No announcement yet.

PAY PER VIEW....Worth Your Money?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAY PER VIEW....Worth Your Money?

This thread is not to denigrate or insult any fighter in particular. Just a recap of this year's major PPV fights (so far).

Pacquiao-Mosley: A huge disappointment that left the arena audience booing the participants by round 8, and the home PPV buyers feeling they misspent $60. As soon as Mosley got hit, he refused to engage. Pacquiao seemed unable to step on the gas to give the fans the satisfying finish they wanted.

Mayweather-Ortiz: A definitive finish, but certainly not the way the fans wanted. Again, the arena was booing the announcement. Ortiz' foul prompted Floyd's retaliation. Legal? Yes. Satisfying? Nay.

Hopkins-Dawson: More boos. Notice a trend here? Dawson made a somewhat questionable move, and Hopkins sustained an even more questionable injury.

Pacquiao-Marquez 3: Nobody happy. Boos, for sure. This time accompanied by airborne beer. Nobody walked away happy. Pacquiao fans wanted definitive closure via an impressive performance. Marquez fans (and Pacquiao detractors) wanted what they perceived as a "fair" judgment.

DID PPV BUYERS GET THEIR MONEY'S WORTH THIS YEAR?

I hate PPV and don't order unless it's something I feel I absolutely have to see, and this year has only deepened that feeling for me. Having so many PPV fights is one of the biggest problems with boxing. There are only two or three fights a year that truly deserve PPV.

I wasn't disappointed at all by the Mayweather-Ortiz PPV though. Good undercard fights, and Mayweather knocking out Ortiz the way he did was hilarious.

Comment

There shouldn't be any PPV altogether. They are destroying boxing. Thats why most people don't watch boxing anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by gatagata View Post
        There shouldn't be any PPV altogether. They are destroying boxing. Thats why most people don't watch boxing anymore.
        But if there's no PPV, how do you compensate the guys at the very elite level of the sport?

Without that financial incentive (reaped from PPV bucks), the very best guys would have no incentive to take risks against each other.

Comment

Nope, not my money, that's why I'm a proud bonifide streamer!! But honestly I like forward to showbox on friday nights more than anything else. The young guns before they become superstars in tough, best moments in boxing baby!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
            Nope, not my money, that's why I'm a proud bonifide streamer!! But honestly I like forward to showbox on friday nights more than anything else. The young guns before they become superstars in tough, best moments in boxing baby!!
            If I had to pay for Ward-Froch, I would not mind. I can pony up $24.95 or $29.95 for that fight.

Top guys at the top of their game who always bring it in an important fight for the championship of a big tourney.

Comment

Ohh that fight would be worthy of ppv, but I will never actually say it belongs on ppv. Because I like where it is just fine, just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
                If I had to pay for Ward-Froch, I would not mind. I can pony up $24.95 or $29.95 for that fight.

Top guys at the top of their game who always bring it in an important fight for the championship of a big tourney.
                I agree with this. Cut the price in half and stop putting on **** undercards as well.

Comment

I love boxing, obviously, but I have to say I think it was much better in the days before PPV. Sure, you didn't have all the glitz, razmattaz, 24/7 and 4 week build-up (at least) but I think the fights were better.

In this climate £15 is much better spent in my petrol tank or shopping trolley. I just find nowadays that the fights almost never live up to the hype but this is because the fights are hyped waaaayyy too much bevause of the glitz, razmattaz etc, etc etc.

Just my two bob's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Unanimous [mk2] View Post
                    I love boxing, obviously, but I have to say I think it was much better in the days before PPV. Sure, you didn't have all the glitz, razmattaz, 24/7 and 4 week build-up (at least) but I think the fights were better.

In this climate £15 is much better spent in my petrol tank or shopping trolley. I just find nowadays that the fights almost never live up to the hype but this is because the fights are hyped waaaayyy too much bevause of the glitz, razmattaz etc, etc etc.

Just my two bob's worth.
                    Here in the US, you have to pay for HBO to watch the 24/7's, then you have to pay $60 to watch a crap or dishonest fight.

Tough to justify to non-fans.

Comment

Working...
                    X