Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greater Fighter, Roy Jones Jr or Thomas Hearns?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    Hopkins was never on Roy's level which is why he chose to avoid a rematch with him until 2010 when Roy was totally shot and unfit to fight anybody.
    I dont care about any of that. Im talking about Roys win over Hopkins in 1993. It wasnt that great a win, since Hopkins was still green.
    A good win.
    Not a great one.
    Not on the level of a Hearns over Benitez or Leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
      I dont care about any of that. Im talking about Roys win over Hopkins in 1993. It wasnt that great a win, since Hopkins was still green.
      A good win.
      Not a great one.
      Then Roy was even more green, he had been boxing for less time.

Obviously I disagree but to each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
        Then Roy was even more green, he had been boxing for less time.

Obviously I disagree but to each his own.
        how so? Roy had been training since he was a child, since his father was a professional boxer and his trainer pretty much his whole career. Not only that, but Roy had an extensive amateur career.

Hopkins, unless Im mistaken, started boxing while in jail, already in his 20s.

regardless, Roy was obviously much closer to his prime than Hopkins was.

Comment

how so? Roy had been training since he was a child, since his father was a professional boxer and his trainer pretty much his whole career. Not only that, but Roy had an extensive amateur career.

Didn't Hopkins say he started boxing in jail at 17? Or was it that he boxed on and off when he was 17.

Sorry I can't quite remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Tha Executioner View Post
            Didn't Hopkins say he started boxing in jail at 17? Or was it that he boxed on and off when he was 17.

Sorry I can't quite remember.
            I think he was sentenced when he was 17, and took it up sometime in those 5 years.

so maybe he was a little younger when he started boxing, although I have to question if he was able to take it seriously while in jail.

Comment

I think he was sentenced when he was 17, and took it up sometime in those 5 years.

so maybe he was a little younger when he started boxing, although I have to question if he was able to take it seriously while in jail.
              I think that's how Bernard got so disciplined was because of jail.

I remember watching a docu on youtube and he said he read a lot in jail and taught himself to be very disciplined while in jail.

Comment

close call, i have always been a fan of both fighters and when Jones was "Ruling the Roost" as the best fighter in the world i often thought it would take a Thomas Hearns to beat him.. who is the greater i have not a clue as it's too close to call.

Comment

As much as I want to say RJ, I can't. Hearns clearly belongs above him.

Comment

A good win.
                    Not a great one.
                    It's not on that level, but that was the first championship fight for Jones too. So it's not like he had any experience in that situation either.

Comment

The commentators of the Hopkins-Baptist fight stated that Hopkins had 90 amateur fights before turning pro, but I do agree he wasnt near his prime then

Comment

Working...
                      X