No announcement yet.

The Great Harry Greb rare footage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Harry Greb rare footage

Here is a film of Harry Greb featuring some stuff I have never seen, I have seen the spar with Philadelphia Jack O'Brien but never seen the footage of him signing to fight Mickey Walker and it's great to see, Walker looks so ****y, he looks as if he thinks he's already beaten Greb (as we know he didn't). There is also an interview with a bloke I had a few arguments with and was a poster here for a while but he doesn't seem to be on here anymore. I knew he was writing a book on Harry, his name here and on another forum was Klompton, some of you may know him and I am sure you will enjoy his interview as well.
    Harry Greb to me is one of the great mysteries of boxing to me, I would have loved to see him fight, especially the fight against Walker, legend has it that Mickey Walker saw Harry celebrating on the night just after he had lost to Harry and legend has it they then had a streetfight... no idea if this is true but no doubt Stephen Compton (Klompton) would have the answer. Our arguments were usually over Darcy and Australian boxers which he didn't seem to have any time for except Darcy who he grudgingly admired (at least he said so). If this film has already been featured in a thread here somewhere I apologize but I am sure nobody will mind. Klompton says in the interview that Jeff Smith was a phenomenal fighter and Darcy annihilated him but Stephen reckoned Jeff was better than Les, hence we had some big bunfights but I liked the guy and still do.

Best of them all
    11.11%
    top 5
    33.33%
    Top 10
    11.11%
    outside top 10 (are you serious ?)
    11.11%
    can't judge because of lack of film
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

How no footage of possibly the greatest fighter that ever lived hasn't surfaced yet is the biggest travesty in boxing and will always be!

Comment

Originally posted by TOE-TO-TOE View Post
      How no footage of possibly the greatest fighter that ever lived hasn't surfaced yet is the biggest travesty in boxing and will always be!
      Yeah it's very sad, I don't think he was the greatest fighter ever but surely was a very great one. I have always imagined him trying to take Les Darcy's title (I always wondered how Darcy's career would have gone if he hadn't died at 21 yo but no doubt he would have been the recognized world champ in the USA as he was already recognized in Australia as the world champ). Darcy would not have been beaten before Harry was ready to challenge. As you may tell these two MW's I rate highly and a fight between them would have been incredible, basically the immovable object vs the irresistable force (actually both were irresistable forces but here I have Darcy as the immovable object because nobody could hurt the guy)

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
        legend has it that Mickey Walker saw Harry celebrating on the night just after he had lost to Harry and legend has it they then had a streetfight... no idea if this is true but no doubt Stephen Compton (Klompton) would have the answer.
        I believe the street fight story to be fiction, recall reading a post by Klompton on another site.

I don't believe he has ever posted here but he is active on a few other forums.

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
          I believe the street fight story to be fiction, recall reading a post by Klompton on another site.

Oh he did come on here I assure you, he did just to promote Greb and his book and to tell me Mike Gibbons would have beaten Darcy but I laughed at that and still do, Gibbons was good but not that good. Yes I think the streetfight story is fiction but I think based in reality somewhere, it seems that Greb and Walker hated each other and that they probably had an argument in some bar but somehow the story just got bigger and bigger and bigger until it got silly... how on earth would they have ever been in any shape to fight for an hour after they had just gone 20 rounds, but hey, a great yarn is a great yarn

Comment

Oh he did come on here I assure you, he did just to promote Greb and his book and to tell me Mike Gibbons would have beaten Darcy but I laughed at that and still do, Gibbons was good but not that good. Yes I think the streetfight story is fiction but I think based in reality somewhere, it seems that Greb and Walker hated each other and that they probably had an argument in some bar but somehow the story just got bigger and bigger and bigger until it got silly... how on earth would they have ever been in any shape to fight for an hour after they had just gone 20 rounds, but hey, a great yarn is a great yarn
            http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=593385

Comment

Here is a great teaser video for Klomptons book, where he got footage of some of these guys like Mike Gibbons and that bit of Jeff Smith who was soundly beaten by both Greb and Darcy but he did have wins against the likes of Eddie McGoorty, Jimmy Clabby and Mick King (if I recall rightly he lost one to King and beat King twice in rematches but the loss to King was highly controversial, not surprising many of Smiths fights caused lots of controversy) and some wins and losses to Mike Gibbons, Smith was one of the dirtiest fighters ever but he never seemed to give up the idea he could beat Greb, losing at least 5 times to Greb from memory, maybe 6 times, he sure was a gutsy and brave fighter. anyway the footage here is phenomenal, I won't name all the Greb opponents here cos I want you to enjoy this video......... and buy Klompton's book, it took him a decade of research to write the book.

Comment

Oh he did come on here I assure you, he did just to promote Greb and his book
                My mistake.

Comment

Thanks Bat... I still haven't bought that book as I did promise to and glad I am reminded of it now, can't order it in yet, have to wait until the Aussie dollar rises again, our dollar is so low now that the book would cost a fortune and I still have to buy the book on Jimmy Clabby that was written by Jimmy Clabby the third who offered me first copy in an email a few years back, he was interested in all my articles I had done on Les Darcy who of course beat his grandfather twice. I am yet to meet Mr Clabby in person but may do if he ever returns to Australia... I would write a book myself on Darcy but there have been many books written about the champion already and could only rehash the same material but Mr Clabby does have some extra information on Darcy that came from his grandad's writings....... I must get that book Bat.

Comment

My mistake.
                    Ahh no problem at all mate.

Comment

Working...
                    X