No announcement yet.

today i started boxing and....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• today i started boxing and....

My trainer put me against a guy with a few months expirence and that guy wrecked me. I'm 22 year old and the guy i fought was 17. It was my first day ever, the kid had already a few months. We were equally tall, but I was a little bit heavier. They gave us 12 oz gloves to fight. I got punch in the face with full power shots... I barley was able two land 2 shots on that guy, and those shots were on the stomach.

I don't know but was it ok to have me sparr very hard without a helmet and with 12 oz gloves after only ONE hour of training against a guy with a few months of training?

Also is it ok that I seems to not be capable to punch my opponent in the face? I mean I have a hesitation. I throw the punch and I can't go all the way with it... is like when you throw a fake jab.

Also I found out that I can take a punch for breakfeast with no problem.

What city & country are you in?
    I've trained fighters for close to 50 years and no one has ever sparred their first month in the gym let alone first day!
    The only thing I can think of is that your a ****y kid and he wanted to see if you could take a few shots and stick with it!
    If thats not the case and he allowed a full contact session your first day you need to find a real trainer! Soorry, I never heard of a trainer who didn't make a new guy "earn" ring time by training to condition and spent hours LEARNING

What did the trainer tell you to do?

Ray

Comment

Romania

Thank you for your response. Also, what a ****y kid means?

The trainer told us to have a "match". I thought it was supposed to be a light sparring, but the other guy started to land on me monstrous shots. The trainer just looked at us while I was getting wrecked with full power shots.
      Last edited by admin22; 01-18-2016, 11:32 AM.

Comment

That's about as bad as it can get when it comes to terrible coaching decisions.

12 oz gloves? Heavy sparring? No headgear? Let alone both of you are green makes it even worse.

Comment

Find a real boxing gym! No one on their first day starts to spar without learning some basic moves!
          Your taught defense and balance first, your in a bad situation if your trainer shows no heart for his students. He's trying to see if your tough enough but
          thats not the smart way to learn.
          Go some where else!
          Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            What city & country are you in?
            I've trained fighters for close to 50 years and no one has ever sparred their first month in the gym let alone first day!
            The only thing I can think of is that your a ****y kid and he wanted to see if you could take a few shots and stick with it!
            If thats not the case and he allowed a full contact session your first day you need to find a real trainer! Soorry, I never heard of a trainer who didn't make a new guy "earn" ring time by training to condition and spent hours LEARNING

What did the trainer tell you to do?

Ray
            Preach!!!

Who the heck throws a kid in the ring the first day? I swear these gyms nowadays.

When I first went to the gym as a youngster I didn't step foot in the ring to spar until I knew what the heck I was doing. Footwork was worked on for at least a few weeks, how to throw punches properly, balance. These are the things kids need to learn.
            Last edited by Rip Chudd; 01-18-2016, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by admin22 View Post
              My trainer put me against a guy with a few months expirence and that guy wrecked me. I'm 22 year old and the guy i fought was 17. It was my first day ever, the kid had already a few months. We were equally tall, but I was a little bit heavier. They gave us 12 oz gloves to fight. I got punch in the face with full power shots... I barley was able two land 2 shots on that guy, and those shots were on the stomach.

I don't know but was it ok to have me sparr very hard without a helmet and with 12 oz gloves after only ONE hour of training against a guy with a few months of training?

Also is it ok that I seems to not be capable to punch my opponent in the face? I mean I have a hesitation. I throw the punch and I can't go all the way with it... is like when you throw a fake jab.

I can understand if he put you in there for some light sparring in order to see how you react. What I can't understand is why he didn't use any headgear, heavy sparring, and with someone who is only a few months trained so they don't know how to go easy. I would stay if I were you but not if he does the routine sparring without headgear.

Comment

Ah.. One of those. There are a lot of trial by fire coaches out there.. I had one myself.

I liken it to a swimming analogy. Some dads enroll their children in the little dolphins or something.. Some swim class. They develop swim skills and eventually are proficient enough to swim in the deep end. Other dads (mine included) just toss you in the deep end assuming you will figure out how to swim. In theory this approach separates the wheat from the chaff, but.... Could quite possibly separate some chaff before it's had a chance to become wheat!

You have two options... Either you stay in your current gym and take the trial by fire route, or find a gym with a wiser approach. I lean towards the wiser approach, because 12 oz gloves and no head gear is not right for sparring. I mean, did this idiot even have you use a mouthpiece?

Oh.... And even in sparring don't let up on someone if they ain't letting up on you!

Comment

Sometimes trainer will throw a kid in the ring when they think the kid think he's tough, know everything, bullying type, ahole, etc. just to teach them a lesson and humiliate them.
                  Did you show any of those trait?.

Comment

22 is very old to start, 1 hour is no time at all. Instincts and reflexes have not even begin to form. Takes years.

Maybe they were trying to discourage you??

Comment

Working...
                    X