No announcement yet.

Gamboa vs. Broner...a huge mismatch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
    So you're agreeing with this moron that Gamboa is OVERHYPED and has fought NO ONE?

You can call Lara and Rigo overhyped considering their opposition but Gamboa?

Has Gamboa even lost a round in his career? Even rounds where he has been KDed he came back hard in those same rounds and made a very good case for scoring them a draw.
    Gamboa has fought people. His win over De Leon, Salido, and even Mtwaga is good(in regards to how quick he did it compared to other top fighters), but he would be a major underdog in my eyes if he fought Broner now. Gamboa has done well but majority of those opponents that knocked him down were not very talented and that's why I myself consider him to be a bit chinny. A guy like Broner is strong enough and talented enough that if he knocks Gamboa down, he will finish him off. Honestly, I think the way Gamboa is built, he is a talent that isn't going to be moving up many divisions. His body is done growing, he shouldn't be in there with a guy that is still growing.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
      Not really, he has a balid point. Look at Lara who was being hyped just as much. It is no secret that a lot of Cubans are overrated, strictly because of their AM program. Gamboa is no different.

Gamboa is highly overrated and would be at a serious disadvantage against Broner. Gamboa may be fast, but he certainly isn't stronger than Broner. Gamboa's power comes from speed and punches you don't see. Broners power is actually raw power and can actually take an opponent apart. Add that to the fact that Broner himself is very quick, has a much larger frame and reach, and imo has better footwork(once again don't be mislead by Gamboas fast footwork ie; Amir Khan. Moving your feet and being quick on them is not GOOD footwork), I see Broner having any easy time with Gamboa. Honestly, wouldn't see this fight going much further than the 6th round.
      Some Cubans are hyped, some aren't. I think the same can be said about everyone else. I was never terribly high on Lara. I think he's a good fighter; I just don't see what everyone else thinks is so great. Rigo is, I believe, a rare talent that might've spent too much time in the amateurs. Among Cuban fighters, Gamboa is probably the best combination of style and substance. I don't think he's overrated at all. He was the best at 126 and he'll be the best at 130. If he loses to Broner, it would simply be a loss to a bigger, comparatively gifted fighter. It wouldn't confirm that Yuri is "overrated."

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Some Cubans are hyped, some aren't. I think the same can be said about everyone else. I was never terribly high on Lara. I think he's a good fighter; I just don't see what everyone else thinks is so great. Rigo is, I believe, a rare talent that might've spent too much time in the amateurs. Among Cuban fighters, Gamboa is probably the best combination of style and substance. I don't think he's overrated at all. He was the best at 126 and he'll be the best at 130. If he loses to Broner, it would simply be a loss to a bigger, comparatively gifted fighter. It wouldn't confirm that Yuri is "overrated."
        Excellent post. I agree

Comment

Gamboa has fought people. His win over De Leon, Salido, and even Mtwaga is good(in regards to how quick he did it compared to other top fighters), but he would be a major underdog in my eyes if he fought Broner now. Gamboa has done well but majority of those opponents that knocked him down were not very talented and that's why I myself consider him to be a bit chinny. A guy like Broner is strong enough and talented enough that if he knocks Gamboa down, he will finish him off. Honestly, I think the way Gamboa is built, he is a talent that isn't going to be moving up many divisions. His body is done growing, he shouldn't be in there with a guy that is still growing.
          Im not arguing whether he would beat Broner or not (anymore). Im arguing the fact that the other dude said Gamboa is overhyped and that he has fought no one.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            I'd agree with most of that but a lot of Cubans are hyped up big time. I remember them talking about Despaigne like he had a big future.

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
            Im not arguing whether he would beat Broner or not (anymore). Im arguing the fact that the other dude said Gamboa is overhyped and that he has fought no one.
            For 130 and lower, Gamboa is p4p material but I think people might consider him overhyped because the way Gamboa was talked about a few years ago was a once in a decade type of talent. Usually those type of talents can climb up many of divisions. Gamboa could very well be a guy that has topped out at a weight and wouldn't be that great any divisions above it. At 126 or below he has a chance to beat anyone.

Comment

Of Gamboa's four trips to the canvass, there was only one time where he even appeared remotely affected upon getting up. I don't see Yuri as being any more "chinny" than Juan Manuel Marquez or "Tito" Trinidad. The notion is often brought up, but I consider it a non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
                Still remember that time when everyone was sold on Abraham and very few picked Dirrell to beat him, I was one of the few that felt strongly that AA didn't have a shot, I feel the same way about this fight, people think it's some great match up when it's not. Gamboa is great, but it's not so much his height, his reach is a serious problem as well, as is his style. People are quickly assuming that his speed and power will translate at 135 but lets assume that it does, his in and out style wouldn't work. Broner is quick to pull the trigger, he's a great counter puncher as well and I personally don't think Gamboa will be able to handle that combination of speed and power. As soon as Gamboa jumps in, which he'll have to, Broner will line him up with straight right hands down the middle.

I like Gamboa at 130, plenty of fights that will eventually present themselves, Russell Jr, Mendez-Salgado winner, Uchiyama, Fortuna. Lets say Gamboa can make 126 healthy, he can get Donaire or Mares when they move up. He has endless opportunities.
                I remember that. You were actually one of the very few. The majority of people, including myself, thought Abraham would knock Dirrell out. Of course, people will now play it down but not many thought Dirrell would win.

I think Broner-Gamboa would play out as a chessmatch. People think power and speed, and both are action fighters, and think right away: action packed fight. But I think it would be very tactical. A lot more boxing involved than actual trading or knock downs.

Comment

I'd agree with most of that but a lot of Cubans are hyped up big time. I remember them talking about Despaigne like he had a big future.
                  Despaigne only had eight fights when he lost to Syllakh, so how hyped could he have been? I know I didn't hype him. Solis was hyped, Lara is hyped and Rigo is hyped (in his case, not without some merit). There are a lot of other Cuban fighters out there. Many of them are doing pretty well, but they're not getting much "hype," as it were. There's a kid named Angelo Santana. If you haven't seen him yet, look him up. There's a Cuban kid I'm ready to hype, but you may never have even heard of him.

Comment

For 130 and lower, Gamboa is p4p material but I think people might consider him overhyped because the way Gamboa was talked about a few years ago was a once in a decade type of talent. Usually those type of talents can climb up many of divisions. Gamboa could very well be a guy that has topped out at a weight and wouldn't be that great any divisions above it. At 126 or below he has a chance to beat anyone.
                    From 126 to 135 that's not climbing (which is what he plans to do)? And what type of logic is that? How can you knock on someone like Gamboa for not climbing weight classes considering his body type. How can you call someone overhyped cause he can't move up in weight classes? Do I have to remind you how many divisions Hagler climbed?

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                      I remember that. You were actually one of the very few. The majority of people, including myself, thought Abraham would knock Dirrell out. Of course, people will now play it down but not many thought Dirrell would win.

I think Broner-Gamboa would play out as a chessmatch. People think power and speed, and both are action fighters, and think right away: action packed fight. But I think it would be very tactical. A lot more boxing involved than actual trading or knock downs.
                      Broner's jab, straight right hand, counter left I don't think Gamboa would have much success getting in without paying, I don't think he can stay within mid/ or long range, I don't think he can turn Broner the way he did Salido, PDL, so much that he has to overcome. I'll be shocked if he can win more than 2 rounds.

I hope Dirrell gets it together man, I think Ward is the only guy that can touch him.

Comment

Working...
                      X