Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Guerrero History Looms or is History Repeating Itself?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Guerrero History Looms or is History Repeating Itself?

By Thomas Gerbasi - If you’ve been in this business long enough, you can tell the difference between fighters that are confident for the cameras and those that really believe it. Robert Guerrero is the latter in the lead up to his Saturday showdown with Floyd Mayweather.

You might say, what reason does he possibly have for being so secure of victory against boxing’s pound for pound best? Sure, he’s got a laundry list of titles and quality wins over quality fighters like Andre Berto, Selcuk Aydin, Joel Casamayor, and Michael Katsidis, but none of those fighters are Floyd Mayweather. Not even close.

Yet in pre-fight interviews, Guerrero is not only talking winning, but he’s talking of humbling Mayweather, perhaps an even more ludicrous notion than beating him. And this is a fighter without one punch knockout power, dazzling speed, or any one tool that makes you say ‘yeah, that’s it; that’s the secret weapon.’

In fact, what Guerrero brings to the table is what a lot of past opponents brought to Mayweather: solid fundamentals, a sturdy chin, good punch variety, and toughness. He’s even coming off a win over Berto last November that cemented his credentials as a boxer who knows how to fight. And I mean truly fight. In the trenches, down and dirty, no referee necessary, may the toughest man win. In fact, that was the fight that made many – including this scribe – look at Guerrero as not a keep busy win for Mayweather, but as a live underdog. [Click Here To Read More]

The secret about his fight is that Guerrero knows he will make a few million (A **** ton of money for him) without getting his face bashed in and bloody piss from killer kidney shots. Ghost wants money! This is a paycheck fight and it has been ever since Guerrero has been calling floyd out! Facts, his wife caught cancer, right after this prick starts calling out mayweather...
    Facts, most people that contract cancer have a high risk of it returning...
    Ghost is securing his financial future (as he should, and im not mad at him 4 that) and thats what this whole fight is about. U would be a fool to think HE REALLY THINKS HE'LL BEAT and HUMBLE Mayweather.

**** thats disgusting is that floyd admits that he is fighting at his "walk around weight" and can and has been fighting bigger guys...
    Well he's really saying "I'm not really into CHALLENGING myself"! To me, thats not greatness, thats not a true heart of a champion!

There are alot of holes in this fight and its build up, but the biggest "STATEMENT" made thus far (2 me) is that Floyd is an "entertainer" who happens to box...

Comment

Guerrero has always looked lethargic to me against guys that don't come forward and press the action. Earlier in his career he would be just aggressive enough to take the rounds, and then took his foot off the gas in the later rounds. Drove me nuts.

I don't think hes been in there with enough tricky guys to be even remotely prepared; he's used to being the better technician. Floyd confuses and dominates him.

Comment

Floyd has always relied on his speed and legs to win, sadly for him he is a step slower than he once was. Robert isn't the most physically gifted fighter but he's one mean SOB.Unless i'm completely wrong and Floyd is able to move like he did 3 or 4 years ago(i don't think he will) I see Robert giving Floyd a beating like he's never taken before. Robert is going to turn this into a rugged brawl. i'm by no means saying that Mayweather can't win that kind of fight. i'm just saying that he will take the worst beating of his career. you guys wait and see.

Comment

Thomas writes a good article.

I have been hard on Mayweather. Gerbasi lays out Jrs resume and it sounds the greatest or does it.

Outside of the Hernandez fight we should examine Jrs Opponents:

While Jr was in his PRIME he fought Corrales who at the time was in bad bad shape mentally for this fight a perfect cherry pick for Jr, give him a hand of applause !!!!

Gatti was too washed up even though he was game but Jr was in his prime.

JMM was way too small in stature plus he was coming straight from lightweight, had the worst style to fight Jr with and for what reason did Jr CHEAT in the weight department ??????? hmmmmmm lacks the depth of heart? I think so !

Hatton had Jr reeling back on his heels but we all know the ref didn't do his job that night, he interfered constantly even to the point of rushing Hatton before he got started frustrating Hatton to bum rushing and was way to small and PROVED he was not made for WW due to previous fights. Great pick for Jr not to lose his 0.

ODH , it was his fight to lose and he did. NOT because of JR or anything he did but because he did NOT pull that trigger. Washed up, just one or two jabs per round would have won this sorry fight.

Old Mosley had Jr but the old man QUIT , there was a time he would have finished off Jr , too old can't pull the trigger.

Cotto , washed up , was much faster and more agile as a WW had Jr but gassed .

Jr has been brilliant , he over the past 8 years has cherry picked his way into glorious stardom

BUT

I don't buy into it, mainly due to the fact he ducks a threat.

Most all the writers and athletes are picking Jr to KO Guerrero, HA !!! They are mesmerized by JR.

Things missing in the past fighters like youth, stamina , gameness to find a way is found in Guerrero.

I agree that Guerrero is Jrs stiffest test. I will be supprised if Guerrero QUITS , I won't be supprised if JR QUITS.

Barring the sucker punch , cuts etc.... I see Guerrero whuppin JR early and giving Jr the option of quitting in the late rounds unless Guerrero KO's Jr early.

I see a nasty Jr using elbows to cut and close G. eyes

I wish I were able to see this fight but circumstances stand in the way.

Comment

tarver didn't fell short the first time he fought roy jones...tarver won that fight but the judges robbed him of that victory and he proved it on the rematch...

Comment

PBF won't lose , because he won't step up and fight a real challenger . he will look great in the record books , but informed fans will know he was a scared ***** , a thug .

Comment

Floyd beats the breaks off Robert!!

Comment

Great article. I think Mayweather is going to surprise Guerrero with the shape he is coming to this fight in, due to all the expectations and eyes on him now that he's moved to Showtime. Mayweather by wide UD.

Comment

The Ghost jumps on Floyd early and tries to stun him. Floyd settles in and Guerrero switches it up a few times. Floyd gets tagged up and resorts to holding and elbows on a few occasions, Robert retaliates and loses a point.

Floyd wins a decision but gets hurt in the fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X