Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

truth or myth ? are eastern european boxer taking over?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
    By Eastern Europe I'm assuming you mean countries from the former Soviet Union? I wouldn't say they're taking over when has a country other than the US ever taken over boxing? But they are making some noise. Promoters are taking more chances on them now as opposed to like 5 or 10 years ago because they realized that they can actually make some money off them. If we're being real it's basically because they're good and they're white (let's be real). I think a lot of that has to do with Golovkin's success. Kathy Duva mentioned it in an interview that she believes a big part of the reason HBO signed Kovalev was due to Golovkin's rise in 2013. I'm sure that's why Bob went after Lomachenko.

Currently "Eastern Europe" only has 7 champions (8 if Glazkov wins). Even less than the UK.
    UK now has 11 world champions. More than the whole of Eastern Europe combined.

But the USA only has 5, which is why the yanks are feeling threatened.

Comment

"Yeah they is." - RJJ

Comment

Has anyone had control of boxing really in the last several decades? Seems like there has always been a nice cross section of countries holding titles. In particular in these days when there are so many titles. I'm sure there'd be some domination back in the day of 8 titles. Nowadays its virtually impossible & since the 3-4 title era started I believe its been virtually impossible as well.

But definitely that Eastern European/"Russian" states region is bringing in a big pool of quality fighters that isn't gonna be anything like that Yuri Vaulin era lol. But taking over is a bit much to ask of them. I'm sure there are gonna be a lot of titles won all the same doe.

Comment

How many champions come from Eastern Europe? The answer to your question is no. Nothing like it. They do have some very good fighters at the moment though. Britain is doing better than Eastern Europe and you have not asked if they're taking over. People get an idea in their minds and then repeat it. No nation as small as Britain in land mass has ever had that many belt holders at the same time.

Comment

i think it just seems like that because the USA is losing its hegemony and the boxing world is becoming multipolar

also, i wouldn't necessarily conflate russia and the ukraine. apart from glazkov, most of the top ukrainian boxers seem to have closer ties to the USA and germany than to russia

Comment

Take Over? NO! Nobody is going to take over boxing although the UK seemed to have taken it in 2015 but it will rotate a bit, you will see stars from All Over The World make name for themselves in the sport of boxing as Boxing continues to grow all over the world despite its decline in America.

That is a huge advantage that Boxing has over MMA is its International Appeal because it has so many fighters involved from all over the world. Easter European have some excellent fighters no doubt about that, I watch a lot of WSB so see their next wave of fighters, Kazakhstan is a growing power in boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Fury4daWIN View Post
                GGG is neither white nor Eastern European.
                He's obviously a paisa, that's why he hired Abel Sanchez, has a heavy accent, wears a mariachi styled robe and fights in the traditional "Mexican style".

Comment

I don't think any one race or group of people will ever "take over" the sport. So no.

Comment

of course they are. big boxing networks are finally giving them some props and national tv dates and the fans are loving it. they are tired of that boring 'slick' running style that american boxing has succumbed to. they took a risk by putting stock into guys like kovalev and ggg and it has paid off tremendously.

Comment

Do u mean EE or former USSR countries as a whole?

It wasn't long ago that people were saying yeah but its only K2 they have really.. Yet lets look now with the absence of Klitschko era at HW:

CW: (WBO, IBF, WBA) Lebedev & Glowacki & Drozd (WBC champion in recess) pretty much own the division. Usyk is the best prospect.

LHW: Kovalev (WBA, IBF,WBO) Bivol interim WBA. Beterbiev & Gvodzyk.

SMW: No presence other than the talented but flawed Bute.

MW: Golovkin (WBC,WBA, IBF) Lets not forget Abraham & Pirog too who have contributed to a globally mixed bag over the past decade.

WW: No current champions but some of the best prospects: Konstantin Ponomarev, Egidijus Kavaliauskas, Taras Shelestyuk.

LWW: Postol, Troyanovsky (WBC & IBF) & Provodnikov.

Take into account that K2 have dominated an era, the p4p list currently has three former soviet nation boxers on it & of course Lomachenko has just won belts at FW/SFW too. Taking over? No. Huge presence? Yes. Both EE & Asia are having an increasingly bigger influence on the sport though..

Comment

Working...
                      X