Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopkins or Toney - who was better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought if you cheated your resume should be suspect?

Comment

Toney couldn't figure out Montell Griffin in 24 rounds. He also lost to McCallum twice if you want to be real.

Don't get me wrong. His inside fighting technique, ability to fight of the ropes, ability to slip, roll and counter was beautiful to watch. I love watching Toney operate in the pocket.

But in terms of being an overall complete fighter and having a resume on the level of Hopkins just screams OVERRATED.

Comment

If Toney had Hopkins discipline, he would be a 15 ATG, i am sure.

Toney is better, imo, in thier prime, but Hopkins will go down as greater, for his longevity and simply Toney, really hasn't be relevant since the early 00, if that.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
          Toney got outworked, that's not even debatable.
          Nope. Just pushing forward head to head and nick picking side to side is garbage boxing. The judges have seen far too many fights in their lifetime to warrant that crap to a challenger.

Tiberi had more thrown just like May vs Maidana punch stats. Tiberi has less effective shots than Toney. Again, the worst commentary for boxing. No breakdown of realtime punches landed just girls cheering in stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
            I think so too, Hopkins was an exceptional inside fighter and he knew how to work in the clinch, only Duran did it better.
            IMO the only area where Toney was good was on the inside and that was usually against guys who were useless anyway.

He showed he can hang on the inside with McCallum and arguably win so he was obviously good there but he only ever excelled there against guys like Barkley.

Boxing on the outside he was hopeless and cutting off the ring he was hopeless.

The schooling Hopkins would put on him would be hard to watch by the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
              I will do highlights of Tiberi vs Toney. You will see Toney beating him by the point system.
              I don't need to see highlights of the fight.

It's one of the biggest robberies in the history of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                Toney couldn't figure out Montell Griffin in 24 rounds. He also lost to McCallum twice if you want to be real.

Don't get me wrong. His inside fighting technique, ability to fight of the ropes, ability to slip, roll and counter was beautiful to watch. I love watching Toney operate in the pocket.

But in terms of being an overall complete fighter and having a resume on the level of Hopkins just screams OVERRATED.
                Toney couldn't figure out many fighters.

If you want to see the definition of the term "lost" go and watch Reggie Johnson absolutely school him for the first 6 rounds of ther fight. Absolutely boxed his ears off Toney had no answers.

It was only until Johnson started cruising because he was so far ahead that he gave the late rounds away. Even still, he did enough to win anyway.

As for McCallum, first one was definitely razor close. Draw was fair.

Second one, Toney got a gift IMO. No robbery but McCallum did enough.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  I don't need to see highlights of the fight.

It's one of the biggest robberies in the history of the sport.
                  Highlights aren't for you. For the public. Without the stupid commentary. People thought Pac beat Floyd...

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
                    Highlights aren't for you. For the public. Without the stupid commentary. People thought Pac beat Floyd...
                    About 2% of the human race think Pacquaio beat Mayweather.

Everyone knows Tiberi beat Toney comfortably.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post

This is the part people need to focus in on in this debate. Toney, imo was a great fighter, one of my favorites, but a complete fighter he was not. I'm one of those that thinks Toney could of been a hell of a lot better than he was, but in the end he was'nt. In order to elevate him up to Hopkins, excuses have to be made to justify it. If we want to play the excuse game, it could be argued that Hopkins beat Taylor both times and Calzaghe. We could also include that he won rounds and gave Roy a good fight at a time when Roy was'nt losing rounds. But at the end of the day it is'nt necessary because the rest of B-Hops career speaks for itself without the excuses.

Comment

Working...
                      X