No announcement yet.

Weight Training Help...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverlt
    Yes the topic did change but he said low weigh high reps will bulk you which it won't bulk(I didnt say muscles won't grow which is apparent cause you are working them out) bulk comes from high weight low reps. My reason don't come from just Men's health. And the fact that you say your book is better than a magazine is just opionion not a fact. I've play sports since elementary school, I have boxed also, lifted weights for over 10 years, I've been in the army for over 6 years. as well as my dad has lifting for 30 years. I grew up around being athletic. My boxing trainer didnt want me lifting weights and did alot of old school exercises I guess you would say. But alot of the old timers don't believe in weights. And if you watch alot of the older fights (15 rounds) they were in better shape at the end then boxers of today that lift weights (10-12 rounds) Now since you say you started boxing at 13 did you have an old timer as a trainer cause old timer don't change their workouts every few years like the new age trainers.
    So how do you define high rep then ? Anything over 15 isn't really strength training. 8-15 will get you bulk, 6 and down is for strength not bulk.

I think all my boxing trainers were old timers, and they didn't believe in weights. The operative word here is BELIEVE. They didn't KNOW. See what I'm saying? Training is a SCIENCE, not a religion. If you believe, then shut up, 'till you know.

I've always watched fights. Old ones too. It's funny that boxing, for some reason, is the only sport where people think fighters were faster, tougher, more skilled, and just plain better in the old days. Every other sport on the planet, athletes keep getting better and better. In 100m you can prove it by looking at the world record. In Weight lifting you can prove it by looking at the world record. Boxing however, is a very subjective sport, not only is it really hard agree on who wins a fight, if both fighters are standing at the final bell (look at the discussions on the outcome of fights on this board), it is impossible to prove that Lennox Lewis would have handed Jack Dempsey his ass, Or Bernard Hopkins would have beat the greatest ever Sugar Ray Robinson. I, for one, don't believe that the fighters of yesteryear were better than the ones today. Not for a second. Like every other sport, the speed, power and intensity of the sport has gone up. Show me a fight from the 30'es over 15-20 rounds where they go at it like Gatti-Ward did over 10. Not many of those around
    If you know you have to go 15 rounds you train accordingly, and in the fight, you set the pace accordingly. If you go 4x2 minutes in an amateur bout at top level, you don't train the same way, don't fight the same way as a 12 or 15 round title fight. Just like a 400m runner doesn't train the same or run the race the same as a marathon runner. They're both runners, but there's a big difference. Same thing in boxing.
    Do you think they were even better conditioned when they did 120 rounds in a fight, or do you think maybe the pace was a little different? Trick question!

Anyway, you're not bringing anything to the table here, before you know it, I'll have to correct your misgivings about how men and women make babies or some other topic you'll bring in to the discussion to divert attention from your lack of knowledge. I've said it before, but this time I really am done here. Have fun getting the last word.

Comment

Originally posted by MusclesMalone
      i dont like boxings archiac nature. lifting wieghts can be very beneficial to boxers at all weights.
      look at olympic lifters and power lifters. they ahve weight class's, what they do is train thier brain and nervous system to activate more muscle fibers at a time. are you telling me that wouldnt be beneficial for a boxer?
      You said it brother!

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk
        So how do you define high rep then ? Anything over 15 isn't really strength training. 8-15 will get you bulk, 6 and down is for strength not bulk.

I think all my boxing trainers were old timers, and they didn't believe in weights. The operative word here is BELIEVE. They didn't KNOW. See what I'm saying? Training is a SCIENCE, not a religion. If you believe, then shut up, 'till you know.

I've always watched fights. Old ones too. It's funny that boxing, for some reason, is the only sport where people think fighters were faster, tougher, more skilled, and just plain better in the old days. Every other sport on the planet, athletes keep getting better and better. In 100m you can prove it by looking at the world record. In Weight lifting you can prove it by looking at the world record. Boxing however, is a very subjective sport, not only is it really hard agree on who wins a fight, if both fighters are standing at the final bell (look at the discussions on the outcome of fights on this board), it is impossible to prove that Lennox Lewis would have handed Jack Dempsey his ass, Or Bernard Hopkins would have beat the greatest ever Sugar Ray Robinson. I, for one, don't believe that the fighters of yesteryear were better than the ones today. Not for a second. Like every other sport, the speed, power and intensity of the sport has gone up. Show me a fight from the 30'es over 15-20 rounds where they go at it like Gatti-Ward did over 10. Not many of those around
        If you know you have to go 15 rounds you train accordingly, and in the fight, you set the pace accordingly. If you go 4x2 minutes in an amateur bout at top level, you don't train the same way, don't fight the same way as a 12 or 15 round title fight. Just like a 400m runner doesn't train the same or run the race the same as a marathon runner. They're both runners, but there's a big difference. Same thing in boxing.
        Do you think they were even better conditioned when they did 120 rounds in a fight, or do you think maybe the pace was a little different? Trick question!

Anyway, you're not bringing anything to the table here, before you know it, I'll have to correct your misgivings about how men and women make babies or some other topic you'll bring in to the discussion to divert attention from your lack of knowledge. I've said it before, but this time I really am done here. Have fun getting the last word.
        Oliverlt=Owned

Comment

Originally posted by Kayo
          Oliverlt=Owned
          Agreed!

Thanks for the tips though fellas.

Comment

GBPRM, you like Julio Diaz? Why?

Comment

Working...
            X