Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs. David Lemieux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any quotes by Lemieux on how hard Rubio hits?

Comment

• Ggg is getting ktfo

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        Any quotes by Lemieux on how hard Rubio hits?

Mexico's super middleweight contender Marco Antonio "Veneno" Rubio is a common opponent for middleweight champions David Lemieux and Gennady "GGG" Golovkin - who on October 17th will face each other in an IBF/IBO/WBA title unification from Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Rubio and Gabriel Rosado are the only two common opponents for the middleweight punchers. Rubio, like everyone else, expects a knockout ending.

In 2011, Rubio stopped a very green David Lemieux (who was 25-0) in the seventh round. Lemieux was well ahead on the cards and working Rubio over badly in the early rounds, but he ran out of gas and was stopped.

Rubio fought Golovkin a year ago and was stopped in the second round. The Mexican fighter says he was a dead man in the ring after struggling with weight for the entire training camp. Rubio failed to make weight for that fight and moved up to 168-pounds in his next bout.

"I see a lot of possibilities for Lemieux, he hits hard. We fought four years ago, he was inexperienced, he hits very hard and has great potential. Not to disparage anyone, but with 'GGG' I was a dead man because I was struggling with the weight. I was in the sauna the entire time and with Lemieux was one hundred percent. I would even say that Lemieux can win because he is a complete fighter and hard hits. When the time comes, he will have a chance," said Rubio to ESPN Deportes.

"Obviously GGG is the favorite because he is more dangerous, but do not doubt that David might surprise him. We have not seen anyone who can hit Gennady as [hard as] Lemieux can. It will be a very good fight, a war in which people can not blink at all."
        There you go...

Comment

• A lot of people think this is a power contest.

Fools.

Comment

• It's not a power contest butt lemmieux hit a ton and ggg defense isn't the greatest
            Last edited by mjbjst; 10-17-2015, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• does anyone know at what time the main event (i.e. GGG vs. lemieux) will approximately start tonight?

all I could find was 6 pm PT, but that's for the undercard, right?

I'm asking because I'm in central Europe, and 6 pm PT would be 3 am here - and I'm not getting up for any fight but GGG vs. lemieux at that time

cheers!

Comment

• Gonzalez is damn good, but Viloria never makes it easy. And there's something about Viloria in those underdog roles, he raises his game (Solis, Segura). Really looking forward to this one

Comment

• 7 years ago...

Yes, around 7 years ago, i came on this site saying that i have seen live the most powerful puncher of the middleweight division: David Lemieux. The hate that i got for saying that was unbelievable. Today, there will be a fight against the two hardest puncher of the division. I came back on this site to say that Dawson did not belong in P4P T10, again hate + 10000 red little squares, that i proudly still have. People should calm down, and listen about others opinion, i know boxing, like many do. I fought in the ring, why the hate? I'm from Montréal and i hope Lemieux wins, GGG is older, has more experienced, amateur + pro, but i heard those heavy shots from Lemieux, and i think GGG will be more careful after the first shot... Good fight to everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dolor View Post
                    does anyone know at what time the main event (i.e. GGG vs. lemieux) will approximately start tonight?

all I could find was 6 pm PT, but that's for the undercard, right?

I'm asking because I'm in central Europe, and 6 pm PT would be 3 am here - and I'm not getting up for any fight but GGG vs. lemieux at that time

cheers!
                    Never watched U.S. cards live so far? Shame...
                    ... Then, as punishment, do the 'time zones' calculus by yourself...

Comment

• Originally posted by Megamasterking View Post
                      Yes, around 7 years ago, i came on this site saying that i have seen live the most powerful puncher of the middleweight division: David Lemieux. The hate that i got for saying that was unbelievable. Today, there will be a fight against the two hardest puncher of the division. I came back on this site to say that Dawson did not belong in P4P T10, again hate + 10000 red little squares, that i proudly still have. People should calm down, and listen about others opinion, i know boxing, like many do. I fought in the ring, why the hate? I'm from Montréal and i hope Lemieux wins, GGG is older, has more experienced, amateur + pro, but i heard those heavy shots from Lemieux, and i think GGG will be more careful after the first shot... Good fight to everyone.

The worst thing that happened to David Lemieux was that he KO'd Elvin Ayala & Hector Camacho Jr both back to back in the 1st round of those fights. At just 21 years old, it put him into a WBC eliminator with Rubio for a shot at Chavez Jr. At the time Bute was a rock star in Montreal and GYM thought David could be even bigger, so they rushed him.

Going into the December before he fought Rubio they tried to get him a tough journeyman level fighter to better prepare him for Rubio, who at the time wasn't far removed from the Kelly Pavlik battering. GYM reached out to Ishe Smith, Kassim Ouma, and Ossie Duran who said they needed more than 4 weeks notice for the fight, so GYM moronically got a low-level journeyman Purnell Gates who offered no resistance to David.

At 22, David was not prepared for Rubio due to his early success. Rubio was badly beaten by Pavlik, but he was on the rebound with solid wins over good journeyman going into the Lemieux fight. David was easily beating Rubio, until he was caught diving in on Rubio while throwing a punch. He had no idea how to tie up, he used his offense to ward off Rubio and depleted his energy doing so.

8 months later they bring him back vs Alcine, figuring that if Santos & Angulo could catch Alcine at JMW, he'd be easy work for David. The Rubio loss, the long layoff, and the change in trainers & gyms all factored in to David fighting tentatively in that defeat. Like Rubio, Alcine knew what he was doing and David was again ill-prepared for that fight.

I don't think David beats Golovkin, but people are foolish if they write Lemieux off for his early defeats. He's proven himself vs N'Dam (who most fans here thought David would either avoid or lose badly too) and Rosado. He clearly showed he was a class or two ahead of those guys. Tonight we'll see Golovkin pushed more than we've ever seen him pushed.

Comment

Working...
                      X