Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got the worst beating in sparring...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparkman0811 View Post
    Absolutely, you can get away with sparring bigger guys when they are not as experienced as you. However, on even terms, bigger guys have the advantage. Don't give them that advantage. Lately, I've been sparring guys 15-20 lbs. heavier. However, I like it since I don't feel their power and so I know when I fight guys my own weight they will have even less of a punch. Also, it's messed up to fight a guy that much lighter than you...I would feel bad fighting someone 20 lbs. lighter. Good luck, though. You are a badass.
    It's good to have the mentality of "f*** it, let's do this."
    Yeah man. I don't mind sparring bigger guys at all and I've done so since I started boxing but yesterday was different because not only was he so much bigger he was also experienced. I've been boxing for 2 years and he was 4 years. I " bit off more than I can chew " so to speak.

He did sort of apologized after when he found out he outweighed me by that much. My coach told me he wanted to step in and punch the guy in the head lol.

Comment

I've taken plenty of ass whoopings in the gym. No big deal...learn from it and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
        i only spar bigger dudes at the gym because there are only 1-2 people around my weight that never show up and yeah it can **** you up hard
        i know how you feel it always happens to me theres just no light guys around my gym

Comment

i think we've all been there..anyone who competes knows about those slices of humble pie sparring different styles/experience levels

used to take my asswoopings when i was younger, now im the one dishing em out(mostly)

Comment

This just occured to me. You say that the guy has 20+lbs on you yet is eaqually as fast as you. This would lead me to believe that you are rather slow with your fists.

Try this- Get 20-$1 dollar bills. Get a friend and have this guy hold 1 of those dollar bills in his hand, his hand in a fist with 50% of the bill poking out from the top. Have him hold his fist out full arm length.

Get into your fighting stance and tell him to pull his hand away before you can snatch that dollar from his fist. tell him that every dollar that he can keep you from snatching out of his hand he can keep.

Do it 10x with your jab hand and then do it 10x with your power hand.

If you want your money back you'll be fast. If you want to land a blow on this cat than obviousley your going to need to be faster.

Be sure to turn these actions over, meaning to start from position and to turn the fist/palm over cupping over the dollar/fist and then bringing it immedately back to position.

Once you get the feel of that then get the guy a step away from you and add a step forward, you gotta work your hands with your feet. the front foot lands at the exact same time your punch lands.

Sounds crazy but it will make you faster...........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              This just occured to me. You say that the guy has 20+lbs on you yet is eaqually as fast as you. This would lead me to believe that you are rather slow with your fists.

Try this- Get 20-$1 dollar bills. Get a friend and have this guy hold 1 of those dollar bills in his hand, his hand in a fist with 50% of the bill poking out from the top. Have him hold his fist out full arm length.

Get into your fighting stance and tell him to pull his hand away before you can snatch that dollar from his fist. tell him that every dollar that he can keep you from snatching out of his hand he can keep.

Do it 10x with your jab hand and then do it 10x with your power hand.

If you want your money back you'll be fast. If you want to land a blow on this cat than obviousley your going to need to be faster.

Be sure to turn these actions over, meaning to start from position and to turn the fist/palm over cupping over the dollar/fist and then bringing it immedately back to position.

Once you get the feel of that then get the guy a step away from you and add a step forward, you gotta work your hands with your feet. the front foot lands at the exact same time your punch lands.

Sounds crazy but it will make you faster...........Rockin'
              I definitely was faster but as I've mentioned this dude was fast for his size. 155 ripped and in good shape. I blocked and ducked most of his punches but when I block them it would move my entire body so I can't really counter back. And when we clinch he just threw me around. It's definitely a learning experience.

Also I was planning for a light spar because my fight is this coming friday. Was totally not ready for it. Thanks for the advice tho rockin!!
              Last edited by johncods; 10-03-2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X