Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anybody catch the HBO documentary on Scientology 'Going Clear' last night?.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    So after watching the documentary, I checked out some stuff online, like accounts from former members and ****. There was this one account that stood out in particular, where this woman claimed that she had dedicated her life to scientology, and went through her entire life savings of 67K paying through the steps. That of course still left her short of several (probably many) steps, but, lady didn't have anymore cash. So she couldn't climb up that proverbial ladder anymore and she was upset about it, and supposedly complained to a church higher-up.

She was then immediately labeled an "SP" (suppressive person) and banned from the church.

This of course was just a random anonymous online account, so who knows if it really happened or not, but if the documentary is accurate at all then I wouldn't doubt the validity of it.
    Haven't watched the documentary yet but the whole Scientology thing is ****ing astounding with the level of support they get from celebrities. The hilarious thing is Scientologist, Cruise being one of them, absolutely hate with a passion psychiatry and everything it stands for. When in reality they are virtually the same exact system only offering Placebo medicine in the form of OT level **** or whatever. For the celebrities they are put on a huge pedestal and are made to feel really important within the sect. With the religion feeding and empowering the celebs celebrity they are doing themselves and the celebrity a favor. Cruise is nuts and obviously there is no shaking his narcissist ego. Other people like Travolta just kind of fell into it and stuck with it like many others because of the emotional and spiritual support it has provided them and their families. Yea Scientology may make you feel more comfortable in your own skin, but I mean come on? How diluted would you have to be to get to that point?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Yeah exactly. The whole scientology thing just seems like a massive f**king scam of biblical proportions. What religion would require you to pay large sums of money...just to learn more about the damn religion? The fuq? I had no idea about that until I watched Going Clear. Blew my mind that they have to pay for each step of the way, and there's a f**k ton of steps, too.
        Honestly I don't know whats so mind blowing about it, all religions are cults it's just some got popular. Christianity used to tax the **** out of people for sinning, every little small sin you had to pay a price for it. As time went on and things changed, they have other means of getting money but it's still a scam. Couple hundred years from now, who knows maybe Scientology or some other BS cult will have picked up a lot of steam and be the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          Yeah

"You floydiots are such SPs"

"I don't really like Bob arum, he is an SP"

I think bringer got into Scientology, realized we all SPs, and "disconnected" from us
          I was just hanging out in NSB and it's filled with SP's....f**king SP's everywhere in that b*tch.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
            Where did i say religion was "just something to believe in"?
            Im saying its very complex and there are reasons i couldnt explain how people are able to overlook what appears like clear bs to us.
            Its not as simple as gullibility. There way more to it.
            I was referring specifically to Scientology. That IS what this thread is about isn't it?

If you are in Scientology, and you get revealed the secrets of the universe and it involves DC9 aircraft, billions of years, volcanoes, atomic bombs, and some planet....and you still believe....

You are a fuc.king moron. Plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
              I'm not sure if you're familiar with the term, but 'McDojos' utilize the same technique.
              i can help you with that

93 Warning Signs Your Dojo is a McDojo

1. You wear multicolored uniforms.

2. The dojo advertises as ***8220;Non-Contact Karate***8221;.

3. You wear a thousand badges/patches on your gi.

4. You are awarded black belt in 1-2 years.

5. Advancement to the next rank is an expense (and a hefty one at that), instead of an honorful achievement.

6. Prospective students are required to become a member/subscribe before even trying a lesson.

7. Your sensei is a ***8220;grandmaster***8221; with 7th dan or above, yet is 30 years or younger.

8. There is a ***8220;special course***8221; that***8217;ll get you black belt in 6 months or less.

9. (And yes, that course is super expensive.)

10. Your sensei won***8217;t spar/fight with you because he ***8220;doesn***8217;t want to hurt you***8221;.

11. Individual development and personal expression is virtually non-existant. Instead, a strong conformist mentality is encouraged, since this inflexible mindset is what makes it easy for a sensei to rule the dojo.

12. You are never taught bunkai (applications) to moves.

13. If you are taught bunkai, they never work ***8211; except when your sensei does them.

14. Instructors wear special ***8216;instructor belts***8217; rather than regular belts reflecting their true ranking.

15. There are many claims of being an ***8220;award winning dojo***8221;, with little or no solid evidence to back this up.

16. Your sensei studied marketing longer than Karate.

17. Instructors are required to have the dojo***8217;s decals on their car.

18. You never practise low kicks.

19. There is a sign that says ***8220;Guaranteed Black Belt***8221;.

20. There are 11th dan, 12th dan, 13th dan or even higher grades.

21. Your sensei has one of those grades.

22. ***8230;and he ***8220;got it in Japan***8221;.

23. Your style was created by your sensei, yet it***8217;s still ***8220;traditional***8221; ***8211; and it has several ***8220;special advantages***8221; over all other styles. Oh, and most likely, the name of the style is absurdly long.

24. There are camouflage belts.

25. You have stripes on your belt that signify how much you have paid (rather than what rank you have)

26. Gradings are fifteen minutes long.

27. There are 7-year old black belts.

28. The dojo sign has the words ***8216;traditional***8217;, ***8216;commando***8217;, ***8216;classical***8217;, ***8216;effective***8217;, ***8216;100%***8217;, ***8216;original***8217;, ***8216;Okinawan***8217;, ***8216;dragon***8217;, ***8216;Japanese***8217;, ***8216;secret***8217; and ***8216;elite***8217; in the same sentence.

29. Between belt grades you get colored tabs on your belt to denote ***8216;half***8217; or ***8216;quarter***8217; ranks.

30. You can grade via mail order.

31. Wearing/buying the dojo merchandize is mandatory.

32. Your dojo is cluttered with trophies. So cluttered that every time you take a step towards any direction in a kata, you***8217;re actually stepping on a trophy.

33. Speaking of kata; there are waaaay too many of them.

34. Your grandmaster is 14-times World Champion (WKITSKTFKTAF)

35. You are not allowed to compete. It is not ***8220;honorful***8221;.

36. You are required to compete. It is ***8220;honorful***8221;.

37. Cheesy sales tactics are used to effectively bind up loyal customers (a.k.a. ***8220;students***8221.

38. You are doing kata to music.

39. If you use weapons, they glow in the dark and weigh a maximum of 3 oz.

40. The instructor uses students as punching bags.

41. Movements don***8217;t have names ***8211; they have numbers.

42. The dojo***8217;s web address is printed on the back of your uniform.

43. The dojo***8217;s phone number is printed on the back of your uniform.

44. The instructor refuses to teach you certain techniques, because they are ***8220;too deadly***8221;

45. (When in fact, the instructors is just holding you back for fear that you***8217;ll get better than him.)

46. The instructor demands respect. He doesn***8217;t earn it.

47. Red gi for the grandmaster, black gi for instructors and white gi for regular students.

48. You must pay for an entire year up front, no refunds (long-term contracts with no termination clauses).

49. Your sensei sounds and acts like a motivational speaker.

50. Besides teaching Karate, your grandmaster also teaches ***8216;cardio kickboxing***8217; (or similar).

51. Reference is repeatedly made to the notorious ***8220;street***8221;, and what works/doesn***8217;t work there.

52. The dojo has an official mascot.

53. Your sensei can***8217;t explain the meaning of any given technique.

54. Nobody ever fails at a grading.

55. Kids***8217; classes are more games and chaos than actual Karate.

56. First thing that greets students when they enter the dojo? A cash register.

57. Senior students are required to recruit new members door to door.

58. Your dojo website doesn***8217;t say anything about the actual style of Karate, but instead makes lot of reference to ***8220;empowerment***8221;, ***8220;mindfulness***8221;, ***8220;concentration***8221; and tournament results.

59. Time-based progression through ranks, rather than achievement-based.

60. Your sensei has registered his fists as ***8216;deadly weapons***8217; with the local police authorities.

61. Your grandmaster rarely teaches stuff hands-on (he has assistants for that).

62. There are ***8220;forbidden***8221; techniques that only certain students are taught.

63. You***8217;re wearing a taekwondo uniform.

64. Cross training is discouraged.

65. Other schools are talked down.

66. Kyu grade students are recruited to become instructors early on, and put in ***8216;accelerated learning programs***8217;.

67. Your grandmaster has a habit of dating students.

68. ***8220;Sensei, when will I learn my next kata?***8221;

69. ***8220;When you buy the DVD!***8221;

70. You are rarely taught philosophical concepts, strategy or theory.

71. Doing stuff that***8217;s ***8220;correct***8221; is seen as more important than doing stuff that actually works.

72. You practise harnessing your ki/chi power.

73. Quantity is encouraged over quality ***8211; both physical and theoretical.

74. The sensei is always right, everybody else are wrong.

75. The style is always right, everything else is wrong.

76. The dojo is always right, everyplace else is wrong

77. Questioning the style, teacher, lineage or dojo is a big no-no.

78. New students aren***8217;t allowed to watch a class; ***8220;Just sign the dotted line.***8221;

79. Your sensei adds/changes/removes techniques when he feels like it. Which is basically every week.

80. Your sensei teaches crescent kicks as disarming techniques for handguns and knives.

81. You train defense against baseball bats by blocking with your forearm.

82. Your sensei invokes fear.

83. You bow to a huge portrait of your sensei hanging on the wall.

84. There are ***8220;hidden***8221; techniques in kata.

85. When you practise self-defense, it***8217;s always based on a scenario where your opponent steps towards you with a straight punch and then leaves his/her arm dangling in front of you as you execute 5-10 different finishing techniques.

86. Your sensei knows the ***8216;no-touch***8217; K.O.

87. Your memory to recall techniques is tested more often than your actual skill in performing techniques.

88. Your instructor prefers to use ***8220;grandmaster***8221;, ***8220;master***8221; or ***8220;sensei***8221; rather than his real name. Both in print and person.

89. Showing techniques you learnt from someplace else is frowned upon.

90. The dojo equipment can***8217;t stand full contact use.

91. Students scream more than they bow.

92. If you make a mistake, it***8217;s quickly (and often loudly) pointed out by your sensei. But when you make something correct? Crickets.

93. You practise backflips.

Comment

Originally posted by Spit Dialect View Post
                I was referring specifically to Scientology. That IS what this thread is about isn't it?
                Why did you mention John Smith then?
                If you are in Scientology, and you get revealed the secrets of the universe and it involves DC9 aircraft, billions of years, volcanoes, atomic bombs, and some planet....and you still believe....

You are a fuc.king moron. Plain and simple.
                I dont see much difference in people believeing Scientology or the bible, Koran etc.
                I dont think its as plain and simple as you like to think. Id say thats incredibly ignorant and naive.

Comment

I dont see much difference in people believeing Scientology or the bible, Koran etc.
                  I dont think its as plain and simple as you like to think. Id say thats incredibly ignorant and naive.
                  lol your a fockin idiot that is all.

Comment

I mentioned Joseph Smith because Mormonism and Scientology are recent religions.

Your last paragraph contradicts your original criticism of me. It's much more logical and understandable that people would believe in the Abrahamic religions, Hinduism or Buddhism for example.

Simply because they are OLD. When you are born literally thousands of years later, it's easier to accept because the legends have grown. Whereas, in Scientology for example, the founder of the religion is available to you, same with Mormonism.

Just like the gentleman in the Scientology documentary said, that when he was given the secrets of the religion, he called it BS and was out. There's no way a rational, logical person can listen to that nonsense and stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Spit Dialect View Post
                      I mentioned Joseph Smith because Mormonism and Scientology are recent religions.

Your last paragraph contradicts your original criticism of me. It's much more logical and understandable that people would believe in the Abrahamic religions, Hinduism or Buddhism for example.

Simply because they are OLD. When you are born literally thousands of years later, it's easier to accept because the legends have grown. Whereas, in Scientology for example, the founder of the religion is available to you, same with Mormonism.

Just like the gentleman in the Scientology documentary said, that when he was given the secrets of the religion, he called it BS and was out. There's no way a rational, logical person can listen to that nonsense and stay.
                      It all seems totally absurd to you and me, but i think we (humans) are complex as hell, and i dont think people believe this stuff just out of gullibility. That plays a part, but i also think there is a lot more going on. Thats all im saying.

Comment

Working...
                      X