No announcement yet.

How harmfull is it to eat expired meat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
    I've also ate frozen steaks that had turned into a grey'ish colour from sitting in the freezer too long.

It turned out not so bad. I defrosted the steak, cut it into cubes and put it into a stew in a slow cooker.. It was fine, still tender and I couldn't even taste the "expired meat' taste.
    Originally posted by Genius~ View Post
    I used to eat expired meat all the time in my college days, nothing happened.

I've eaten pork that turned grey and steaks that turned dark grey cuz I couldn't afford to buy more lol. Tasted and smelled different but nothing happened. Not even an upset stomach.
    Dont know about pork, but beef turns grey/brown colour due to oxidization. It isnt bad for you.

Comment

There's a difference between an expiration date or due by date and the day you actually eat the stuff. Many foods have a date but with the statement "best to eat before" and a date.

Most Foods can be eaten days past an expiration date, but I'd be cautious of eating meat that's been in the fridge a long time, like two weeks.

Basically if it smells bad, it IS bad. For example fish really don't have a smell when the meat is fresh. Once it starts smelling fishy, toss it away. Same for chicken or beef.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
        Dont know about pork, but beef turns grey/brown colour due to oxidization. It isnt bad for you.
        Funny you mention that....the outer rind of guacamole dip turns a brownish color very quickly in the fridge. But it's still good to go.

Comment

You might cook it to kill the bacteria but you going to eat those juices up.

You simply cannot not wash rotten or expired away

Comment

Food oxidization generate a series of cancer causing autocatalytic free radical reactions. It is definitely not a good thing.

Comment

Dry aged beef, is the best type of beef.

Comment

Dude give it a whirl TS, consider it a lounge science experiment of sorts. Then report back with the results (if you're still alive). It'll be fun and educational for the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                  Food oxidization generate a series of cancer causing autocatalytic free radical reactions. It is definitely not a good thing.
                  Yeah but in fairness what doesn't cause cancer these days?

Me and my family have never worried about beef going dark, and we are all fine so far!

Comment

Yeah but in fairness what doesn't cause cancer these days?

Me and my family have never worried about beef going dark, and we are all fine so far!
                    I try to avoid what I know to be unhealthy. I wasn't always like that but the older I get the more I see the benefit. You can't always make the right choice but it's always going to be your best choice when you can so.

Comment

Working...
                    X