No announcement yet.

Mass Effect Was The Greatest Trilogy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No it wasn't.

Great universe created but hardly the best trilogy.

I love how they took MGS4 near final sequence. Where you run down the hallway of dwarf geckos and then slowly make your way through the microwave room.

Run down a slope with lasers, then slowly make your way to the light.

I laff'd the first time I seen it.

Comment

Is it worth playing from 1 to 3? I haven't played the ME games apart from ME3 demo before it released.

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
        Is it worth playing from 1 to 3? I haven't played the ME games apart from ME3 demo before it released.
        Start from 2 IMO..

Gameplay in 1 is way to dated.. maybe at the time it was good though.. story seems great..

ME 2 was great.. i actually played 3 First.. which i loved also.. the gameplay is really good.. story seemed great at first.. But i actually stopped playing it in 3/4 through because i heard the **** about terrible ending and wanted to DL the DLC (i didn't have internet working at the time)

So i started up ME 2 and woaaah the story was great.. the gameplay is almost as good as 3 not quite as polished. Don't want to ruin it for you though.. + the interaction with teamates is far greater and more enjoyable the in 3 IMO

Don't get me wrong 3 is good but 2 is superior

Comment

Originally posted by BEDROOM BULLY View Post
          Start from 2 IMO..

Gameplay in 1 is way to dated.. maybe at the time it was good though.. story seems great..

ME 2 was great.. i actually played 3 First.. which i loved also.. the gameplay is really good.. story seemed great at first.. But i actually stopped playing it in 3/4 through because i heard the **** about terrible ending and wanted to DL the DLC (i didn't have internet working at the time)

So i started up ME 2 and woaaah the story was great.. the gameplay is almost as good as 3 not quite as polished. Don't want to ruin it for you though.. + the interaction with teamates is far greater and more enjoyable the in 3 IMO

Don't get me wrong 3 is good but 2 is superior
          LOL are you ******ed?

Start with 1 and don't play further than 1.

1 is the best in the series by a long margin and you get to make up your own ending/scenario in your mind as to what happens passed 1 as opposed to the ****fest/retcons/zero progress "sequel" known as Mass Effect 2. (Still a good game but absolutely **** when you consider it's supposed to be a sequel in a trilogy).

Comment

Originally posted by fishscale View Post
            LOL are you ******ed?

Start with 1 and don't play further than 1.

1 is the best in the series by a long margin and you get to make up your own ending/scenario in your mind as to what happens passed 1 as opposed to the ****fest/retcons/zero progress "sequel" known as Mass Effect 2. (Still a good game but absolutely **** when you consider it's supposed to be a sequel in a trilogy).
            Listen ****face

The gameplay in ME 1 is a bit of a mess at times.. i have known people start at one and stopped because of the stupid space car bits and other clunky bits from it. Story isn't always enough for everyone.. its 2013 now.. the gaming industry takes big leaps every year... let alone every 6 years... most of these kids were brought up on COD..

Anyway ME 2 maybe tainted if you played all through ME1.. i only played parts however so ME 2 was the best for me. Ask most people who have played all 3 and they will say 2 was the best especially for the ending..

The story in 2 may not have been massive progress in terms of story.. but then its a link between the start and ending of a story and it worked far better then 3 thats for sure. The beginning.. working with TIM/gathering your team.. collector attacks and then a suicide mission

Comment

Listen ****face

The gameplay in ME 1 is a bit of a mess at times.. i have known people start at one and stopped because of the stupid space car bits and other clunky bits from it. Story isn't always enough for everyone.. its 2013 now.. the gaming industry takes big leaps every year... let alone every 6 years... most of these kids were brought up on COD..
              The game play is fine, the loading issues can be annoying and the inventory/loot system is a mess, apart from that, the actual fighting mechanics are fine, like playing an updated Quake 3 (best fps of all time) in terms of game play.

Anyway ME 2 maybe tainted if you played all through ME1.. i only played parts however so ME 2 was the best for me. Ask most people who have played all 3 and they will say 2 was the best especially for the ending..
              ME 2 as a stand alone game is very good, it has an average story but the best part of it is the characters and their back stories/side mission, very fleshed out, well written characters. The game play (for me) was a step down from ME 1 with the Ammo system and the fact all fighting was reliant on duck and cover, every. single. fight.

But then you realise it's supposed to be a sequel in a trilogy....so you get all these new characters and side stories (when you already had a fully fleshed out team from ME1 w/ their own side stories so...absolutely no progress in that regard and infact ends up adding extra characters..just because) your universe somehow loses technological progress by going from unlimited Ammo to limited Ammo and the story line is literally a re-telling of Mass Effect 1 except with more plot holes, less sense, less intrigue and dumbed down.

So to sum it up, where does Mass Effect 2 build onto Mass Effect 1?

Storyline - nowhere, it literally progresses nowhere. It adds a whole games worth of story without progressing anything - truly remarkable game making by a company that got taken over by EA at this point (so it makes sense).

Game play - They took most of the RPG elements out, dumbed it down and made it more COD friendly.

Characters - They didn't build on any of the characters from Mass Effect 1 in any meaningful way imo. Apart from maybe Joker and Liari.

Graphics - better as should be expected.

The story in 2 may not have been massive progress in terms of story.. but then its a link between the start and ending of a story and it worked far better then 3 thats for sure. The beginning.. working with TIM/gathering your team.. collector attacks and then a suicide mission
              It didn't progress anything or link anything from Mass Effect 1 to 3, Mass Effect 2 could be its own game completely and you wouldn't know the difference.

Infact, it retconned all the progress and efforts done in Mass Effect 1, apparently none of the 11 billion population saw a giant sentient Hand attacking the Citadel and no one knows of the Reapers despite the whole reason for ME 1 was proving their existence to the counsel (which they ACKNOWLEDGED AT THE END OF ME1) and trying to thwart their plans and rally the galaxy against them.

All in all, Mass Effect 2 is a good stand alone game. It's a HORRIBLE "sequel" in a Trilogy.

Comment

Mass Effect 2 was a better game with better characters, Mass Effect 1 had the better story and did better with the universe.

Both are incredible games.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  Mass Effect 2 was a better game with better characters, Mass Effect 1 had the better story and did better with the universe.

Both are incredible games.
                  When you consider what Mass Effect 2's purpose is supposed to be within a trilogy, you'll see it failed miserably. On that note I can never rate it highly. It's a good stand alone game, no way in hell was it a "better game" though. The atmosphere of Mass Effect 1 is enough to blow ME2 completely out the water.

Comment

Originally posted by fishscale View Post
                    When you consider what Mass Effect 2's purpose is supposed to be within a trilogy, you'll see it failed miserably. On that note I can never rate it highly. It's a good stand alone game, no way in hell was it a "better game" though. The atmosphere of Mass Effect 1 is enough to blow ME2 completely out the water.
                    The shooting and missions were way better in ME2. It's like going from Doom to Halo. Add in how good the characters were and I think it's a better game.

Middle portions of trilogies always face the difficulty of being the part of the story that isn't starting or ending anything. I thought ME2 did a good job of dealing with that problem.

The problem is ME3 did a HORRID job of tying the two games together. That's not ME2's fault, it's ME3's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                      The shooting and missions were way better in ME2. It's like going from Doom to Halo. Add in how good the characters were and I think it's a better game.

Middle portions of trilogies always face the difficulty of being the part of the story that isn't starting or ending anything. I thought ME2 did a good job of dealing with that problem.

The problem is ME3 did a HORRID job of tying the two games together. That's not ME2's fault, it's ME3's fault.
                      I already explained above why ME2 was a horrible "sequel".

Also

Originally posted by bojangles1987
                      It's like going from Doom to Halo.
                      Exactly. lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X