No announcement yet.

Canelo Is Not a Middleweight!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SAN D13GO VILLAN View Post
    That's why he said that him and his team will talk and decide if he will move to 160 or not... I honestly don't think they were to concern with the belt as much as they were with Cotto... They wanted Cotto on his resume... But I do agree he should vacate and fight him when he's ready.
    I think that canelo will indeed fight ggg at some point the question is when and at what weight? canelo doesn't seem like the type to avoid anybody.he just won the MW title so we shall see if that continues to be case.

Comment

• Originally posted by sparkman0811 View Post
      Show me a middleweight who can make 155.
      I'm sure if Golovkin was 25, he'd have no problem draining his body like that. Unless you thinking age has nothing to do with it?

Comment

• Originally posted by SAN D13GO VILLAN View Post
        That's why he said that him and his team will talk and decide if he will move to 160 or not... I honestly don't think they were to concern with the belt as much as they were with Cotto... They wanted Cotto on his resume... But I do agree he should vacate and fight him when he's ready.
        Uhmm, hes the WBC/Lineal Middleweight Champion of the World. Do you have any idea how absurd your statement is?

Comment

• How long will the Mexican public allow Canelo to fight at CWs and duck GGG? Eventually the poor dude will have no choice but to fight GGG and drop the CW fights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
            Middle weight is 154lbs.01 oz-160lbs
            Fawking ******!
            Yes he is a middleweight
            Show me one middleweight prior to joto and Can't-Nelo who outs up his middleweight belt at CW?
            Can't-Nelo = red headed Poosay!
            no mw is 155lbs.01 oz to 160
            The rules are set

Comment

• I see you ignored all the points of my argument as they were not convenient. 160 pound mandatory challenger = 160 pound fight. Anything else is BS. Agree on the history of the belt. All those catch weights to get the belt don't justify catch weight mandatory defense.

Originally posted by sparkman0811 View Post
              It really isn't. Who did he beat to get that middleweight title? Hmm, lets see, another guy who had no business at middleweight, and who most likely will finish his career at 154. I absolutely never defended a catch-weight fight. Canelo should vacate if he doesn't fight GGG next. Next point, what does it matter if he walks around at 175? Do you understand the difference between walk around weight and fighting weight? Surely, you don't think Canelo can fight guys at 168 or 175, just because he walks around at this weight. Really poor arguments on your part.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
                no mw is 155lbs.01 oz to 160
                The rules are set
                Middleweight is anything up to 160lbs

Cotto was 153lb. Floyd/Maidana fought at 147 for a 154 title, Leonard/Lalonde fought at 167/168 for a 175 title.

Theres no minimum weight in any division, though extreme weight disparitys aren't acceptable from a medical point of view. Fighters choose which division to fight in, it's up to them to ensure they don't exceed the legal (or contractual) weight limit.

Which rules to do you mean?

Comment

• Nothing wrong with anything your saying except he has a mandatory and a mandatory is at the weight limit, cpvacate the belt and grow into the division. Don't piss on the division with this crap for a a mandatory challenge.

It really isn't. Who did he beat to get that middleweight title? Hmm, lets see, another guy who had no business at middleweight, and who most likely will finish his career at 154. I absolutely never defended a catch-weight fight. Canelo should vacate if he doesn't fight GGG next. Next point, what does it matter if he walks around at 175? Do you understand the difference between walk around weight and fighting weight? Surely, you don't think Canelo can fight guys at 168 or 175, just because he walks around at this weight. Really poor arguments on your part.
                  He is a junior middleweight, that needs to go up to 160, not 155. To be a middleweight, you need to fight middleweights, and not guys who come in at 153.5 for a "middleweight" title fight. Let him fight a few true 160 lb. guys, let him come in at the 160 lb. limit, let him take some punches from the big boys. What's wrong with that? You call him a middleweight and he's never fought a damn middleweight in his life.

Comment

• Originally posted by techliam View Post
                    Middleweight is anything up to 160lbs

Cotto was 153lb. Floyd/Maidana fought at 147 for a 154 title, Leonard/Lalonde fought at 167/168 for a 175 title.

Theres no minimum weight in any division, though extreme weight disparitys aren't acceptable from a medical point of view. Fighters choose which division to fight in, it's up to them to ensure they don't exceed the legal (or contractual) weight limit.

Which rules to do you mean?
                    Canelo changed the rules
                    155lbs is its own division

Comment

• Originally posted by PeterinMI View Post
                      I see you ignored all the points of my argument as they were not convenient. 160 pound mandatory challenger = 160 pound fight. Anything else is BS. Agree on the history of the belt. All those catch weights to get the belt don't justify catch weight mandatory defense.
                      Middleweight isn't necessarily 160lb, so it wouldn't be right to say '160 pound challenger'. I'm against one fighter trying to force another fighter to weigh less, because their own body isn't yet 'ready', at least in championship fights. Each fighter should be able to come in as they like, as long as it doesn't exceed 160.

That being said, it doesn't reflect the situation in reality. If Canelo wants to hang on to his belt, he's going to have to pay GGG a lot of money to come in at 155. I think a weight of 157 would be fair, with GGG getting a fair split of the purse. If Canelo wants to keep his belt, and GGG doesn't agree to a catchweight, it'll go to purse bids... where GGG is entitled to 45% of the purse, with no catchweight, as interim champion. That's assuming the WBC keep to their word.

Canelo can always pay step aside fees, or vacate his title. If Golovkin unifies MW, i'm really not sure where Canelo can go, as he gets older and is unable to drain closer to 154 anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X