Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto's opponents

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a fair assessment I mean he doesn't have an ATG record, even a HOF can possibly be argued against..

But I believe the Maussa, Quintana, Malignaggi, and even Torres victories are a tad underrated by the tough critics of NSB..he beat all those opponents while they were undefeated and some were promising prospects along with Cotto, what their careers became after Cotto has much to do with them having losses as opposed to being handed tomatoes to continue to pad a record..but most of those guys went on to still be Champions so they weren't exactly slouches either

But I agree Delvin is a mediocre win at best..it'll be In the same category as Foreman, Mayorga, Jennings type of victories..

Comment

Cotto in his prime was a B- Level fighter with a lot of hype. Now he's a past it C-Level fighter that up and coming champs are going to use to get to the next level.

He's an entertaining fighter when he's not retreating in a submissive manner.

but like TS said. His best wins are Judah, Mosley, Clottey and alot of people thought he lost 2 out of the 3. Which means he lost to

Pacquiao
      Margarito
      Mosley
      Mayweather
      Clottey
      Trout

then who the hell did he beat? Judah, Malignaggi and Foreman?

That's not a HOF record

Comment

Ive been saying this for the longest, and when I bring this up all his ******ed fans call me a "hater" and bring up my nationality.

I don't count the Judah win at all, the guy had back 2 back losses in 2 years, how could that be a "good" win? his win against a faded Mosley wasn't even all that and that's his best win till date.

I mostly bring this up frequently because Cotto always seems to get brought up in alot of fantasy fights, when the guy ALWAYS loses all his big fights.

I could care less if hes a draw, the guy is without a doubt the most overrated fighter of the past decade and has hit gatekeeper status already. Just look at his next opponent

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
          I've had this debate with you before, Cotto's resume is better than Castillo's and Corrales'.
          Cotto's best wins are Mosley, Judah, Clottey, Paulie, Torres, Quintana.

Castillo's best wins are Johnston, Bazan, J. Diaz, Lazcano, Corrales, Casamayor, and an arguable win over Mayweather.

It's a clear Castillo win for me.

Even Corrales has R. Garcia, Manfredy, Castillo, Casamayor, Gainer, and Freitas. Pretty similar to Cotto's best wins in terms of quality.

Comment

Originally posted by .WaRCoTTo. View Post
            That's a fair assessment I mean he doesn't have an ATG record, even a HOF can possibly be argued against..

But I believe the Maussa, Quintana, Malignaggi, and even Torres victories are a tad underrated by the tough critics of NSB..he beat all those opponents while they were undefeated and some were promising prospects along with Cotto, what their careers became after Cotto has much to do with them having losses as opposed to being handed tomatoes to continue to pad a record..but most of those guys went on to still be Champions so they weren't exactly slouches either

But I agree Delvin is a mediocre win at best..it'll be In the same category as Foreman, Mayorga, Jennings type of victories..
            I agree with this but I also think Rodríguez is a much more dangerous fight than all of those. All things considered, with the long layoff, this is a somewhat risky fight.

Comment

Ask yourself this question. At the time, who else should Cotto have fought?

Outside of Paul Williams, he fought everyone that was available for him to fight.

It's easy to look back on one's resume, and shoot down opponents. But if we're talking about "at the time", Cotto had solid victories. The Quintana one being the most underrated. Prime Quintana beat an undefeated Joel Julio who was a top prospect picked to make it to the top. He was KO'ing everyone. He went on to beat undefeated Paul Williams who was in the same boat.

Again, ask yourself, who else should Cotto have fought outside of the guys he already did fight?

Comment

I love Cotto,,, Im going to have his back on this one...

I think his resume is completely underrated...... Look at the stages in his career when he fought them....
                cotto beat
                Prime undefeated maussa
                prime undefeated pinto
                prime chop-chop
                prime undefeated torres
                Prime Judah
                Near prime Mosely
                Prime undefeated Pauli
                Prime Clottey
                Prime Quintana

Losses where to
                P4p #1 floyd in a competive fight
                #1 prime manny
                Prime margarito under dubious circumstances
                Prime undefeated Austin Trout

Not saying that he is an ATG top ten guy but he never backed down and fought everyone at their best,,,, Not alot of cherrypicking...

Comment

Also, Jose Luis Castillo is generally regarded as the best Lightweight of his era, Cotto was never the best of anything in his era.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                    Well I actually consider that a Castillo win, which elevates him in my book. He's the only guy I ever thought beat Floyd.
                    I thought Floyd won that fight but I do think performances in defeat should count and Cotto had good ones v Margarito, Mayweather and Trout.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      I love Cotto,,, Im going to have his back on this one...

I think his resume is completely underrated...... Look at the stages in his career when he fought them....
                      cotto beat
                      Prime undefeated maussa
                      prime undefeated pinto
                      prime chop-chop
                      prime undefeated torres

Prime Judah
                      Near prime Mosely
                      Prime undefeated Pauli
                      Prime Clottey
                      Prime Quintana

Losses where to
                      P4p #1 floyd in a competive fight
                      #1 prime manny
                      Prime margarito under dubious circumstances
                      Prime undefeated Austin Trout

Not saying that he is an ATG top ten guy but he never backed down and fought everyone at their best,,,, Not alot of cherrypicking...
                      The bolded aren't considered good wins for ANYONE else.

The underlined are considered average at best wins for ANYONE else.

Comment

Working...
                      X