Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much credit do you give Rocky Marciano for beating Joe Louis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guys saying 0 are crazy, the fools saying Louis was still a threat are even worse.

I'd give it a 5, it was an average win, Louis was so past his best, he needed to oil his joints. Marciano was in his prime and yes Louis had had some good wins leading into it but it was hardly against world beaters.

Louis was running on empty when he ran into Marciano and got battered in the 8th, having said that, a lot of the preceding rounds were close and Louis, almost shot, still managed to hold his own against a prime Marciano.

Comment

think of it like floyd beating mosley ... you shouldn't give floyd 0 credit for beating him, but a prime mosley would probably have finished him in that second round. So you can't really pad floyd's record by saying he beat Mosley ... what an awesome win.

Comment

I give him a 7-8 because he knocked him out

Its one of the most memorable KO's in boxing history

Louis was way past his prime but it was a competitive fight before the KO

Comment

Louis was so far past it. Very little credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
            0.....For the same reasons I don't give Holmes credit for beating Ali. There's certainly some things Marciano is deserving of credit for but beating the washed-up shell of Louis isn't one of them.
            Ali was way out of it. Joe Louis wasn't. Joe Louis was WAY past prime but was still an active ranked TOP 10 fighter. Ali was already suffering from Parkinson and was a shell of his former self.

Went to boxrec to make certain:

According to Ring Magazine Louis was the number 1 contender in 1950 and Marciano was number 10. After they fought Louis was still rated number 6.

After Louis lost to Ezzard Charles he fought 8 times before taking on Marciano and he beat several good fighters in that stretch including Lee Savold ( a top ranked contender). He was fighting every two months and training constantly only taking a week off between fights and resuming training. He was in great shape.

Again - I'm not saying that Marciano's win over Joe Louis counts as win over a still great Joe Louis.

Ali, on the other hand, had not fought for over two years and was way out of it in every way possible.

I would compare Marciano's win over Louis more to Tyson's win over Holmes. Holmes was still a credible opponent in 1988.

Comment

Louis was clearly past his best, but had beaten top contenders going into this bout including topranked Lee Savold. Furthermore Louis was ranked no. 1 in the world by Ring Magazine.

It's probably around a '6' on your scale.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
                Ali was way out of it. Joe Louis wasn't. Joe Louis was WAY past prime but was still an active ranked TOP 10 fighter. Ali was already suffering from Parkinson and was a shell of his former self.

Went to boxrec to make certain:

According to Ring Magazine Louis was the number 1 contender in 1950 and Marciano was number 10. After they fought Louis was still rated number 6.

After Louis lost to Ezzard Charles he fought 8 times before taking on Marciano and he beat several good fighters in that stretch including Lee Savold ( a top ranked contender). He was fighting every two months and training constantly only taking a week off between fights and resuming training. He was in great shape.

Again - I'm not saying that Marciano's win over Joe Louis counts as win over a still great Joe Louis.

Ali, on the other hand, had not fought for over two years and was way out of it in every way possible.

I would compare Marciano's win over Louis more to Tyson's win over Holmes. Holmes was still a credible opponent in 1988.
                Danm that was just about the same info on Louis that I posted!

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
                  Joe Louis was 87 years old when he fought Rocky Marciano.
                  Hey, Joe Louis is 137 years.

Comment

None, zip zero

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
                      think of it like floyd beating mosley ... you shouldn't give floyd 0 credit for beating him, but a prime mosley would probably have finished him in that second round. So you can't really pad floyd's record by saying he beat Mosley ... what an awesome win.
                      Mosley was still a world champion and top p4p fighter....Louis was old and coming out of retirement and in need to money

Comment

Working...
                      X