No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Bernard Hopkins: No Need To Face Sergey Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Bernard Hopkins: No Need To Face Sergey Kovalev

Bernard Hopkins says a fight with fellow 175-pound titleholder Sergey Kovalev isn’t something that needs to happen — never mind that it cannot happen so long as Kovalev is signed to fight on HBO.

“I’m a Showtime fighter. I’m loyal to Showtime. I’m loyal to Richard Schaefer. I’m loyal to Al Haymon,” Hopkins told reporters shortly after his unification win Saturday over Beibut Shumenov. “Unless Kovalev comes here or crosses the street…”
    [Click Here To Read More]

every time I hear this, this is what I see.......

Comment

Ha ha I wouldn't want to fight him either

He's a absolute beast

Comment

Why not... he ducked you right?

Aren't logistics right in Showtime now Espinoza?

Comment

I wish the winner of stevenson and BHop (assuming it happens) fights kovalev for LHW supremacy. I can understand BHop's loyalty though-its the same thing DUva essentially said about HBO.

Comment

I understand Hopkins' point. Too many hurdles to make a fight that isn't in his best interest. People hop onto the latest and greatest. First Adonis was the most feared and being ducked. Kovalev wins a fight and all of a sudden he is the most feared and ducked.

At 49, I think Hopkins can choose to make the fights that are contractually easier to make. There is a cold war going on between HBO and Showtime. However, Stevenson is just as much a danger for the 49 year old Hopkins as Kovalev

As much as people here ride Kovalev and Golovkin, remember that they BOTH have something to prove against TOP world class fighters themselves.

Comment

Plus why should a ring legend like Hopkins who is also a champion be the one to "switch" over. Especially knowing his position with Showtime and Golden Boy. Kovalev is the guy trying to make a name for himself and needs to make the concessions.

Kovalev is still the B-side.

Comment

Hopkins would need to beat Stevenson and Kovalev to become Undisputed. Beating Stevenson alone would make him lineal.

Kovalev has HBO deal. Hopkins v Kovalev is never gonna happen.

Stevenson v Hopkins will be Bhop's final fight.

Comment

That's quite a change from, "I want to become undisputed, I want to fight everyone."

I guess a little bird chirped in his ear that the fight won't happen because of the network bull****.

Comment

Hopkins is right. The only win that matters is the one over Adonis. He is the lineal champ, and the winner of a fight between Bernard and Adonis claims the lineal title, plus 3/4 of the major belts.

I also think that Kovalev should move to showtime where all the noise is being made. I am not by any stretch claiming that he is ducking, but, if being the true champ and fighting the best is what is most important to him and his promoter, he needs to go to showtime. Thats pretty obvious. Also, if making the most $$$ is most important, it can be argued that going to showtime would be better for him as well. Unless he goes over there, gets blasted out, and no network wants to buy his fights anymore..............

Comment

Working...
                    X