Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Roman Gonzalez evading the Juan Francisco Estrada rematch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we another guy turning down fights

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
      I believe it's worth that and more, but realistically it would be difficult to achieve since there seems to be absolutely no push from HBO towards Estrada. No buzz, no interest and no mention of the man. Odd, considering the fact that they mentioned Naoya Inoue, a fighter one division above Roman's, yet disregarded the only unified champion at 112 whom gave Roman the closest fight he has had in years.
      HBO are pros at hyping stuff. They could throw Estrada on this March show & have people amped for a July fight imo. Strange if they haven't mentioned him before (idr so taking your word for it), but thats not huge cuz of HBO's hype machine.

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
      Absolutely right but HBO isn't going to risk their investment like that. I firmly believe they had a huge part in killing a Ward/ggg fight.
      Idk about this. HBO is ultimately in the big fight business not the Ward, GGG, Canelo or whoever business. The way the HBO landscape looked (Cotto vs Canelo vs GGG at 160 & Ward at 168 holding his dick & Kov at 175 holding his dick) it made sense to try to aim Ward & Kov at each other to create some interest for them while 160 is getting decided. Keeps all there guys around those weight with big fights in the horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
        He seems to be fighting twice this year and neither of the names mentioned were Juan Francisco Estrada. In fact, one of the names is Giovani Segura, a fighter whom was brutally beat down and stopped over a year ago by Estrada himself. The other name being Carlos Cuadras, the WBC Super flyweight champion, in a fight that might be staged in the month of September, following a successful defense over Giovani in March.

Here's the thing, in the past when Eatrada was brought up, Roman mentioned wanting a considerable purse well over 1 million. In response, Estrada stated that he was comfortable fighting against Roman regardless of the sum of their purse. However, he simply wanted it to be split fairly and didn't mind it not even meeting the 1 or 2 million mark Roman had established. Although he admitted it would be nice if it did.

Now Roman might be moving up and trying to capture another belt in a fourth different division, which is fine and extremely good for his legacy and resume, since Cuadras would be the first young, prime lion he has fought in years. However, he will be leaving behind a mediocre run at 112 with wins over mediocre opponents, past prime champions, and all the while maintaining his PFP recognition as the top dog around. Having looked spectacular in his disposal of has beens is one thing, but avoiding any fighters with a pulse at 112 is just disgusting.

Say what you like but Roman looks like he's in absolutely no rush to materialize a rematch with Estrada. I'm interested to see what NSB will have to say regarding Roman skipping yet another half a year from actually challenging himself, all the while retaining his luster and shine. He's willing to move up in weight before challenging the only man whom gave him resistance in recent years and discarding a unification while he's at it as well. I also want to know what others think of this, seeing as how everyone on NSB seems to believe trinkets don't matter unless a division is unified and crowned an undisputed champion(GGG fanboys, PBC fan boys whom seem to hate belts).
        He knows he caught Estrada young.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          HBO are pros at hyping stuff. They could throw Estrada on this March show & have people amped for a July fight imo. Strange if they haven't mentioned him before (idr so taking your word for it), but thats not huge cuz of HBO's hype machine.

Idk about this. HBO is ultimately in the big fight business not the Ward, GGG, Canelo or whoever business. The way the HBO landscape looked (Cotto vs Canelo vs GGG at 160 & Ward at 168 holding his dick & Kov at 175 holding his dick) it made sense to try to aim Ward & Kov at each other to create some interest for them while 160 is getting decided. Keeps all there guys around those weight with big fights in the horizon.
          It sounds nice and all but there's one problem... On the link I provided(although it's in Spanish), Roman claims his return won't be until September on a card he will be headlining and will be trying to capture his 4th division crown. Thus, kicking anything but a possible tune up to the side in the months between March and Septamber. I honestly doubt HBO would be able to hype a fight within 3 to 4 months, have it go down in June or July and then have Roman jump straight into a risky fight against a legitimate champion one division north of where he currently campaigns at. Especially since it takes them years to marinate and culminate good fights. Also, I think the general interest in the rematch wouldn't be as impactful as it needs to be, especially for the sum Gonzalez is looking for in order for it to go down.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post

Roman just keeps on his own fans lol.

Comment

HBO won't risk Gonzalez losing to a fighter they aren't even acknowledging, it doesn't make business sense.
                Juan is an excellent fighter and has improved in his craft but he won't fight Gonzalez this yeat, I don't see it happening.
                I think it's stupid that HBO doesn't show a young Mexican fighter who's exciting and one of the best more often.
                The kid can flat out fight his ass off and gave Gonzalez all he could handle in a classic fight that I thought was very close.
                HBO should be showing that fight off, I've watched it 5 times and it gets better with each watch.
                The Viloria stoppage win was impressive since no one was able to do it but it would be a travesty to not see a rematch that should happen, kind of like the Garcia vs Matthysse fight.

Comment

It could be a $1M fight but Estrada needs to be on American tv. I'm surprised HBO hasn't put him on.

Comment

I'd honestly rather see Gonzales-Ruenroeng (Or Estrada-Ruenroeng)

Amnat has had a much better recent run at Flyweight than both of these guys, if we're being honest. To leave him out is absurd, he's proven to be just as much as a Flyweight champion than Roman and Estrada...even if treats the sport like wrestling

I think he offers a style that'd frustrate the hell out of these guys, and isn't going to demand some ludricious 1 million dollar purse to get the fight.

I'd settle for the rematch if these two want to man up and fight though..

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
                      I'd honestly rather see Gonzales-Ruenroeng (Or Estrada-Ruenroeng)

Amnat has had a much better recent run at Flyweight than both of these guys, if we're being honest. To leave him out is absurd, he's proven to be just as much as a Flyweight champion than Roman and Estrada...even if treats the sport like wrestling

I think he offers a style that'd frustrate the hell out of these guys, and isn't going to demand some ludricious 1 million dollar purse to get the fight.

I'd settle for the rematch if these two want to man up and fight though..
                      I would love to see Amnat vs Estrada or Gonzalez myself. I'm with you, strictly speaking on resume Amnat craps all over Roman and Estrada at Flyweight in recent times. Ioka, Casimero, Arroyo, Fuentes and a hyped up puppet in Shiming should have given the Thai vet much more clout. I have a feeling A we would see Amnat vs Estrada way before Amnat vs Gonzalez, especially since Roman seems to have his eyes fixed on that 4th crown. Sigh... I wouldn't mind seeing Amnat vs Ioka II though.

Comment

Working...
                      X