No announcement yet.

Some of your favorite fighters who never won championships

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    You really think that Bonavena would beat either of the Klitschko's? I wouldn't even pick him over Haye, Adamek, Chambers, or Povetkin. Bonavena had the wrong size and style to fight the top heavyweights of this era.
    You crazy?!? He nearly beat FRAZIER in their 1st fight and decked him twice and you think all THOSE guys would beat him?!?! NO WAY! I agree Klitschkos would be a stretch, but Oscar was a very strong and tough guy who could take loads of punishment and come back strong. He only lost to the very best, most durable guys who could also take punishment well. Frazier, Ali, Patterson and Lyle, to name a few.

One thing that sets him back is his height, or lack of. He stood only about 5'11. Some sources say he was 6'1, but he didn't look that tall standing head to head with Ali. There is a funny clip on that btw, where they both break eachothers balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
      You crazy?!? He nearly beat FRAZIER in their 1st fight and decked him twice and you think all THOSE guys would beat him?!?! NO WAY! I agree Klitschkos would be a stretch, but Oscar was a very strong and tough guy who could take loads of punishment and come back strong. He only lost to the very best, most durable guys who could also take punishment well. Frazier, Ali, Patterson and Lyle, to name a few.

One thing that sets him back is his height, or lack of. He stood only about 5'11. Some sources say he was 6'1, but he didn't look that tall standing head to head with Ali. There is a funny clip on that btw, where they both break eachothers balls.
      Bonavena was a very tough guy and brawlers his size like Frazier were ideal for him. If he had more size, speed, or one punch KO power I'd give him a better shot. Bonavena is one of these fighters who is more famous for the Frazier and Ali losses than any fight he won. Frazier was very early in his career the first time they fought, and Ali hadn't been past the 3rd round in four years and was plenty rusty.

I'm not saying that Bonavena would be an easy fight for anyone, just that he was around in the right era for him.

Comment

Bonavena had an interesting style. It wouldnt have matched up well against the Klitschko brothers, but it would have really beat up someone like Povetkin. Although hes more famous for his good efforts in his losses against Patteron, Frazier and Ali, he still had good wins over Peralta, Chuvalo and Mildenberger.

Comment

Bonavena was a very tough guy and brawlers his size like Frazier were ideal for him. If he had more size, speed, or one punch KO power I'd give him a better shot. Bonavena is one of these fighters who is more famous for the Frazier and Ali losses than any fight he won. Frazier was very early in his career the first time they fought, and Ali hadn't been past the 3rd round in four years and was plenty rusty.

I'm not saying that Bonavena would be an easy fight for anyone, just that he was around in the right era for him.
          How do you know he didn't have it? He knocked out 44 out of 58 opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
            How do you know he didn't have it? He knocked out 44 out of 58 opponents.
            I've seen Bonavena fight many times. He had heavy hands, but simply wasn't a one punch KO artist. Stats can be deceiving. Tell me this, who is the best fighter that Bonavena ever KO'd? I'm pretty sure it wasn't anyone in the top 30.

Comment

I've seen Bonavena fight many times. He had heavy hands, but simply wasn't a one punch KO artist. Stats can be deceiving. Tell me this, who is the best fighter that Bonavena ever KO'd? I'm pretty sure it wasn't anyone in the top 30.
              Er, maybe you're right. It seems Manuel "Pulgarcito" Ramos is his most famous ko victim. He had several good opponents hurt but just couldn't finish them off, so maybe he was just a bad finisher.

Comment

Easy pick - Jamie Moore

Love em, right in my top 10 favourites list

Comment

Emmanuel Augustus
                  Ron Lyle
                  Wilfredo Rivera
                  Sakio Bika(Unless you count country titles)
                  Jadon Condrington
                  Edison Miranda was exciting as hell too.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
                    Any fighters who never won a world championship or were just good fighters that you really liked? Just for one reason or another, you took a liking to them & followed their career?

I always liked Bernardo Mercardo, Oscar Bonavena & Eddie "Animal" Lopez. I'm Italian, Polish & Czeck, not a latin, but for whatever reason, I liked these guys.
                    Met Mercardo at Larry Holmes training camp. He could bang!
                    Bonavena, I liked him from when I watched the fights with Frazier. Tough, rugged & what a character! I almost cried when he got shot & killed at Conforte's whore house.
                    Eddie Lopez impressed me when he fought Leon. He looked good against Tate also.

Mitch Green was another guy I really liked. Met him and he was pretty happy that someone showed an interest in him. We had three nice long talks over a 3 day period & he was nothing like he was when he was getting tazed on a street corner in NY by the police! Remember when he was being interviewed about Tyson & he flexed a bicep while at the same time saying that Tyson was a Ho-Mo! Pretty funny guy in his interviews.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Qzp...1B6BB42B052251
                    I really like watching Howard Davis Jr and his speed. He came up short against Jim Watt and knockdowns lost it for him against Edwin Rosario in a close fight. With his background I'm surprised he never won a world title. I also admire a lot of the top heavyweights from the 70's like Quarry and Lyle who never won a title.

Yaqui Lopez deserves a mention too. He came close with Galindez and fought in a very tough era for light heavyweights.

Comment

You really think that Bonavena would beat either of the Klitschko's? I wouldn't even pick him over Haye, Adamek, Chambers, or Povetkin. Bonavena had the wrong size and style to fight the top heavyweights of this era.

I don't see him beating any of those fighters either and the Klitschko's would be a physical mismatch.

Comment

Working...
                      X