No announcement yet.

Jake's training routine/plan/journal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seldomTap
    That is spot on Jake. Was impressive to see. You have inspired me to change my programme somewhat also. Pretyy much what you did the other day will become my programme twice a week during the season as I won't have the time or energy to lift 4 days a week.

I will lift heavy again!
    Thanks mate - hearing you talk about all your rugby training was inspiring. I will lose the excess weight around the midsection and I will then work on my cardio and flexibility. I will work on this routine for about 6-8 weeks first, then reassess and see from there. Rugby is a tough sport, no ifs or buts about it. It's good conditioning for full contact fighting I can imagine!

I was thinking about your routine - lift maybe twice a week (Mon/Thurs?) and do rugby for the rest of the week. Just don't neglect your BJJ... just relegate it to maintenance - maybe once or twice a week? (weekends perhaps).

- The Jake

Comment

At this stage, I plan to lift mondays and fridays, both days pretty heavy. Rugby is tuesday and thursday nights, wednesdays also at moment, but that will soon go. BJJ will be a wednesday pursuit or wheneve Magic quits ducking me and wants to roll. Saturday will be game day for Rugby.

Running a lot has helped my conditioning amazingly of late. Am stoked I decided to go back to it, am keen for games to start properly ASAP!

Comment

Monday -

Arju goes back to LA in two days whilst I'm stranded here filing immigration crap.

So my training so far has been spending time with her.

It's been a tough routine - a fair whack of takeaway, ice cream and beer. I try and keep it in moderation. So far only having 2-3 meals a day to try and keep down excess calories and so forth.
        I will begin training as of Saturday this week most likely to keep in line with the program I've detailed above.

- The Jake

Comment

PS:

I will use the program as Seldom outlined:

Monday Chest/Triceps/forearms
          Tues Back/hams/biceps
          Wed Quads/Calves/Shoulders/Abs
          Thurs
          Fri
          Sat Heavy Day
          Sun

But I need help ironing out what I will do on the "light" days.
          I need to work on my widegrip and close/underhand grip chinups.

Ideally, we're talking 10-20 reps/set, 3-4 sets. But I'm lucky if I can do 6-10 reps on chins with my bodyweight, and my shoulders...

Here's what I'm thinking:

Monday: Chest/tri/forearms

- Bench Press
          - Incline Dumbell Presses
          - Cables/Pec Dec

- Tricep pushdowns
          - Tricep extensions
          - Tricep cable pulldowns

- Forearm burns
          - Farmer Walks
          - Forearm curls
          - Forearm reverse curls

Tuesday: Back/hams/biceps

- Widegrip Pullups (damn I miss my wraps)
          - Closegrip, underhand chinups
          - Bentover/seated rows

- Stiff legged deadlifts
          - Lying Leg extensions
          - Seated leg extensions

- EZ Bar curls (wide grip)
          - EZ Bar curls (close grip)
          - Concentraction Curls

Wednesday: Quads/Calves/Shoulders/Abs

- Incline Leg Press or Squats
          - Lunges
          - Leg extensions or hack squats

- Incline Calf Press
          - Seated Calf Press
          - Standing Calf Raise
          - Donkey Raises (if my partner is around)

- Military Press
          - Lateral Dumbell Raises
          - Bentover Dumbell Raises

Saturday - HEAVY DAY

Bench
          Squat
          Deadlift
          Military Press
          Bentover Row
          Power Cleans

These will be no more than 2-3 sets, with approximately anywhere from 1-5 reps. The idea on these days is to push heavy, test limits.

Each work out I expect will take about an hour to an hour and a half, except heavy day which should take less than an hour.

Tell me what you think.

- The Jake

Comment

Jake-why don't ya like Shooto?

Also, if you are looking to pack on some strength, heres a link , scroll down to add 50 lbs on bench. I'm going to start doing this in a month. Also has some other good spreadsheets if you look through em.

Comment

Not bad mate...perhaps one too many things on small isolation exercises (ie forearms) but I guess that is the idea of lighter days.

Hope Shara has a safe trip back and you two are able to get back together ASAP

Comment

I know there's a lot on forearms but the reason being is that forearms are one of my weakest links. So I want to work on them.

If there is a high number of isolation exercises it is because I am weak in a particular area to some extent.

- The Jake

Comment

1/3/2003

Just got back from gym. Today was my first heavy day after a two week lay off, not counting the session with Seldom & Magic.

As of today I would say I am back to where I was before I went to America, and a bit stronger:

Here are the one rep maxes
                  Smith Bench 330 lbs
                  Deadlift 400 lbs (approx.)
                  Power Clean 165lbs
                  Squat 350 lbs*
                  Bent Over Row 220 lbs
                  Military Press 220 lbs

* my squat was down a lot today. tighteness in the quads being the main cause I'd say. Although the fact it was the fourt exercise today probably played some part in it. Next time I'll do Squat first I think. The fact I had no spotter and relied on the smith machine to compensate also induced some psychological fear of ****ing myself up permanently and no doubt affected the lift as well.

I tried power cleans for 195 - almost made it but not quite. This is only the second work out I've ever tried them before so I'm pretty pleased. I'm hoping to work to exceed 200lbs in the next month or so.

Next heavy workouts, I will work at 80% of my 1RPM, for 3-5 reps.
                  Can't do one rep maxes every week (no matter how much fun they were).

The breakdown is as follows:

Bench: 264 lbs x 3-5 reps
                  Deadlift: 320 lbs x 3-5 reps
                  Squat: 320 lbs x 3-5 reps
                  Power Cleans: 130 x 3-5
                  Bent Over Rows: 176 lbs x 3-5 reps
                  Military Press: 176 lbs x 3-5 reps

Overall, a good workout. Given my current rate of progress on my lifting over the past two months, I have little doubt these will improve rapidly

- The Jake

Comment

Today was my light workout

Apart from a mild pec strain, I did ok. I attribute the strain to Melbourne's completely ****house weather and despite usual precautions, an inadequate warmup. **** I hate our weather.... *grumble*

Chest

Bench 100 x 12 / 150 x 10 / 200 x 7 / 200 x 4
                    - I meant to go lighter than this... or maybe I meant to do more reps? I figured I should have been able to do 200 x 10 but my pec was giving me the proper ****s.
                    Incline DB Press 50 x 10 / 60 x 12 / 70 x 10
                    Cables 7 x 15 / x 13 / x 12
                    - not sure how many lbs this, that's the setting on the machine

Triceps
                    Close Grip Smith Bench 140 x 10 / 10/ 10
                    Tricep Extensions 40 x 15/ 50 x 10/ x 12
                    Tricep Cable Extensions 35lbs x 13/15 , 40 x 12/12, 45 x 10/10
                    - this is right arm, left arm

Forearms
                    Forearm burns 400lbs 12 count/ 8 count/ 4 count
                    - I think I felt extremely rushed at this point so these exercises are down from their usual....
                    Farmer Walks 99lbs. 3 laps. Again, rushed.
                    Forearm curls 40lbs x 12/ 60 x 15/ 60 x 15
                    Reverse Curls 60 x 15/ 60 x 15 / 60 x 12

Overall a good workout and excellent pump. However I am less than happy with my bench. I will stretch heaps between now and saturday to ensure my chest is ok for heavy day.

Tomorrow, quads, calves & shoulders.

- The Jake

Comment

Light day again. This time legs & shoulders. I barely had time to do everything. I had cereal about 30min before training. If I eat 60 min or less before I do legs, I want to puke. Felt like that again today.

Legs
                      Squats (remember this is at 50% of my 1RPM so don't laugh) 80kg (176lbs) + bar x 16/14/12 = total of 220 lbs....
                      - been ages since I tried repping on squats. My max ever on this weight was 22.... but not in the morning let me tell you. Hate training in the morning.

Incline Leg Press 280kg (616) x 12/13/14
                      - yep. 50% again. Note this varies from the program where I normally do lunges. My stomach told me not to do lunges so I paid attention. Instead I went as low and deep as possible and churned out the reps to make the quads and hammies hurt.

Leg Extension 175lbs x 12/12/12
                      - I normally do the highest setting (275) for 12. Not sure what happened here. Attributing fatigue and rushed sense of time to get it all done.

Calves
                      Seated Calf Press 400lbs x 25/20/21
                      - nothing spectacular. boredom really. Probably should have pushed myself harder but repping out the weights has never been a strength of mine.

Standing Calf Raises 300lbs x 25/30/26
                      - I could tell here I wasn't really trying. I should have pushed out a minimum of solid 30 reps a set here. Lack of motivation again methinks.

Shoulders
                      Korn started playing on Channel V here. Only reason I did well on the first set here

DB Shoulder Press 50lbs x 22/16/12
                      Side Raises 25lbs x 12/12/12
                      Bent Over Raises 25 x12/12/12

- Shoulders I really rushed it. That was done inside of ten minutes. I went a bit too heavy on side raises and bent over raises, as the intention was to rep it out a bit more than that.

Nevertheless, all my sets were 12 or more reps so I can't complain too much.

A reasonable workout but motivation left a lot to be desired. My body was screaming to do a back work out but I didn't want to. Will do that tomorrow.

- The Jake

Comment

Working...
                      X