No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto, Agbeko and The Quest For Some Payback

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto, Agbeko and The Quest For Some Payback

By Thomas Gerbasi - The old adage is that revenge is a dish best served cold. Not in boxing. When a fighter is the victim of a wrongdoing, either real or imagined, there is nothing businesslike about the act of getting even. It’s all personal, no matter how gentlemanly things may play out beforehand.

Take Joseph Agbeko for example. Even after taking repeated low blows from Abner Mares in their first bantamweight title fight in August while referee Russell Mora stood idly by, the Ghana native only had this to say when asked why he didn’t fire back to a) get the referee’s attention or b) get Mares to stop: “I didn’t retaliate against him because I had to be professional and I have to obey the rules of the sport.”

That’s a classy tact to take, but don’t expect Agbeko to stand idly by if shots start straying low again. Not a second time.

Miguel Cotto has been less courteous to Antonio Margarito following their 2008 bout, one that the junior middleweight champion from Puerto Rico believes was tainted by the same illegal hand wraps confiscated from Margarito’s dressing room before a fight with Shane Mosley six months later. Cotto has even gone as far as to label the Mexican a “criminal,” even with no proof of any wrongdoing.

Both Agbeko and Cotto get rematches this Saturday night, one in California, the other in New York. It’s a bi-coastal quest to get a little get back, and while Agbeko has only had to wait four months to sing his redemption song, Cotto has had three long years of anticipation to attempt to avenge his first pro loss. The wait isn’t what’s important though; it’s what follows that wait which means everything.

That feeling is one that no one but a fighter would understand. The result of a particular fight is almost always seen in black and white terms – someone wins, someone loses. Yet when there are shades of gray involved, it makes for good copy for a while, but eventually just becomes a footnote in history, if that. Not for the fighter though. A particular loss can hurt financially in the short term, physically in the long term, and emotionally forever, especially if the loss is a controversial one.

No one knows that better than former junior welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi, whose August 2009 decision loss to Juan Diaz was one of the most disputed verdicts of the year. [Click Here To Read More]

I think they both got this. Won't be easy though. Cotto seems like he will bring everything he's got for this one. My concern is how easily Margarito took his shots the first time around. However, now his eye is suspect so that may play a factor. Regardless, If Cotto changes up his gameplan from the first fight and pressures Margarito the whole fight and works that body, I think he can win by decision or late stoppage.

Comment

Why is my signature so small??? I suck at this stuff haha!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerpimp
        to bad neither will get it.
        cant take you serious after i read your sig

Comment

Margarito ain't from another world.... He's from Tijuana, Mexico and yes he can be hurt.... Trust me

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerpimp
            to bad neither will get it.
            LOL...

Cotto got this, Margarito doesn't take shots easy, he just takes them. Pac broke his eye and he kept coming forward, the man is relentless, I give him that. Cotto put a hurting on Margs' face as well, they both got banged up. It just looks bad for Cotto bc eventually Margs was able to walk him down. Hopefully tomorrow we get to learn if illegal wraps may have helped him with that.

That said, Cotto has to switch up his tactics and stand his ground, clinch, etc.

Comment

This has to be the best weekend for fights for the whole year.

Comment

both mexicans win, here

Comment

Somebody inbox me your live stream sources. In return I'll inbox u the ones i know, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X