Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YOUR OPINION WANTED: More Impressive Win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOUR OPINION WANTED: More Impressive Win?

Which was the more impressive win in your estimation: Floyd's win over Oscar at 154lbs, or Manny's win over Tony Margarito at 150lbs? It's a tough call for me, personally. Reason being, Manny absolutely worked Margarito, while Floyd won what I thought was a 7-5 UD. That being said, there's some serious speculation as to whether or not Manny is/was 100% clean for a lot his fights. It is possible that Floyd took some sort of PED as well, I suppose, but I sincerely doubt it. The version of Oscar that Floyd fought was extremely motivated at a good weight. Where as the version of Tony that Manny fought was coming off an unimpressive showing, after a sustained layoff. Not to mention, Tony was having trouble making 147lbs, so he likely had trouble making 150lbs. In particular, when you figure that he rehydrated an absurd amount of weight overnight.

It's a tough call for me, personally. Those who know me around here, know that I don't exactly favor Pacquiao at the best of times. But on that night, he showed some uncanny punching power, and hospitalized an extremely tough fighter. PEDs or not, it was an impressive showing.

I'm at a stalemate on this subject. What do you all think?
    Floyd's UD over Oscar
    37.84%
    Manny's UD (destruction) over Margarito
    54.05%
    Both equally impressive
    8.11%

i rank it..........more or less the same.................

Comment

Originally posted by STRUGG View Post
      i rank it..........more or less the same.................
      Me too. Both were equally impressive, but for different reasons. Floyd showcased pure defensive brilliance against a bigger, motivated man, and pick his spots to win a close UD.

Manny walked down a bigger man with a granite chin, and completely dismantled him.

Both great showcases of said fighters best attributes, which makes me want a dream match between the two, that most likely will never happen. What a damn shame.

Quite frankly, if the version of both of these fighters who showed up on those two respective fights were to show up, and fight each other........I'd say it would be a 50/50 fight.

Throw in random blood testing though, and the equation gets a little trickier. After all, Manny didn't look his usual self against Morales in their first fight, and he had blood drawn.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but who knows? Maybe having blood drawn does actually effect Manny negatively. (Although I sincerely doubt it. I think that was just an excuse. Just like he's "afraid of needles".)

Bottom line: Two great performances, by two of the best of our generation, and we will never get to see them fight, over complete bs.

Even with millions upon millions on the table.

Another black eye for boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Squizz View Post
        Which was the more impressive win in your estimation: Floyd's win over Oscar at 154lbs, or Manny's win over Tony Margarito at 150lbs? It's a tough call for me, personally. Reason being, Manny absolutely worked Margarito, [U]while Floyd won what I thought was a 7-5 UD[/U]. That being said, there's some serious speculation as to whether or not Manny is/was 100% clean for a lot his fights. It is possible that Floyd took some sort of PED as well, I suppose, but I sincerely doubt it. The version of Oscar that Floyd fought was extremely motivated at a good weight. Where as the version of Tony that Manny fought was coming off an unimpressive showing, after a sustained layoff. Not to mention, Tony was having trouble making 147lbs, so he likely had trouble making 150lbs. In particular, when you figure that he rehydrated an absurd amount of weight overnight.

It's a tough call for me, personally. Those who know me around here, know that I don't exactly favor Pacquiao at the best of times. But on that night, he showed some uncanny punching power, and hospitalized an extremely tough fighter. PEDs or not, it was an impressive showing.

I'm at a stalemate on this subject. What do you all think?
        Did you seriously scored the Mayweather Oscar fight 7-5?

Comment

Pacquiao's win.

Pacquiao would have beaten the crap out of that Oscar too. If people rate the chinny Victor Ortiz as a legit threat then Margarito would be like a 2-1 or 3-2 underdog seeing as he's much bigger, much tougher, and more polished on the attack. If Mayweather beats Margarito it's probably a close decision just as it was against Oscar.

I also favor Margarito by 7-5 or 8-4 decision over Oscar; sweeping numerous late rounds.

Add in the size difference. Pacquiao was 17 pounds lighter. As soon as they were in the ring together it looked like one guy was several weight divisions higher.

And the coup de gras is that Manny beat Margarito so bad Margarito agreed to a cease fire in the middle of the ring and basically said 'no mas'. Just let that sink in for a second.

And what a load of crap that's gotten out of hand @ PED stuff. Let's try to even Mayweather/Pacquiao arguments by saying Pacquiao may or may not have had to cheat... yeah okay. Become a defense lawyer. Defend every case with "What we need to remember is... my client might be innocent?" and shrug. About the same thing here.

Mayweather possibly had loaded gloves and possibly drugged his opponents. My proof is that you can't prove it's not possible! ******ed.

Comment

After all, Manny didn't look his usual self against Morales in their first fight
            Sure he did. This is STUPID. He was just one dimensional then.

Comment

And to add further, this reminds me of a similar situation: That being when everyone was dying to see Lennox Lewis give Vitali a rematch in 2004. I read on the net that he turned down a supposed $40million for the fight! Lewis claimed/claims he beat Vitali when he was out of shape, so there's no need for a rematch. I call bs! Nobody leaves $40million on the table for an easy night's work. Same goes for Floyd. If Manny is such easy work, why not take the biggest payday of your life, and whomp him in front of millions?

I think either Floyd knows something behind the scenes, or he really wants to stick to Arum/Top Rank/Team Pacquiao. And TBH, I can't say I blame him in a way. Floyd agreed to all of their demands, yet they can't agree to ONE of his? Seems like Arum wants to call the shots, and dictate the pace. Floyd ain't gonna' play by Arum's rules. He's already made that clear when he wouldn't fight Margarito or Cotto. (Both of whom, he supposedly "ducked". Well where are they now Floyd haters? Both shop-worn fighters scrounging for paydays.)

Bottom line: It's all political bs, that is completely not justified. For the amount of money we're talking here, you come to a mediation of some sort. They ALL STAND TO MAKE ENOUGH MONEY FOR TEN LIFETIMES. GET OVER THE CHILDISH BS!

Comment

Oscar was better than Marg at that time, but Mayweather had a lot of trouble with him. His face was even unusually puffy after that fight. It wasn't a domination like Mayweather fans think.

Margarito got destroyed and was much bigger than Pacquiao.

close call

Comment

Floyd knows exactly what his actions state. He knows Manny Pacquiao could beat him.

No other fighter in history has refused to fight a guy because he's so good he must be cheating yet is also sure he would win against said fighter accused of being so good it can't be real.

Comment

Originally posted by zte89147 View Post
                    Did you seriously scored the Mayweather Oscar fight 7-5?
                    I think it was either 7-5 or 8-4 in favor of Floyd. Oscar wasn't landing much, but Floyd wasn't throwing ANYTHING for a lot of those rounds. I'm obviously not alone, because one of the judges scored it in favor of Oscar. (Which I disagree with.) I thought Floyd won a clear-cut decision, but there was a lot of close rounds. I tend to favor clean,effective punching when scoring rounds, and Floyd certainly landed the more telling blows. He just didn't land ENOUGH of them to make it the shutout some think it was.

I remember when the fight happened, on the net, a lot of people thought it was a really close fight, and scored it accordingly. Floyd wasn't pulling the trigger at all in the early going, and was getting bullied, and worked to the body. I can't give guys rounds when they don't do ANYTHING.

Ring generalship is a criteria for scoring rounds, but if you're dictating the pace, and not landing...........while your opponent is landing ugly shots, yet still throwing/landing more.........I have no choice but to give the round to the aggressor.

I always ask myself, "Who would I rather be at the end of that round?"

Comment

Working...
                    X