Froch's drug tests, RJJ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Froch's drug tests, RJJ

Froch: My drug test hell

CARL FROCH has revealed how boxing’s drug-busters demanded an early-morning test to prove he is clean.

The IBF world supermiddleweight champ was disturbed by a team of testers who arrived unannounced at his Nottingham home at 6.50am.

Froch takes on Yank Yusaf Mack at Nottingham Ice Arena tonight.

But he says the dawn raid left him rattled as it woke his son Rocco and frightened his girlfriend Rachael.

Froch, 35, said: “It is good to keep drugs out of the sport but sometimes the manner in which they do it can be interpreted as a bit ignorant.

Many world-class boxers are being targeted because the sport has been hit by a series of scandals, with Amir Khan’s recent opponent Lamont Peterson testing positive for steroid use.

Antonio Tarver and Andre Berto were busted in the USA while they were world champions, just like Roy Jones — one of Froch’s all-time ring heroes.

The same stringent tests that have brought the problem into sharp focus in the States are now naming and shaming UK fighters.

Froch added: “I’m glad they are doing it but it is annoying when you are getting tested and you know yourself you are clean.

“You have to give the British Boxing Board of Control a diary of where you will be and at what times you are there so they can perform random tests.

“They’ve been catching a few boxers in the States that way.

“I was about to go on an early run when there was a loud bang on my front door.

“I’m thinking, you have just woken up my boy and then Rachael starts screaming about it, she’s not happy.

“Before that was at eight in the evening — and I missed Coronation Street! The testers get a comprehensive note of your movements. They knew when I’d be training in Sheffield, what time I’d be back at home in Nottingham.

“Even the times of my runs had to be passed to them so they could turn up when they liked. I run between 7am and 9am — so they come 10 minutes before I’m due to be out the door with my running shoes on.

“Maybe they were thinking I was taking a load of gear before I go running, or something like that.

“You do a test on fight night anyway — before or after. Both boxers are tested, win or lose, there’s no escape.

“It seems to be in the headlines a lot more, there are definitely more cases of it in boxing lately.”

Froch was left shattered when Jones’ career ended in shame as a drugs cheat. The Brit said: “I was very, very annoyed. I put him on a pedestal. Unbeaten, a super-middleweight moving up to heavyweight and winning world titles.

“Pound of pound the best at the time, no one could hit him, he could punch, he could box, he could do everything and usually did in the ring.

“He hardly ever lost a round and then to find out he was cheating on drugs was quite devastating because I was a massive fan.

“You look back and you think was he that good or was he given an extra boost by something else?

“Were drugs giving him thee edge on his way to the top? Was it giving him the edge in hand speed, was it meaning he could go 12 rounds easy?

“Some of his fights were close late on. The guys he was fighting were looking tired and he was still looking sharp — was that down to drugs?

“If he was still sharp because he was cheating, then that is unfair because you never know he might have come unstuck in those final two or three rounds.

Compared to say athletics and cycling, I think boxing is pretty clean.

“I would never object to any test anywhere because I know what passes my lips.”

Froch should have too much for Mack, 32, who will try to make the most of his usual slow start.

I take Froch to win inside the distance but Mack has his back to the wall as he attempts to win a world title for the first time and could spring a few surprises.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...test-hell.html

I hope Freedom and Daggum get to read this.
    Last edited by Weebler I; 11-16-2012, 08:56 PM.

i was reading it but there was no mention of calzaghe so i got bored

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      i was reading it but there was no mention of calzaghe so i got bored
      lol......................

Comment

Froch is the man, Beyond Reproach!

Comment

omg he missed coronation street cuz he had to take da test. what is boxing coming to?

Comment

Froch boy made some great points.

Really does show how great Lennox is having to fight Holyfield and Vitali. Two steroid users. Lennox had to use his natural strength to overcome chemical strength and artificial strength.

Comment

Working...
            X