak in him and there are others as well. I am positive Joe Frazier and most guys of the 70s had that same quality. Plus they put on great fights regularly. The 1990s had plenty of great fights too but I think even then, something had slipped a bit. I saw snoozers like Virgil Hill who, while talented, fought in North Dakota all the time and often on Showtime when Tuesday Night Fights on USA put on a lot of better fights often. A fighter doesn't have to be a KO artist, but let the fans know you want the win at least and don't feel content to hold back.

I'm not surprised those guys thought so much of Joe Frazier. The guy was simply a beast and he was in there to fight every time.

Do you think the current era is weaker? Your perspective means more since you have followed for quite a while. I wonder what the 80s, 70s and 60s guys think as well. And I figure they might be more honest on here than an older fighter in an interview as sometimes I wonder if they're hyping a guy they don't think much of deep down just to get air time.
                They are still around, mostly those who were in the 70s era, but obviously they don't post as much because of the reasons I've mentioned.

That's the problem with today's fighters - at least entertainment wise. Not enough fighters have a mean streak in them. Not many want to KNOCK SOMEONE OUT. I can appreciate a Mayweather doing what he does and stuff, but I wouldn't tune into that weekly. It doesn't entertain me.

That's why guys like GGG and Kovalev are good for the sport. They come to hurt you badly. Probably the two only fighters out there today who really comes to rip you apart and does it.

Current era? Heavyweights? Definitely. There hasn't been many good fighters over the last 10 years or so. Heavyweights don't even run anymore, and skills, or lack thereof, horrible. Boring to watch. Even Klitschko goes in the ring safety first against small, horrible opponents.

But it seems like there's a good new batch of heavies coming through with Joshua, Fury, H. Fury, J. Parker, Dillian Whyte, Bryant Jennings, Wilder etc. Good fighters all of them, I'm sure I forgot some.

Comment

Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
                  Are you always this harsh on yourself?
                  Case in point ^^

- This guy is fan of a fighter, not of boxing.

Comment

Case in point ^^

- This guy is fan of a fighter, not of boxing.
                    Coming from you.

Oh yeah I'm dying to get your approval on that one.

Comment

They are still around, mostly those who were in the 70s era, but obviously they don't post as much because of the reasons I've mentioned.

That's the problem with today's fighters - at least entertainment wise. Not enough fighters have a mean streak in them. Not many want to KNOCK SOMEONE OUT. I can appreciate a Mayweather doing what he does and stuff, but I wouldn't tune into that weekly. It doesn't entertain me.

That's why guys like GGG and Kovalev are good for the sport. They come to hurt you badly. Probably the two only fighters out there today who really comes to rip you apart and does it.

Current era? Heavyweights? Definitely. There hasn't been many good fighters over the last 10 years or so. Heavyweights don't even run anymore, and skills, or lack thereof, horrible. Boring to watch. Even Klitschko goes in the ring safety first against small, horrible opponents.

But it seems like there's a good new batch of heavies coming through with Joshua, Fury, H. Fury, J. Parker, Dillian Whyte, Bryant Jennings, Wilder etc. Good fighters all of them, I'm sure I forgot some.
                      I agree. The future crop look good so far.

And what you say about wanting to hurt the other guy. I think Mike Tyson was quoted as saying exactly that.

This is boxing, people!

I want to see two guys go at each other hard. Like Mick said on Rocky, "Fight this guy hard!"

I do see it with GGG and Kovalev as you say, but not many others. They my be the ones carrying the load for a while. I remember a lot of tough mean guys in the seventies like Foreman, Lyle, Frazier. Those guys got in there to beat you down and were very intimidating.

Maybe the new crop will get mean and shine.

Comment

Working...
                      X