No announcement yet.

Toney/McCallum I: Similar fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
    Late he did, but he had to get off the floor twice and it's really a great fight.
    Yes, that's correct. I thought it was a very entertaining fight and Whitaker did have a very tough fight early.
    Last edited by joseph5620; 10-09-2011, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gotteskrieger View Post
      Just watched Whitaker/McGirt I, and heard Merchant describe it as ‘violent chess’; that’s a pretty good way of phrasing what I was looking for.

Seen a few of the others, I’ll be sure to watch the rest of them. Thanks!
      Also recommend the Toney-Mccallum rematches. Even III; Considering how much Toney still had, and the loss Mike was coming off of v. Roy, it's a remarkable fight with both guys throwing loads.

Comment

Carl Froch vs Mikkel Kessler
        Ricardo Lopez vs Rosendo Alvarez
        Jermaine Taylor vs Winky Wright

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
          Carl Froch vs Mikkel KesslerRicardo Lopez vs Rosendo Alvarez
          Jermaine Taylor vs Winky Wright
          those are terrible picks.

froch-kessler was fought at a very low skill level considering the stage. kessler fights in straight lines, froch has plain bad technique and both have close to no defense. neither made alot of adjustments and it wasnt really a chessmatch at all. it was a fight, kessler just had better fundamentals.

taylor? really? did you just reccomend a jermain taylor fight as a high level chessmatch? jermain was just swinging. it was a skilled and smart veteran (winky) fighting a guy who was physicly superior in every way. winky was boxing smart but not jermain, it wasnt high level skill on his part and damn sure no chessmatch.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
            those are terrible picks.

froch-kessler was fought at a very low skill level considering the stage. kessler fights in straight lines, froch has plain bad technique and both have close to no defense. neither made alot of adjustments and it wasnt really a chessmatch at all. it was a fight, kessler just had better fundamentals.

taylor? really? did you just reccomend a jermain taylor fight as a high level chessmatch? jermain was just swinging. it was a skilled and smart veteran (winky) fighting a guy who was physicly superior in every way. winky was boxing smart but not jermain, it wasnt high level skill on his part and damn sure no chessmatch.

I see your point about Taylor, but watch Froch vs Kessler again. Its a great fight fought at a high level you have to watch those guys more often to see there subtle skills(Froch is a really good offensive fighter).

Comment

I see your point about Taylor, but watch Froch vs Kessler again. Its a great fight fought at a high level you have to watch those guys more often to see there subtle skills(Froch is a really good offensive fighter).
              Froch is a warrior, one of my favorite fighters today, but there is nothing subtle nor technical about the way he fights. The guy doesn't win with skill, he wins with determination and tenacity. Nothing about his fight with Kessler can even be compared to Toney-McCallum. Neither him or Kessler will ever be confused with Wille Pep and they still only managed to muster a paltry 18 (Froch) and 19 (Kessler) percent connect rate averaging 8.2 connects a round (Froch) to Kesslers 12.3 over the 12 rounds. I won't even get into either fighters deficiencies, but by just viewing this recap you can see there are plenty. Not sure about these subtle skills you're talking about but would be interested in some examples. Im confident no objective fan will EVER confuse their skills with that of Toney and McCallum.

Comment

Benitez-Leonard and McGirt-Whitaker I?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  Froch is a warrior, one of my favorite fighters today, but there is nothing subtle nor technical about the way he fights. The guy doesn't win with skill, he wins with determination and tenacity. Nothing about his fight with Kessler can even be compared to Toney-McCallum. Neither him or Kessler will ever be confused with Wille Pep and they still only managed to muster a paltry 18 (Froch) and 19 (Kessler) percent connect rate averaging 8.2 connects a round (Froch) to Kesslers 12.3 over the 12 rounds. I won't even get into either fighters deficiencies, but by just viewing this recap you can see there are plenty. Not sure about these subtle skills you're talking about but would be interested in some examples. Im confident no objective fan will EVER confuse their skills with that of Toney and McCallum.

Watch the way Froch throws the up jab and follows it up with combinations that are accurate and come from awkward angles. Also as much as Froch looks off balance when he throws them he always seems to avoid big counters. Also I thought we were comparing the quality of fight not fighters with equal skill

Comment

Watch the way Froch throws the up jab and follows it up with combinations that are accurate and come from awkward angles. Also as much as Froch looks off balance when he throws them he always seems to avoid big counters. Also I thought we were comparing the quality of fight not fighters with equal skill
                    Sorry man but you're 100% wrong here. The fight was not fought at a high level, it was a high level fight. There is a difference. And as I said earlier there isn't ANYTHING particularly skillful about Froch.

Comment

We'll agree to disagree

Comment

Working...
                      X