No announcement yet.

Kelly Pavlik appreciation thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
    For me it was a "schooling", having in mind that I rooted for Pavlik...

Scorecards: Craig Metcalfe 115-112, Barbara Perez 115-111, Roberto Ramirez Sr. 116-111
    Just looked at compubox, and Pavlik actually outlander Martinez in five of the rounds...

Sorry mate - that is NOT a schooling... You don't outbox your opponent for a third of the fight, and get "schooled."

Most intelligent boxing fans, who are unbiased, would agree.

Again - glad to correct you That's all! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HiLo Rudyo! View Post
      I was just thinking bout Pavlik a little while ago for some reason, well timed thread. Pavlik was a fun fighter for sure. I never thought he had anything for Joe Calzaghe though, even back in 07 or so when he had HUGE momentum.

Really glad he retired when he did too. So he didn't end up an absolute trainwreck like JT has become.
      Yeah, hindsight is 20/20, and everybody who was calling for Pavlik/Calzaghe, and saying how Pavlik would have destroyed him, look pretty foolish.

Calzaghe is an ATG, and Pavlik at his best was a solid MW champion with solid fundamentals, an above-average boxing brain, and good power/chin.

Glad he's retired too, and actually has all of his millions to enjoy (if he eventually cleans his act up - and I'm sure with age he will mellow out)...

Comment

Originally posted by Flabulous View Post
        Just looked at compubox, and Pavlik actually outlander Martinez in five of the rounds...

Sorry mate - that is NOT a schooling... You don't outbox your opponent for a third of the fight, and get "schooled."

Most intelligent boxing fans, who are unbiased, would agree.

Again - glad to correct you That's all! Thanks!
        You can't "correct" reality: Martinez easily (i.e. tactically) controlled that fight.
        The same Compubox stat reads that he out landed Pavlik 230-164 (in terms of total punches) and 172-87 (in terms of power punches).

Comment

You just don't get white blue collar guys like Pavlik that often in modern boxing.

Youngstown legend.

Comment

Became a fan of him after he defeated Jermaine Taylor. It sucks that his vices was the root of his early down fall.

He should have learned from the Hopkins fight, and hired a better trainer.

Comment

There is absolutely no way to tell just how great Pavlik would have been had he not been also fighting personal demons his whole career.

But, based of the outstanding things he DID do, we can only guess that it would have been something else to see.

I hope guys like him and Jermaine find a way to live their lives in peace.

Comment

Working...
              X