No announcement yet.

Kessler should retire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hookoutofhell View Post
    kess isn't over the hill just yet but hes on a downward slop - no doubt about that.

i still think he could KO anyone not called froch or ward simply because hes a quality fighter. But i don't think he can compete with the elite guys whereas three years ago he could.

hes been through 40+ training camps, 4 very tough fights (frochx2, calz and ward) and has recently suffered three serious career threatening injuries. i think its fair to say he should call it a day.
    Exactly this...he can still compete, but not with the best. If he just wants a few more paychecks thats fine, but he has no realistic shot at being top dog anymore, and for that he should probably retire. No point risking yourself if you've done enough in the sport already.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimgash View Post
      Exactly this...he can still compete, but not with the best. If he just wants a few more paychecks thats fine, but he has no realistic shot at being top dog anymore, and for that he should probably retire. No point risking yourself if you've done enough in the sport already.
      What are you talking about? He just competed with Carl Froch in front of 18K roaring brits. Froch managed to even the score but only just.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
        He still got the ability i don't buy the whole he's finished crap. He landed over 50% of his punches and hit Froch with punches that would stop 90% of other fighters, it was the improvements of Froch, conditioning and use of the jab that made the difference from the last fight.
        Well said!!
        Its not over yet I don't think It should be...
        He never looked woeful in there and I think he still could beats guys like Groves/Stieglitz then there's always 175lbs for him If he wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          What are you talking about? He just competed with Carl Froch in front of 18K roaring brits. Froch managed to even the score but only just.
          Yeah only just Carl Froch's gameplan was better but at times he was very one dimensional this is why I don't think he could ever beat Andre Ward.
          Froch landed a large amount of jabs whilst Kessler was mainly landing the flashy power punches.

What's worse than 18thousand roaring biased Brits in a stadium??
          Two biased British commentators just constant nuthuggery comment after comment It in some ways spoiled it a bit because I was just hoping they would shut up for one given moment.

Comment

I think he will retire. He didn't sound OVERLY keen on a third Froch fight last night anyway. Kessler is still top shelf and has the beating of plenty of good fighters but Ward is a level above him and Carl Froch seems the better fighter too, the Froch fights are taking more out of The Dane than they are The Cobra and I just don't see Kessler settling for 3rd best in the division at this stage in his long career.

Pretty sure he will call it a day and id advise that too.

Great fight last night though, these guys were made for each other and the sportsmanship at the end was fantastic to see - boxing was at it's best here people.

If they DO decide on a third fight it has to be on neutral ground and im sure both these warriors know that

Comment

Kessler said before the Froch fight he would call it quits should Froch beat him convincingly (which he did). It's always better to stop whilst you're still on top of your game, as we have seen so many fighters who keeps fighting and end up as wrecks. As others pointed out, Kessler has been injury prone etc., he's already made enough money in the sport, he's had a solid career but failed against the very elite. Nothing to be ashamed of should he walk away today.

Comment

Yes Kessler should retire.

I have stopped believing that he can adjust during a fight. I thought Jimmy Montoya could teach him that but no, he just ran into Froch's extending lazy jab all night.

And when Froch was out of balance looking like a fool, Kessler just stood there instead of exploiting it. Kessler had success when attacking, so why the **** did he not do it more? Just standing in front of Froch getting jabbed in the face did not seem to work

If someone could teach him to hold his hands in front of his damn face and move that robot head, then MAYBE he could try a third time.

But I don't really belive that he can change. I say this as a dane and it pains me to say.

Well Froch is a cool dude and I look forward to follow him in the future.

Comment

why ???
                  who besides froch and ward beat him?

he might even beat froch again and he has the punch to ko ward
                  so .... no
                  anyone els last night would have been knocked out froch just has an amazing chin
                  he laso laned above 50% on froch ...

Comment

Working...
                  X