No announcement yet.

Wlad's "weak" chin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
    He was knocked down also by Steve Pannell (first time in his career), another concussive puncher.
    I don't think his chin is anywhere near as bad as its made out.

The guys who have hurt him, dropped/stopped him have all been very heavy handed. Sanders hit like a mule! Brewster & Peter could sure crack
    I'd say most was more from fatigue than him having a bad chin.

The first knockdown in the Peter fight wasn't an illegal punch & the second was a push.

I really don't think his chins even bad & it certainly is not as bad as its made out to be.
    I think the same. Sanders dropped him clearly but those punches were brutal and still he was on his feet every time he was dropped.

Peter and especially Brewster fights showed more problem on stamina rather than chin. Why else wouldn't Peter finish him like he did it 21 out 24 times prior to that.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
      He was knocked down also by Steve Pannell (first time in his career), another concussive puncher.
      I don't think his chin is anywhere near as bad as its made out.

The guys who have hurt him, dropped/stopped him have all been very heavy handed. Sanders hit like a mule! Brewster & Peter could sure crack
      I'd say most was more from fatigue than him having a bad chin.

The first knockdown in the Peter fight wasn't an illegal punch & the second was a push.

I really don't think his chins even bad & it certainly is not as bad as its made out to be.
      Pannell said he was going to exploit a flaw he saw in Wlad's defense.

Just like Schmelling said he saw a flaw in Joe Louis' defense before their first fight.

Nearly anybody can be knocked down. Wlad has a GOOD chin, not a great chin like his brother but a good one.

Wlad had flaws in his defense but they have been corrected. He's not been down during the last 8 years, despite fighting hard punchers like Haye, Ibragimov and Peter, as well as moderately hard punchers like Chagaev, Brewster, Thompson, Wach, Brock, etc.

Wach is a hard puncher. He had fewer KOs early on because he was too slow to hit his opponents flush, and perhaps because he wasn't on PEDs then. But he was on a streak of 7 KO wins before fighting Wlad.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
        Pannell said he was going to exploit a flaw he saw in Wlad's defense.

Just like Schmelling said he saw a flaw in Joe Louis' defense before their first fight.

Nearly anybody can be knocked down. Wlad has a GOOD chin, not a great chin like his brother but a good one.

Wlad had flaws in his defense but they have been corrected. He's not been down during the last 8 years, despite fighting hard punchers like Haye, Ibragimov and Peter, as well as moderately hard punchers like Chagaev, Brewster, Thompson, Wach, Brock, etc.

Wach is a hard puncher. He had fewer KOs early on because he was too slow to hit his opponents flush, and perhaps because he wasn't on PEDs then. But he was on a streak of 7 KO wins before fighting Wlad.
        How can you have a good chin if you have been put on your arse about 50 times?

Comment

I think the problem with "young" Wlad wasn't his chin but his (in)experience. He used to panic when he was hit. And all of the fights he lost he panic.

He eliminated that among many other things. That's why I think he is much much better fighter than he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by shade darkar View Post
            How can you have a good chin if you have been put on your arse about 50 times?
            How many times?

And did he get up after all of those? How many fights he fought?
            Knock down is -1 point on the score card nothing else.

It is very strange to judge on 3 out of 62 fights...

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
              Prior to Wlad's fight Wach had 7 consecutive KOs - all of them were at early or mid stage of fight. He did hurt Wlad but I think he would not just hurt but dropped many great HWs with that punch.
              7 straight KO's against complete bums doesn't really prove anything. Those guys he was knocking out had about 50 losses between them.

A heavyweight with a 50% KO ratio against bums isn't a big puncher.

Comment

He has a weak chin no doubt but when you can execute a gameplan as well as Wlad can now, it doesn't really matter imo.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                  7 straight KO's against complete bums doesn't really prove anything. Those guys he was knocking out had about 50 losses between them.

A heavyweight with a 50% KO ratio against bums isn't a big puncher.
                  Ok, you have a decent argument on that. Let's agree he is not a big puncher.

Now, have you seen the punch he landed on Wlad in 6th round? Do you think weak/bad chin would survive that?

Comment

Wlads chin isn't half as bad as people make out,he wouldn't have been a heavyweight champion for so long if it was,people said the same thing about lewis'

Comment

Originally posted by Napalm Death View Post
                      He has a weak chin no doubt but when you can execute a gameplan as well as Wlad can now, it doesn't really matter imo.
                      Why do you think he has a weak chin ?

Answer to that question is the whole point of this thread. I would appreciate if you can be specific rather than say he was down that many times (as I elaborated that in the opening post).

Even the best chin on fighter with bad defense doesn't keep you from being knock down. (chisora/pacman are recent examples).

Comment

Working...
                      X