No announcement yet.

cant throw looping punches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant throw looping punches

Ive been boxing for about a month now, i just cannot throw big looping punches and overhand rights. It feels completely unatural. Ive heard that looping punches produce arkward angles for the defender, and are hard to block. They generally produce good power ive been told, especially a big overhand right. I just don't know how to throw them and my trainer disregards them, i feel comfortable throwing short right crosses and left hooks. Im pretty orthodox, should i concentrate on learning these other punches or focus on what comes natural?

u might have 2 loosen up abit, sounds like u got a straight up and down european style, which is alot of straight punches in bunches.

try do bowling punches.... from ur normal stance take a step forward ( overbalance on ur front foot a little)duck ur head down/forward and let ur right hand come over. As ur foot plants and head leans forward ur right hand should bowl over in a loose fashion and ur shoulder sort of rolls in the punch...

Comment

if you see your opponent stciking the jab...try to anticipate a tad bit, dip your shoulders and head diagonally and come over with your right using your fist momentum as a wrecking ball...its a good punch, hard to time though...it'll take some work

Comment

Originally posted by Heckler
        Ive been boxing for about a month now, i just cannot throw big looping punches and overhand rights. It feels completely unatural. Ive heard that looping punches produce arkward angles for the defender, and are hard to block. They generally produce good power ive been told, especially a big overhand right. I just don't know how to throw them and my trainer disregards them, i feel comfortable throwing short right crosses and left hooks. Im pretty orthodox, should i concentrate on learning these other punches or focus on what comes natural?
        i know what you mean, but you just gotta practice till it does feel natural. i was actually practicing throwing my overhand right james toney-style.

Comment

Why would anyone need to know how to throw looping punches?
          Why throw a big slow looping punch and miss while using up energy when you can pump 3 fast jabs in someones face in no time...

Youve been boxing a month! Learn the basics...You wont be fightin for a long time so **** looping punches,hooks,uppercuts and all that ****

Learn how to move,hold ur hands,jab and staright right and thats all u need!

Comment

yeah watch some manny pacquiao fights and use his style. im sure eventually you will get how to throw the hooks instantly and will favor them. you probably havent been taught proper footwork for hooks yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Fisted Piston
              Why would anyone need to know how to throw looping punches?
              Why throw a big slow looping punch and miss while using up energy when you can pump 3 fast jabs in someones face in no time...

Youve been boxing a month! Learn the basics...You wont be fightin for a long time so **** looping punches,hooks,uppercuts and all that ****

Learn how to move,hold ur hands,jab and staright right and thats all u need!
              yer true.....

Comment

i use alot fo those punchs when i shadow box, because im scare dof hyper extending my elbow, so i started throwing looping punchs. if you dont feel comfortable then dont do it.

Comment

Forget the looping punches....

Comment

The more angles you can punch from the better, you alwasy keep your opponent guessing and it's hard to defend from those angles if your not used to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X