• Show
Clear All

• is 3000 calories sufficient or to much

I'm 6 foot 2 1/2 inches weight 150 lbs and I'm 15 years old 12% body fat

I run 4.1 miles everymorning in about 35 min

I walk about 2 miles from school and to boxing

I have 60-100 min boxing classes daily consiting of cardio and sparring

I lift weights 20 min a day

I'm trying to gain muscle and endurance. Is 3000 calories a day enough or do I need more if so how much. Thank you

Hey man, I read an article in Men's Health that said take your target weight, and then multiply it by 11 + 1 for each hour of exercise you do, whether intense cardio, warm ups, or weights. I'm guessing the walking would not count, but the rest would. That is how many calories you should eat a day. Of course, that's a generalization, but it should give you some idea.

Comment

so 1800 calories? thats not right

Comment

Maybe around 3300-3500 if you're trying to gain 8-12 pounds of lean muscle (which is a lot if it's all muscle) To maintain your weight, just living a lifestyle where you don't burn calories, you would have to consume around 2000 calories. Running 4 miles in 35 minutes you're burning about 450-500 calories. Walking 2 miles is another 170ish. . . Your boxing classes and weight lifting are prolly burning 500-700 calories. That's A LOT of calories your toasting away on a daily basis bro. . . Not to mention you're very young with fast metabolism and your body is still growing. .

I'd try to consume about 3500 calories; just make sure most of those extra 500 calories are "clean" calories like complex carbs, healthy fats, and proteins.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyJunior View Post
          so 1800 calories? thats not right
          How did you get that number? For easy figures, let's say by daily you mean 5 days a week, and lets round the run to 30 mins and the boxing to 90. That's 10 hours of exercise a week, so 11 + 10 is 21, times your target weight (let's say you are looking to pack on 10 pounds of muscle to get to 160), that would be 3,360 calories a day.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
            Maybe around 3300-3500 if you're trying to gain 8-12 pounds of lean muscle (which is a lot if it's all muscle) To maintain your weight, just living a lifestyle where you don't burn calories, you would have to consume around 2000 calories. Running 4 miles in 35 minutes you're burning about 450-500 calories. Walking 2 miles is another 170ish. . . Your boxing classes and weight lifting are prolly burning 500-700 calories. That's A LOT of calories your toasting away on a daily basis bro. . . Not to mention you're very young with fast metabolism and your body is still growing. .

I'd try to consume about 3500 calories; just make sure most of those extra 500 calories are "clean" calories like complex carbs, healthy fats, and proteins.
            Yeah...good advice, that is a LOT of work for someone 15 years old.....especially only taking in 3000 cal/day. Pretty soon, you should start melting away muscle as well....start looking like a marathon runner.

Comment

ok will try 3300-3400

Comment

3000 calories daily is perfect for someone that uses up 3000 calories daily and wishes to stay at the same weight

Comment

Originally posted by Travelfan View Post
                  Hey man, I read an article in Men's Health that said take your target weight, and then multiply it by 11 + 1 for each hour of exercise you do, whether intense cardio, warm ups, or weights. I'm guessing the walking would not count, but the rest would. That is how many calories you should eat a day. Of course, that's a generalization, but it should give you some idea.
                  men's health magazine? hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyJunior View Post
                    I'm 6 foot 2 1/2 inches weight 150 lbs and I'm 15 years old 12% body fat

I run 4.1 miles everymorning in about 35 min

I walk about 2 miles from school and to boxing

I have 60-100 min boxing classes daily consiting of cardio and sparring

I lift weights 20 min a day

I'm trying to gain muscle and endurance. Is 3000 calories a day enough or do I need more if so how much. Thank you
                    Dont just eat as many calories as possible. Make sure, as I'm sure you heard before, to eat at least 1 g of protein per bodyfat, get a lot of carbs in but dont go overboard with them, and watch how much fat you take in. If you just eat a crazy amount of calories you will gain weight but it may not be lean mass.

And I would fix up your lifting/running schedule a little because you seem to do a little bit of everything every day. Try and lift 3-4 times a week for about 45 min and running the 4.1 miles the days you dont lift.

With your frame and if you get a solid diet you will see some big noob gains from lifting.

Comment

Working...
                    X