Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi, Im calling in to report a missing footwork...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, Im calling in to report a missing footwork...

What the hell man!

Few days ago I was watching his fights early in his career and payed attention to his fight with Tony "Kid Fire" Pep (who also happens to be me MY boxing coach!) and I noticed he had such an AMAZING footwork!!!

I mean I have been boxing for 4 years (8 months with tony pep) bigger then floyd and I can barely land any punch on mr. pep despite my big asset being footwork and watching floyd DOMINATE a guy who is a tall, rangy,quick guy with a wicked jab.

Keep in mind toney pep was like way more athletic in 1998 but floyd gracefuly closed the distance and went under those jabs and out jabbed one of the best jabbers in the world.

This got me wondering...What the heck happend to his footwork??? His been looking way to flat footed ever since around the zab judah fight I noticed! Also he looked a bit chunky too!

Am I a crazy stupid person or am I being paranoid???

floyd uses his great upper body movement which allows him to avoid punches but still be in position to counter.plus it saves stamina

Comment

Hes old.

Hes human.

Hes trying to be more crowd pleasing.

He stepped on the scales at 151 pounds.

Comment

He is sitting down on his punches more & is using upper body movement more in order to counter & it burns up less energy.

A bit chunky? Who Floyd? He was going up weight but personally I felt he looked shredded.

Comment

Originally posted by Box"K"ing View Post
          What the hell man!

Few days ago I was watching his fights early in his career and payed attention to his fight with Tony "Kid Fire" Pep (who also happens to be me MY boxing coach!) and I noticed he had such an AMAZING footwork!!!

I mean I have been boxing for 4 years (8 months with tony pep) bigger then floyd and I can barely land any punch on mr. pep despite my big asset being footwork and watching floyd DOMINATE a guy who is a tall, rangy,quick guy with a wicked jab.

Keep in mind toney pep was like way more athletic in 1998 but floyd gracefuly closed the distance and went under those jabs and out jabbed one of the best jabbers in the world.

This got me wondering...What the heck happend to his footwork??? His been looking way to flat footed ever since around the zab judah fight I noticed! Also he looked a bit chunky too!

Am I a crazy stupid person or am I being paranoid???

You are not imagining anything. The last time floyd had awesome and lightning quick footwork was against Baldomir. His feet have gotten progressively slower as have the reflexes. HE KNOWS THIS!!!!!!! roger knows this!!!! The Floyd that fought Oscar at 54, with the more agressive mindset he has today would have stopped Cotto in under 10 rounds.

Anyone who has seriously followed floyd's career knows he has been in decline speed and reflex wise for a while now, and it always starts with the legs. You only need to look at how razor sharp his reflexes are in fights at 140 with Corley and Gatti and 147 with Baldomir. He also got his punches off far better.

Against Cotto there were many opportunities to punch that Floyd would have gobbled up in earlier in his career.

Comment

Floyd's getting older..
            Plus he has fragile hands.. Not a good thing when your whole career involves punching people.

Comment

Floyd is today fighting alot more like James Toney. Standing on a dime and using subtle defensive movements, moving head and body to avoid being hit, shoulder rolls, all that stuff The old Floyd had this in his arsenal, but he also had lightning fast legs. It's always better to move your entire body out of the way!!!!! James had good footwork, but not fast footwork.

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post
                You are not imagining anything. The last time floyd had awesome and lightning quick footwork was against Baldomir. His feet have gotten progressively slower as have the reflexes. HE KNOWS THIS!!!!!!! roger knows this!!!! The Floyd that fought Oscar at 54, with the more agressive mindset he has today would have stopped Cotto in under 10 rounds.

Anyone who has seriously followed floyd's career knows he has been in decline speed and reflex wise for a while now, and it always starts with the legs. You only need to look at how razor sharp his reflexes are in fights at 140 with Corley and Gatti and 147 with Baldomir. He also got his punches off far better.

Against Cotto there were many opportunities to punch that Floyd would have gobbled up in earlier in his career.
                no offence but Corley,Gatti and Baldo aint no Cotto.give credit where it's due Cotto brought it to Floyd and Floyd had to man up

Comment

Today Floyd can't attack or counter and not be there at all, like he did in say the Corrales fight. It's still very hard to get to him, but in his younger days if he didn't want a fighter getting near him then they would have no hope. Look at the 2nd Castillo fight. He didn't let Castillo get near him!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by larryx2013 View Post
                    no offence but Corley,Gatti and Baldo aint no Cotto.give credit where it's due Cotto brought it to Floyd and Floyd had to man up

Cotto get's plenty of credit, but it's safe to say both of them (floyd and Cotto) are past their absolute best. Cotto's best was against SSM imho, before Margo got him. In that fight Cotto showed a great mix of timing, speed, power, footwork and overall boxing ability against a still very very good SSM, who's head didn't look like a blow fish.

Comment

Working...
                    X