No announcement yet.

Talked to a doctor about Mago

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Syf View Post
    WRONG. A doctor disregards the power of belief and hope. Many a doctor have robbed a man of his hope and robbed a man of his fight, with their worst case scenario mutterings and then said man has promptly died

There is a place for dispassionate science, but in a matter where we are also considering the ability of a human being to recover from sickness, injury, and near death, the power of hope and belief should never be underestimated.

I'm speaking in general terms, when a doctor gives his worst case scenario spiel to people that are then robbed of their fight. Obviously its not going to affect Mago any.
    Youre taking what I'm saying out of context. As it relates to Mago, if he is brain dead then there's no coming back from that. Hope and believe can help you if you're sick to push you persevere but not if your unconscious.

Comment

Originally posted by robust_ View Post
      Dr. was speaking in an informal setting. I highly doubt Dr. would speak that way to his patient. Also, it was speculation, not his medical opinion.

I don't see anything wrong with speculating in that fashion. If he spoke with his patient that way, then that would be offensive.
      The donate organs part is particularly cold blooded to say, imo. Many doctors present the worst case scenario as the only outcome. Not all, but there are enough of them that do this to be a problem.

Originally posted by AgainstTheRopes View Post
      Youre taking what I'm saying out of context. As it relates to Mago, if he is brain dead then there's no coming back from that. Hope and believe can help you if you're sick to push you persevere but not if your unconscious.
      Hope and belief will still guide a man, even in a coma. Some wake up from comas, some don't. To a doc, the ones that actually get better are outliers and to be disregarded.

I know you weren't referring to the doctor speaking to Mago or his family, but look, his callous comments have reached Boxingscene and one of Mago's people might see this. One small ripple can spread across a whole pond.

Comment

Neither TS nor the doctor know WTF is REALLY going on. So why come here and play with people's emotions? This thread is fkin trash. Red K sent. Disgusting.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Man, I cant believe this thread hasn't been deleted. This dude really pissed me off just now.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Why would you post some speculative **** like this? That is an uninformed guess at best. You lack information to give the DR. the guy gave you a scenario does not mean that is the one playing .

Comment

Originally posted by robust_ View Post
              Dr. was speaking in an informal setting. I highly doubt Dr. would speak that way to his patient. Also, it was speculation, not his medical opinion.

I don't see anything wrong with speculating in that fashion. If he spoke with his patient that way, then that would be offensive.
              I agree with this post. As a medical professional, the man was probably just stating what he believed might be a realistic scenario/outcome, however terrible it might sound. He doesn't know the specific circumstances, he's just giving his opinion as a doctor.

Comment

My best friend was hit by a car 2 years ago and was a coma and he was able to breath on his own and had brain swelling.

They tried to bring him out and each time his swelling would increase as soon as they eased off the meds keeping his brain activity down.

While I wasn't given full details as I wasn't family it's basically very unpredictable and sometimes people do recover from being on life support, unfortunately my friend had some massive swelling of the brain stem overnight which couldn't be helped by removing the skull and died.

He was kept on life support for 2 days while they harvested his organs.

I've read of similar cases since where there has been a full recovery and while I would never begrudge anyone that as its a great thing I can't help but be a little angry that others lived while my friend died. He was 33.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
                  The donate organs part is particularly cold blooded to say, imo. Many doctors present the worst case scenario as the only outcome. Not all, but there are enough of them that do this to be a problem.
                  You understand you're criticizing a doctor's informal opinion during a conversation with a friend (probably not meant to reach the internet), and using it as a vehicle for your personal crusade? lol.

Get real dude. It was a conversation between friends that you've taken completely out of context to withdraw and assert generalizations that aren't supported by anything more than your opinion.

If anything you should mention the realities of keeping someone alive on life support. It is a significant financial investment that is not always affordable. Doctor's, ethically speaking, are not allowed to encourage a patient (or his/her family) one way or the other, unless asked of their opinion. It's ultimately the family's decision as to what to do when someone is on life support. Unfortunately, economic realities can be huge a factor in the decision. It's unfair to make blanket accusations imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Foreign Soil View Post
                    Doctors like that should be shot. No people skills - just quick to judgement and tossing around nameless body parts.
                    lol what? obviously the guy op talked to doesnt know any details or whats going on, none of us do, he was just guessing from what he heard. But IF someones brain dead theres not much you can do

Comment

My gf is a physician. I also discussed the case with her and she read whatever info we have.

Her main concern is brain damage, though she of course acknowledges that she needs much more information. Whatever the case, I tried to make her say positive things on his outlook but as a physician she can read the signs and they are not good. At best she told me that with more info she could change her mind.

i'm ****ing pissed at his corner, sad, and enraged that HBO was so happy with the fight and talking **** about Wlad's style.

Comment

Working...
                      X